NJ Date Claims 2018-19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

NJ Date Claims 2018-19

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Hey y'all. As usual, comment here with your tournament announcements and intentions. I will keep this list up to date with all tournaments and link announcements as they are made.

To quote myself (lol) from the Current state of NJ thread:
me wrote: I would advise everyone planning to host a tournament to keep in mind the gaps in the schedule when deciding what to do (e.g. too few novice tournaments, no nats-prep tournament, etc.). Especially if whatever tournament you are planning is not a staple of the schedule (e.g. PHSAT) keep this all in mind!
Without further ado!
Please let me know if any of the following information is incorrect. The ACT/SAT markers are intended for factual purposes; the red should not be conveyed as meaning "avoid these dates." Additionally, let me know if there are any holidays, religious or otherwise, that I should include:

Summer 2018: Open Summer Practices at Rutgers, 10 Seminary Place

September 1:
September 8: ACT
September 15:
September 22: Scarlet Knight Fall (IS-176A)
Fact @ Yale (IS-178A)
September 29: PHSAT @ Princeton University (IS-177)

October 6: SAT Columbia Fall, Columbia University (WHAQ III)
October 13:
October 20:
October 27: ACT SCOP Novice @ Hunter College HS (SCOP Novice)

November 3: SAT
November 10:
November 17: LIFT XVIII @ Kellenberg High School
November 24:

December 1: SAT
December 8: ACT
December 15: Princeton Novice Tournament
December 22:
December 29:

January 5:
January 12:
January 19:
January 26:

February 2: EB Funfest IV @ East Brunswick
February 9: ACT QuBIT V @ High Tech (RMBAT)
February 16:
February 23: Columbia Spring @ Columbia University

March 2:
March 9: SAT
March 16: Livingston March Madness (IS Set)
March 23: Prison Bowl @ Hunter College HS
March 30: Millburn

April 6:
(Sunday April, 7): 2019 IPNCT
April 13: ACT
April 20: NJ States @ Rutgers
April 27: EB Prenats III @ East Brunswick

May 4:
May 11:
May 18:
May 25: 2019 HSNCT

June 1:
June 8: 2019 NSC
June 15: Presumably NASAT will be here or the weekend after
Last edited by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Jack
Lulu

Re: NJ Date Claims 2018-19

Post by Jack »

Note that the splitting of the NY/NJ field posts is for the following reason:
Dead Parrot, talking about improvements to the NJ/NY circuit wrote:This has been discussed before, but it may be time to start thinking about splitting the NJ and NY circuits (i.e. running mirrors of the same set in both states). This could allow for greater outreach on both sides of the Hudson as teams would have greater ability and incentive to reach out to new schools in their respective areas. (NJ people could try to wean teams off of bad local formats like Jeopardy!-style tournaments while teams at Columbia, Hunter, and Bard can put greater focus on growing quizbowl in the Big Apple.) At the very least, there's no reason why the same A-set or novice set can't be mirrored in both NJ and metro NY if we need more opportunities for new teams to play good tournaments and join the circuit. This might be a dicier proposition for bigger tournaments like Prison Bowl, though.
This post will include and respect NY dates, but the thinking was that we emphasize that some tournaments might be able to be split between the two fields.

I have already begun contacting many schools in New Jersey that play crappy local formats and I have been surprised at the interest in a novice tournament. So far, around 8 or 9 schools (out of the 14? that I emailed) have indicated their interest (and these are schools that have never played pyramidal or haven't for years). Though Emmett indicated we may both end up having novice tournaments during the year, this is all tentative, but with any luck, we'll get many new faces next year to play quiz bowl.

For those of you who might be concerned about using up an IS-A set for novice tournaments (which would certainly have restriction/entry barriers), I have been in contact with Great Valley's Bern McCauley from PSACA, which produced a novice set last year (entirely written by Bill Tressler, no less!) and will do it again next year. In the event that Princeton holds a novice tournament, it would almost certainly be using this set.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

High Tech is tentatively scheduling QuBIT V for Feb. 16
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

As it stands now, Princeton University will be tentatively holding PHSAT XXVI on September 29th, 2018, and will also be tentatively holding an as-of-yet unnamed novice tournament on December 8th, 2018. This novice tournament will likely be exclusively for high schools in New Jersey, and will carry eligibility restrictions. Someone from our club will announce these tournaments in their own forum announcements at a future date.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
Rikku

Tentatively, Rutgers will be running Scarlet Knight Fall September 23rd. We are also aiming for a mid-late October novice tournament, but will plan that around other novice tournaments and schools' preferences.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

High Tech is moving the date of QuBIT V from Feb. 16 to Feb. 9
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
jshoung
Lulu

Post by jshoung »

As of now, East Brunswick plans to host EB Funfest IV on February 2nd, and EB Pre-Nats III on //April 27th//. More details will be announced closer to tournament dates, but they will likely be similar formats to past EB tournaments.

EDIT: PreNats has been rescheduled to April 6th to avoid conflicts with History Bowl.
Last edited by jshoung on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jon Shoung
Tournament Director
East Brunswick Academic Team
millburnhs
Kimahri

Post by millburnhs »

Millburn High School would like to claim Saturday, March 30 for our first annual Invitational Tournament.
Jackie Powers
Quiz Bowl Coach
Millburn High School
Rikku

Rutgers will be hosting NJ States on April 20, 2019 on a TBD set
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
jshoung
Lulu

Post by jshoung »

EB PreNats has been rescheduled to April 6th to avoid scheduling conflicts.
jon Shoung
Tournament Director
East Brunswick Academic Team