New Trier Varsity, IL (12/15/18) (Sun God & NAQT IS-180A)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

New Trier Varsity, IL (12/15/18) (Sun God & NAQT IS-180A)

Post by Stained Diviner »

The 2018 New Trier Varsity Tournament will take place on December 15. We will have an Über-Competitive Division and a Standard Division. The Sun God Set will be used in the Über-Competitive Division, and NAQT IS 180A will be used in the Standard Division.

To register for the tournament, use the attached Entry Form. To reserve spots for a team or apply to staff, contact me at [email protected] or post below. Team names must be the name of the high school that the students attend.

Because the two divisions are using different questions, and the Über-Competitive Division questions are very difficult for high school students, we are allowing all teams to register for the division of their choice. This means that there may be some very strong teams in the Standard Division. The tournament format will be determined based on the number of entries for each division. When you register, please let me know how many teams you want in each division.

This competition will follow PACE rules except there will be no bouncebacks on bonuses and 15 point powers.

The cost is $100 per team, which covers lunch for the students and coach. There is not a buzzer discount, but we expect teams to bring buzzers unless they have a good reason not to. Teams traveling long distances or who are in financial hardship can request a discount.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
Attachments
NTVEntryForm.pdf
(94.75 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Trier Varsity, IL (12/15/18) (Sun God & NAQT IS-180A)

Current Field:
Über-Competitive Division:
Barrington (1)
Carmel IN (1)
Chattahoochee (1)
DCC (1)
Latin (1)
Rockford Auburn (1)
Saint Joseph (1)
Sandburg (1)
Stevenson (1)
U of I Lab (1)

Standard Division:
Beacon Academy (1)
Belvidere (1)
Carmel IN (1)
Carmel Catholic (3)
Chicago Christian (1)
Evanston (2)
Fremd (3)
Glenbard North (3)
Glenbrook North (1)
Hoffman Estates (1)
Homewood Flossmoor (2)
Kaneland (1)
Latin (1)
Leyden (1)
Loyola (2)
Maine East (1)
Marengo (3)
New Trier (2)
OPRF (1)
Palatine (3)
Rockford Auburn (1)
Sandburg (4)
Springfield (2)
Stevenson (2)
Waukegan (2)
Whitney Young (1)

Staff:
Asta
Burnett
Carpenter
Damisch
Fedewa
Grana
Hannon C
Hannon F
Horvath
Horwitz
Kaushikkar
Kreb
Laudermith
Martin
Mayer
McCullar
McLain
Myers
Nagib
Nelson
Parks
Raje
Rohner
Ryan
Sacks
Silverman
Sperber
Stelzer
Tatman
Teichman
Teso-Warner
Wang
Yang

Buzzers:
Belvidere (1)
Carmel IN (2)
Carmel Catholic (2)
Chicago Christian (1)
Fenton (1)
Fremd (2)
Glenbard North (2)
Hoffman Estates (1)
Homewood Flossmoor (2)
Latin (2)
Leyden (1)
Loyola (2)
Maine East (2)
Marengo (1)
OPRF (1)
Palatine (1)
Rockford Auburn (2)
Sandburg (1)
Springfield (1)
Stevenson (1)
U of I Lab (1)
Waukegan (2)
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am, edited 21 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

If anything above is incorrect, or if you want to add your team to the list, let me know this week.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have 11 teams in Über-Competitive and 47 teams in Standard. I am capping the fields at 12 and 48.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The Standard Division is now full. I still have one Über-Competitive spot.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The Standard Division actually might have an opening.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Uber is down to 10 teams. Standard is full.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Standard has a spot. I might stop giving this the hourly update it doesn't deserve. If you want a spot, contact me.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We ended up with fields of 10 and 46.

The twelve teams still in the running for the Standard Championship are Belvidere, Chicago Christian, Evanston A, Fremd A, Fremd B, Glenbard North A, Latin B, Loyola A, Oak Park/River Forest, Palatine A, Springfield A, and Stevenson B.

One of the Uber morning pools was, in order, Stevenson, Chattahoochee, St. Joseph, Barrington, Carmel IN. The other pool in order was U of I Lab, DCC, Rockford Auburn, Latin, Sandburg. The top three teams in each pool are still in the running.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Uber All Tournament: Tomas Aguilar-Fraga (St. Joseph), Ethan Strombeck (Auburn), Ethan Ashbrook (U of I Lab), David DeBacker (DCC), Olivia Lamberti (Stevenson), Harrison Zhu (Chattahoochee), Mihir Paramush (Chattahoochee), Govind Prabhakar (Stevenson), Aristotle Vainikos (Sandburg), Abraham Holtermann (Barrington)

Standard All Tournamet: Kevin Kodama (OPRF), Benjamin Fry (Chicago Christian), Nick Larson (Belvidere), Ashish Subramanian (Hoffman Estates), Ryan Tsau (Palatine A), Myles Walker (Homewood-Flossmoor A), Ozzy Porrua (Leyden), Jeromel Lara (Glenbard North A), Bryan Wan (Fremd B), Aidan Fein (Springfield A), Vikas Reddy (Fremd A).
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Uber:
1. U of I Lab
2. Chattahoochee
3. Rockford Auburn
4. DCC

Standard:
1. OPRF
2. Fremd A
3. Evanston A
4. Latin B
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

STATS

Thanks to Jonah for putting the stats together after the tournament.

Also, thanks to Kyle Asta, Colby Burnett, Iain Carpenter, Alex Damisch, Ryan Fedewa, Jan Grana, Eric Guse, Clare Hannon, Frank Hannon, Coleman Horvath, Adena Horwitz, Nina Kaushikkar, Mike Laudermith, Kenneth Martin, Jack Mayer, Mitch McCullar, Brad McLain, Jakob Myers, Ali Nagib, Jeremy Nelson, Katie Parks, Tejas Raje, Will Rohner, BJ Ryan, Michael Sacks, Adam Silverman, Adam Sperber, Andrew Stelzer, Josh Tatman, Stuart Teso-Warner, Andrew Wang, and Ben Yang for staffing the tournament. We were very fortunate to get a lot of help from a lot of good people.

If anybody has feedback on the tournament, contact me or post here. If you have feedback on the Sun God set, go to your control panel and join that discussion. If you have feedback on the NAQT set, contact NAQT.
David Reinstein