ANNOUNCEMENT: Lederberg Trinity (Summer 2019)

Old college threads.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: Lederberg Trinity (Summer 2019)

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I'm quite pleased to announce Lederberg Trinity, a science subject tournament to be played at ICT 2019. The distribution will be as follows (all tossups):

5 Biology
5 Chemistry
5 Physics
2 Astro
2 Math
2 CS
2 Data Science/Stats/Applied Math
1 Earth Sci

Difficulty will be similar to previous incarnations (i.e. "not easy") and the cost will be $15 per person.

A few additional things I want to do with this tournament:

1. I plan to continue Historature's charitable trend and donate all proceeds from this tournament to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

2. I'd like to train the next generation of science writers; if you, or your younger teammates, are interested in writing for this tournament, please get in contact with me through the usual channels. Your questions will help the effort.

3. As usual, I would love input from more experienced writers whose areas of expertise are different from mine. If you have any interest in contributing, please let me know.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Lederberg Trinity (Summer 2019)

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

more like l3d3rb3rg amirite
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

My cowriters so far include:
Aakash Patel
Geoffrey Chen
Steven Silverman
Paul Lee
Jonathen Settle
Jaimie Carlson
Anson Berns
Fred Zhang
Sohum Shenoy
James Lasker (also editing Astro)
Justin French
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I was kind of hoping for a miscellaneous category.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: 2 Data Science/Stats/Applied Math
hell yeah
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

okay but WHERE is my science TRASH at
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

So production on this tournament is proceeding well - unfortunately I've noticed that Jason has claimed ICT for his video game set, and I have neglected to be proactive about picking a date.

I'm open to suggestions - would people consider playing this at CO? Is there enough space at ICT for both events? Or should I postpone until 2020?
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

toblerone
Kimahri

Post by toblerone »

I will 100% play this tournament if it happens at 2019 ICT. I will not be at CO and idk if I'm doing quizbowl in 2020.
Alexander Harmata

Hickman 2016
Mizzou 2019
Michigan 2024
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 am I'm open to suggestions - would people consider playing this at CO? Is there enough space at ICT for both events? Or should I postpone until 2020?
I think there's space at ICT for both events, but I'm biased: I will almost certainly play this if you run it at ICT, and almost certainly will not if it's run at CO.
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I was also hoping to run STAR BOWL at ICT (as well as play Lederberg and GOLBEZ), but I can't be sure if I'll be there until after qualifications from SCT have been released, nor do I know if it will be possible to squeeze everything in. I also recognize I announced last, so I guess I get last dibs at ICT. I'm hoping the bigger field will be at NSC, though.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is a hard college-level difficulty tournament whose proceeds are going to charity. It seems like a hard college tournament like ICT would be the best place to run this to maximize audience and that furthermore this should take precedent over events which are not for charity.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:30 pm This is a hard college-level difficulty tournament whose proceeds are going to charity. It seems like a hard college tournament like ICT would be the best place to run this to maximize audience and that furthermore this should take precedent over events which are not for charity.
What tournaments that have already been announced for ICT weekend and aren't being run for charity are you thinking of, exactly?
Last edited by Auroni on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Even if this argument about charity giving an event precedence was an agreed-upon thing and not something you just made up:
GOLBEZ announcement wrote:Half of all the money I receive from this "pay what you think it's worth" fee structure will be donated to the Bounceback Foundation.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

I would very much like to play this, but I am staffing GOLBEZ where/when it is run (currently Saturday night at ICT), regardless of the date/time chosen for this tournament.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Also there's not a lot of stuff announced for CO this year, so there's certainly room there; however, Seth is also right that we could probably run both events at ICT fairly easily.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Would people be open to running something Friday night of ICT, or do teams generally get in too late for that?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm Even if this argument about charity giving an event precedence was an agreed-upon thing and not something you just made up
Yeah, I made it up. Shoot me.

Since tournaments exist to serve players, it seems to me to make sense to run tournaments where they will reach the largest possible appropriate audience. This is a hard academic tournament, so it seems logical to run its main mirror for a readymade collegiate audience that is presumably playing questions of similar difficulty, in addition to numerous D2 players who may wish to challenge themselves and/or staff who wish to participate - and a lot of these people (such as Alex H, who has posted above) won't be playing CO. I think this is particularly important to note given that a lot of the strongest high school science players (e.g. Geoffrey C, Sohum S, Akshay G, Abhinav G, Julia Z, Fred Z) are writing for this tournament, and won't be able to supplement the field at a hypothetical HSNCT mirror.

