WHAQ III Question-Specific Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

WHAQ III Question-Specific Discussion

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Since I believe that it helps with facilitating discussion, I would like to request that you let me know why you are requesting a specific question be posted (i.e. I thought there was an error in the question, I wanted to see where the powermark ended, etc.).

Here's who edited what:
David Dennis: Auditory FA, Current Events, the music questions in Other FA and some film
Sean Phillips: Trash, law questions in American History
Chandler West: Visual FA, visual non-film questions in Other FA, American History, the British part of European History
Ashwin Ramaswami: All of the science, Religion, 1 Mythology tossup
Brad McLain: Philosophy, Social Science, Geography, some of the Mythology
Mike Etzkorn: Literature
Myself: Head Editor; subject-edited non-British European History, World History, Miscellaneous History, split Mythology with Brad
Mitch McCullar and Matthew Lehmann assisted Brad and myself with looking over the Mythology
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Berniecrat
Tidus

Re: WHAQ III Question-Specific Discussion

Post by Berniecrat »

Could I see the tossups on bathing and sacrifice?

Govind negged the bathing tossup first line on abhishekam, with the understanding of what abhishekam is in Hinduism but saying worship instead. I negged sacrifice with Eucharist on what I thought had been a clue in the IMSANITY question on Eucharist (which I had negged there with sacrifice instead :( ) so I was wondering if i should have been prompted or if the clue was entirely different
Arjun Nageswaran
Aptakisic '17
Stevenson '21
Harvard '25
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here you are.
Packet 12 wrote:One Christianized form of this practice known as kourbania is still observed in parts of Greece. One form of this practice named the Ashwamedha involved letting a horse roam around for a whole year. A special ancient Greek form of this practice called the hecatomb involved 100 (*) cattle. A bloodless form of this practice called yajna [“yag-NYA”] is a central part of the Vedic fire ceremony. Abraham was commanded to use his son Isaac in this practice, which was replaced by a ram at the last second. For 10 points, name this practice that might involve the ritual killing of an animal.
ANSWER: sacrifice [or word forms; or horse sacrifice; or ritual slaughter; or animal sacrifice; or yagna before it is read; or killing; accept forms that involve sacrifice/killing a horse/animals] <Religion> <Tyler Benedict>/<ed. AR>
Packet 06 wrote:In an abhisheka [“abhi-SHAY-ka”], milk or honey can be used for this action done on statues of Hindu gods. In Islam, Ghusl mass al-mayyit refers to doing this action after touching a dead body. Misogi is a Shinto version of this practice that is performed near sacred waterfalls. Some Orthodox Jews always perform this action in a mikvah. In the (*) Kumbh Mela, people perform this action in holy rivers such as the the Ganges. For 10 points, name this method of purifying the entire body using water.
ANSWER: ritual bathing [accept equivalents such as “taking a bath;” prompt on purification before it is read; prompt on washing or synonyms] <Religion> <Ganon Evans>/<ed. AR>
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

Can I see the tossups on pulsars and testing?
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here they are.
Packet 08 wrote:These objects are named with their right ascension prefixed with either a “J” or with a “B,” depending on when they were discovered. The first extrasolar planets were discovered around one of these objects named Lich. A binary type of these objects named for Hulse and Taylor provided the first evidence for (*) gravitational waves. These objects, which were originally discovered by Anthony Hewish and Jocelyn Bell, emit a beam of radiation in an effect likened to a lighthouse. One of these objects is found in the center of the Crab Nebula. For 10 points, name these rotating neutron stars.
ANSWER: pulsars [prompt on neutron stars] <Other Science> <Ashwin Ramaswami>
Packet 09 wrote:Extreme programming encourages a type of “driven development” named for this process, which encourages developers to perform this process for each feature before writing their actual code. Continuous integration usually involves automatically running this process after building code. Assertions and mocks are widely employed in the (*) “unit” type of this process, done through frameworks such as Junit [“J-unit”], Karma, and Jest. This process is typically performed by software QA teams. For 10 points, name this process of making sure code works properly by finding bugs in it.
ANSWER: software testing [or automated testing; or unit testing; or word forms of “testing”; prompt on QA or quality assurance before “QA” is read; prompt on “bug fixing”] <Other Science> <Ashwin Ramaswami>
Jacob O'Rourke

EulerAlert
Lulu

Post by EulerAlert »

Could someone post the Illegal Immigration tossup? There was a protest at the MSU mirror that took a while to be resolved regarding whether Dreamers would/should be a promptable answer (being children at the time of immigration, their exact legal status, etc.)