EDIT: as noted there's no real reason that it's impossible both, but for the reasons above, this tournament should receive the most favorable slot
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I don't know how long this event will take; we ran SOUNDTRACK on Friday night pretty easily, but that was a shootout.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Self-centered post but since my countrymen can't go to HS national stuff we'd love to have it over ICT or CO
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

As Seth, Rob, and others have posted, I certainly think it's possible that both events will be able to run comfortably over the course of ICT weekend. How many packets/rounds do you think Lederberg will end up having?
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Valefor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm As Seth, Rob, and others have posted, I certainly think it's possible that both events will be able to run comfortably over the course of ICT weekend. How many packets/rounds do you think Lederberg will end up having?
Hey Jason, thanks for being accommodating about this. It's currently 10 rounds of TU only, but we can certainly run a shortened format.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:57 pm Would people be open to running something Friday night of ICT, or do teams generally get in too late for that?
Eric what do you think about this? ICT Friday night events (GUERRILLA, actual tournament prelim games, etc.) have been run fairly successfully in the past, and the earlier people know about it the better they can plan for it.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

To echo what Rob said, would you be okay with running this Friday night? There are several reasons that might work out for the best. At some past ICTs I've been busy with tournament setup work until pretty late in the evening on Friday, so if GOLBEZ ran on Friday night I'm not 100% sure when I'd be free from that (whereas on Saturday night after ICT, my schedule is usually much more open/flexible). In addition, if you ran this on Friday, you could probably start earlier than would be possible on Saturday evening so you have time to get all the rounds in, and this could serve as something of a warm-up for science players competing in ICT the next day (with a comparatively light, after-dinner mint of video game trash after Saturday's tournament :) ).

Also as Rob said, if we go ahead and get this firmed up now, that should be plenty of time for people interested in playing to plan travel that works out, time-wise.

If I'm free earlier in the evening on Friday than I have been in the past and thus am available, I'm happy to help out with staffing this. :)
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Valefor wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 pm To echo what Rob said, would you be okay with running this Friday night? There are several reasons that might work out for the best. At some past ICTs I've been busy with tournament setup work until pretty late in the evening on Friday, so if GOLBEZ ran on Friday night I'm not 100% sure when I'd be free from that (whereas on Saturday night after ICT, my schedule is usually much more open/flexible). In addition, if you ran this on Friday, you could probably start earlier than would be possible on Saturday evening so you have time to get all the rounds in, and this could serve as something of a warm-up for science players competing in ICT the next day (with a comparatively light, after-dinner mint of video game trash after Saturday's tournament :) ).

Also as Rob said, if we go ahead and get this firmed up now, that should be plenty of time for people interested in playing to plan travel that works out, time-wise.

If I'm free earlier in the evening on Friday than I have been in the past and thus am available, I'm happy to help out with staffing this. :)
I'm absolutely ok with running this on Friday, and I'm hoping the fact that we've set this this early will give people interested in playing enough time to arrange their travel schedules to play it. And I think you're right - its probably a good warmup for ICT and will be harder to hear after. Thanks again for working this out with us.

Here is a team formation spreadsheeet. Have at it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Since it's around the time people start booking flights (including me), is there a potential start time that we should plan for?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Cody wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:49 pm Since it's around the time people start booking flights (including me), is there a potential start time that we should plan for?
Sorry for the delay. Lets target 630PM as a start time. I would recommend ordering food during the tournament as well.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Hey everybody, more updates. I would ideally like to have either 8 or 12 teams (8 would make a 7 game round robin and final, with an extra packet for play-in; 12 could be run in prelims of 6/6, then playoffs of 4/4/4, then two packets left for finals). Otherwise we would have to either have byes (with 9 or 11 teams) or not enough packets left for finals (10 team RR).

Between these two options, I would rather have 12 teams. Right now with free agents, there are enough players to fill 9 teams (36 players). It would be ideal if more people would sign up soon (ideally 12 people); the alternative is to allow 5-person teams, which I'm willing to do in a pinch.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Cody

Post by Cody »

For 12 teams, I would suggest a prelims of 6/6 to a crossover (split each bracket into top 3 and bottom 3, carry over 2 prelim games for every team). This takes the same number of rounds as splitting 4/4/4 but it keeps 50% of the field in contention instead of 33% and reduces variance in placement due to seeding. (Which is generally a problem through no fault of the people running the tournament -- seeding these types of events is often quite hard.)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Cody wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:25 am For 12 teams, I would suggest a prelims of 6/6 to a crossover (split each bracket into top 3 and bottom 3, carry over 2 prelim games for every team). This takes the same number of rounds as splitting 4/4/4 but it keeps 50% of the field in contention instead of 33% and reduces variance in placement due to seeding. (Which is generally a problem through no fault of the people running the tournament -- seeding these types of events is often quite hard.)
Oh yes that would make much more sense. We'll do that. Thanks!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Hey everyone, a couple announcements.