Edit: For what it's worth, in the end it was ruled that it should have been prompted, although I'm not sure about accepted
Jason
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Packet 3 wrote:20. A wall on a facility for these people bears the quote: “Sometimes by losing a battle, you find a new way to win the war.” A policy concerning these people was directed in a memo that praised Operation Streamline. Treatment of these people is the subject of the Flores Settlement, which was cited by the White House as justifying a policy concerning these people. The Department of Homeland Security has attempted to rescind an act concerning these people, (*) DACA. For 10 points, name these people, some of whom, due to a “zero-tolerance policy,” were detained or deported separate from their families.
ANSWER: (children of) illegal immigrants [or undocumented immigrants; prompt on just immigrants] <Current Events> <David Dennis>
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

EulerAlert wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:29 pm Could someone post the Illegal Immigration tossup? There was a protest at the MSU mirror that took a while to be resolved regarding whether Dreamers would/should be a promptable answer (being children at the time of immigration, their exact legal status, etc.)

Edit: For what it's worth, in the end it was ruled that it should have been prompted, although I'm not sure about accepted
When I read this question a week ago, I recall the answer line indicating that DREAMer was acceptable up to a certain point in the question and promptable after that.
Stephen Goebel
Coach, C.E. Byrd HS 2013-2020
Unaffiliated, Caddo Magnet HS 2020-
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

sgoebel wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:41 pm
EulerAlert wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:29 pm Could someone post the Illegal Immigration tossup? There was a protest at the MSU mirror that took a while to be resolved regarding whether Dreamers would/should be a promptable answer (being children at the time of immigration, their exact legal status, etc.)

When I read this question a week ago, I recall the answer line indicating that DREAMer was acceptable up to a certain point in the question and promptable after that.
We changed the answerline to incorporate feedback from the MSU mirror.
Jacob O'Rourke

entropy
Wakka

Post by entropy »

Can I see the tossups on "amino acid(s)" and "ideal"? I think they were in round 13.

I negged the "ideal" tossup firstline with "condensate" after the tossup said something along the lines of "Bose and Fermi both name substances described with this adjective".
karan
utexas
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Here are the tossups.
Packet 11 wrote:Versions of these molecules containing selenol and pyrrole groups are not considered “canonical” types of these molecules. People with PKU cannot metabolize one example of these molecules, resulting in musty-smelling urine. The Miller-Urey experiment produced over (*) 20 types of these molecules from inorganic precursors. These biological molecules are zwitter-ionic, due to their possession of both amine and carboxyl groups. The isoelectric point of these molecules is determined by their R groups. For 10 points, name these biomolecules, the building blocks of proteins.
ANSWER: amino acids <Biology> <Aleija Rodriguez>/<ed. AR>
Packet 11 wrote:Both Bose and Fermi name quantum mechanical versions of a state of matter described by this adjective. This adjective describes mixtures for which the enthalpy of mixing is zero. The activity coefficient quantifies deviations from this type of behavior. Deviations from this state are quantified by the a and b parameters in the (*) van der Waals equation. Solutions described by this adjective have their vapor pressure determined in Raoult’s law. Gases with this property have zero volume and perfectly elastic collisions. For 10 points, name this adjective that describes a “gas law” that states PV equals nRT.
ANSWER: ideal [or ideal gas; or ideal solution] <Chemistry> <Ashwin Ramaswami>
Jacob O'Rourke

whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

I would like to see the tossup on the war of the triple alliance. I felt that at the beginning it was pretty easy to neg with Uruguayan civil war pretty early on.
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Three decisive, successive victories for one side in this conflict are collectively known as the Deed of December. Those battles were won by a man who besieged the fortress of Humaitá [“hoo-may-TAH”] during this war. This war began after the Blancos were defeated in an election by the Colorados, and one side’s forces were commanded by the Duke of (*) Caxias [“cax-ee-as”]. A head of state instigated this war by invading Mato Grosso. That man, Francisco Solano López, was killed at this war’s Battle of Cerro Cora, and led a nation that lost 90% of its male population. For 10 points, name this war, where Paraguay was defeated by Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil.
ANSWER: War of the Triple Alliance [or the Paraguayan War before “Paraguay” is read] <World History> <John John Groger>/<ed. JO>
David Dennis
Washington, MO

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

whatamidoinghere wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:37 am I would like to see the tossup on the war of the triple alliance. I felt that at the beginning it was pretty easy to neg with Uruguayan civil war pretty early on.
The Deed of December is applicable only to the War of the Triple Alliance.
Jacob O'Rourke

bluqiu
Lulu

Post by bluqiu »

Can I see the bonus part on white blood cells. I'm curious as to why it accepted lymphocytes but not leukocytes.
Billy Luqiu
Cave Spring High / Roanoke Valley Governor's School '19
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

3. Frogs have two pairs of “hearts” that pump this material. For 10 points each:
[10] Name this usually clear liquid that is mostly made of plasma. In mammals, this material enters the bloodstream at the subclavian vein, via the thoracic duct.
ANSWER: lymph
[10] These cells are the most common cells found in lymph. These cells, which help to fight infection, include T cells, B cells, and NK cells.
ANSWER: white blood cells [or WBCs; or lymphocytes]
[10] The surface of lymphatic vessels are lined with these cells, which also line the surfaces of blood vessels. Damage to these cells begins the clotting response.
ANSWER: endothelial cells [or endothelium; prompt on epithelial (cells) or epithelium] <Biology> <David Dennis>/<ed. AR>
Did some digging around, and everything I spotted says leukocyte is another name for WBC's. It should probably get added to the list, but that's Ashwin's call.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

For the illegal immigrants tossup, my teammate said "immigrants", was prompted, said "child immigrants", was prompted, said "Mexican immigrants", and was negged. I think the tossup either would have benefited from a specific prompt or a better answerline. Also, Uruguayan Civil War was accepted for Triple Alliance at our site, I'm not sure whether this was a moderator error or in the answerline.
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

ansonberns wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 am For the illegal immigrants tossup, my teammate said "immigrants", was prompted, said "child immigrants", was prompted, said "Mexican immigrants", and was negged. I think the tossup either would have benefited from a specific prompt or a better answerline. Also, Uruguayan Civil War was accepted for Triple Alliance at our site, I'm not sure whether this was a moderator error or in the answerline.
Based on what your teammate said, I think they should have been prompted further on Mexican immigrants. I'll ask David for his opinion on this.

Ok, so based on research, it was the election in Uruguay that helped the War of the Triple Alliance to begin. I'll clarify that in the tossup.
Jacob O'Rourke

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Yeah, I think that should have been prompted further. Jacob, let's set some time to talk about that one.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

1992 in spaceflight wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:28 pm
ansonberns wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 am For the illegal immigrants tossup, my teammate said "immigrants", was prompted, said "child immigrants", was prompted, said "Mexican immigrants", and was negged. I think the tossup either would have benefited from a specific prompt or a better answerline. Also, Uruguayan Civil War was accepted for Triple Alliance at our site, I'm not sure whether this was a moderator error or in the answerline.
Based on what your teammate said, I think they should have been prompted further on Mexican immigrants. I'll ask David for his opinion on this.

Ok, so based on research, it was the election in Uruguay that helped the War of the Triple Alliance to begin. I'll clarify that in the tossup.
After talking to David about it, we're going to change the answerline to accept just immigrants, since it seems that has affected playability.

And I've changed the clue about the election, since I misread a source when I edited that tossup.
Jacob O'Rourke

Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

One more thing: another teammate of mine negged the question on children in photography with "naked people" first line. Although I don't think that's an acceptable answer because the question said "a group of these people" it is a reasonable answer considering Napalm Girl is famously naked, so maybe it deserves a prompt in the first line.
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

ansonberns wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 am One more thing: another teammate of mine negged the question on children in photography with "naked people" first line. Although I don't think that's an acceptable answer because the question said "a group of these people" it is a reasonable answer considering Napalm Girl is famously naked, so maybe it deserves a prompt in the first line.
While this is an unfortunate neg, I've decided to not add a prompt on this since all of the other children in Napalm Girl are at least partially clothed. If others have similar complaints, I'll reconsider.

Hope your team enjoyed the set!
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
benchapman
Lulu

Post by benchapman »

May I please see the tossup on debugging (I don't remember if that was the exact answerline, but it was something along those lines) please?
Benjamin Chapman
Hunter College High School '21
University of Toronto '26
bmccauley
Wakka

Post by bmccauley »

ansonberns wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 am One more thing: another teammate of mine negged the question on children in photography with "naked people" first line. Although I don't think that's an acceptable answer because the question said "a group of these people" it is a reasonable answer considering Napalm Girl is famously naked, so maybe it deserves a prompt in the first line.
Going along these same lines, we had a player buzz on the first clue and answer "Vietnamese children" and there was some debate if they should take that. It ultimately was accepted after my player said vietnamese children in photographs, but my other teams reported a similar discussion in their rooms...perhaps it needed clarification in the answerline a bit more there?
*NOTE: I don't remember all of the specifics of the question without seeing it so maybe there was a reason to why it wasn't on the full answerline
Bernard McCauley
Coach, Great Valley High School (PA)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

benchapman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:27 pm May I please see the tossup on debugging (I don't remember if that was the exact answerline, but it was something along those lines) please?
Is it this tossup that you're thinking of?
Packet 09 wrote:Extreme programming encourages a type of “driven development” named for this process, which encourages developers to perform this process for each feature before writing their actual code. Continuous integration usually involves automatically running this process after building code. Assertions and mocks are widely employed in the (*) “unit” type of this process, done through frameworks such as Junit [“J-unit”], Karma, and Jest. This process is typically performed by software QA teams. For 10 points, name this process of making sure code works properly by finding bugs in it.
ANSWER: software testing [or automated testing; or unit testing; or word forms of “testing”; prompt on QA or quality assurance before “QA” is read; prompt on “bug fixing”] <Other Science> <Ashwin Ramaswami>
Jacob O'Rourke

Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

bmccauley wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 am
Going along these same lines, we had a player buzz on the first clue and answer "Vietnamese children" and there was some debate if they should take that. It ultimately was accepted after my player said vietnamese children in photographs, but my other teams reported a similar discussion in their rooms...perhaps it needed clarification in the answerline a bit more there?
*NOTE: I don't remember all of the specifics of the question without seeing it so maybe there was a reason to why it wasn't on the full answerline
This is an issue I didn't think about beforehand. That answer should definitely have been accepted, and I'm glad it ultimately was. I've added information to the answerline to hopefully prevent this in the future
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Here's the tossup, with new answerline:

16. A Pulitzer Prize winning Nick Ut photograph shows several people of this type running towards the camera. Lewis Hine is mostly known for photographing people of this type. A Diane Arbus photograph shows one of these people in Central Park holding a hand grenade. Two people of this type lean onto the shoulders of Florence Owens Thompson in a photograph from the (*) Great Depression by Dorothea Lange. For 10 points, name these young people often pictured alongside their parents in family portraits.
ANSWER: children[or girls; or boys; or kids, etc.; or Vietnamese children; or American children; generally accept any answer mentioning the word child; do NOT accept “infants” or “babies”] <Misc. FA> <Chandler West>
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
worr72
Lulu

Post by worr72 »

Could I see the tossup on Japanese literature? I want to know if the first clue is talking about a work in general or something more specific.
William Orr
Cooper MS '18
Langley HS '22
Yale '26
Epic QB player :cool:
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

worr72 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:51 pm Could I see the tossup on Japanese literature? I want to know if the first clue is talking about a work in general or something more specific.

Here you are
A character from this country feels himself aging when he momentarily forgets how to tie a knot and hears a sound that he associates with an omen of death. An alcoholic English teacher from this country looks to visit Africa and copes with his son being born with a (*) brain hernia. Bird is from this country in A Personal Matter, and this is the home country of the author who wrote The Temple of the Golden Pavilion. For 10 points, name this home country of Kenzaburo Oe [“oh-ay”] and Yasunari Kawabata.
ANSWER: Japan [or Nippon; or Nihon; the first clue is from The Sound of the Mountain] <Ganon Evans>/<ed. ME>
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Once it's approved, the set will show up here. Thanks to all of our hosts who hosted, and all of the players who played this year!
Jacob O'Rourke