1. This set is on track to be finished for ICT. It is over 75% written as of right now.

2. I would like to have an online mirror of this tournament after HSNCT. However, I will probably be unable to host it, because I'll be finishing up my program and moving around that time. If people would be interested in that, and someone would be interested in hosting it, please LMK.

3. If anyone would be unable to play this set at any of its mirrors, it would be very helpful to have a second set of eyes on fields that I don't know as well (particularly pure math and physics). Please get in contact with me if you'd be willing to help me out.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Hey everyone, with five days left before the tournament, here's some updates and additional requests.

1. We have 226/240 questions edited for this set, and are well on pace to finish
2. We have 10 teams signed up, and enough free agents to cover two more teams. Please form two more teams ASAP.
3. James Lasker has kindly agreed to TD this tournament, because I can't make it due to my work schedule.
4. We're going to need rooms for this tournament (precisely six). I've included another column in the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0) for volunteering rooms - if you're playing this tournament, please consider volunteering your room as a game room for this tournament.

Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to it.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Sima Guang Hater wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:11 am Hey everyone, with five days left before the tournament, here's some updates and additional requests.

1. We have 207/240 questions edited for this set, and are well on pace to finish
2. We have 10 teams signed up, and enough free agents to cover two more teams. Please form two more teams ASAP.
3. James Lasker has kindly agreed to TD this tournament, because I can't make it due to my work schedule.
4. We're going to need rooms for this tournament (precisely six). I've included another column in the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0) for volunteering rooms - if you're playing this tournament, please consider volunteering your room as a game room for this tournament.

Thanks everyone, and I'm looking forward to it.
As the aforementioned ring leader to this three ring circus I'd like to say a couple things:

1) If your team has buzzers for ICT and you are playing this tournament, please bring the buzzers to this tournament. Nobody wants a game here decided by slap bowl moderator judgment.

2) Speaking of things nobody wants, we don't want to play in hallways/lobbies (and probably wouldn't be allowed to anyway), so we need more rooms. I thought I was going to have a room until today so we need one more room than we assumed we were going to need. We would greatly appreciate volunteering of rooms even if you are not playing lederberg.

3) Reiterating the start time of 6:30 PM on Friday. 10 rounds of tossup only games (8 rounds for non-finals teams) should still leave plenty of time for beauty sleep (or in my case a 1 hour drive followed by beauty sleep) before ICT.

4) I'm planning on recording this tournament and posting it to $Website after the tournament. I will ask permission before every round, but if for some reason you really can't be recorded here let me know via DM.

5) Thanks to the 5 registered mods who are not me. I sent you all a facebook message with some more information. If you signed up on the sheet and didn't get a message, let me know.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Oh and if your team doesn't have a name, I'm going to give you the stupidest name I can think of. So do that before I make schedules late thursday night/Friday morning.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I have not attempted to find a team because I was unsure of whether we'd be in Chicago on time; if it turns out we will be (which looks reasonably likely); is the TD amenable to allowing five-member teams?
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

CPiGuy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:58 am I have not attempted to find a team because I was unsure of whether we'd be in Chicago on time; if it turns out we will be (which looks reasonably likely); is the TD amenable to allowing five-member teams?
We really want to get to 12 teams since that makes a really easy schedule with no byes that also leaves 2 packets for finals if necessary.

Once we get to 12 teams of 4, go for it.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Fucitol wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:36 pm
CPiGuy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:58 am I have not attempted to find a team because I was unsure of whether we'd be in Chicago on time; if it turns out we will be (which looks reasonably likely); is the TD amenable to allowing five-member teams?
We really want to get to 12 teams since that makes a really easy schedule with no byes that also leaves 2 packets for finals if necessary.

Once we get to 12 teams of 4, go for it.
Ah, I somehow saw the words "10 rounds" and read "10 teams".
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

NAQT staff check-in (and some set-up tasks) for the ICT *starts* at 7:30, so a 6:30 start time for this tournament is completely infeasible (unless you can get Joel to exempt Lederberg participants)
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

touchpack wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:02 pm NAQT staff check-in (and some set-up tasks) for the ICT *starts* at 7:30, so a 6:30 start time for this tournament is completely infeasible (unless you can get Joel to exempt Lederberg participants)
I've sent an email asking how Joel would like us to handle Friday evening staff check-in and set-up.
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Okay, after talking with Joel, here's the deal:

1) we can start at 6:30, but we'll need to break around 7:30 so that staffers can check in and help with set-up.
2) teams providing buzzers to ICT need to check in their buzzers before starting in on the side event. Team buzzers can be checked in starting at 6.
3) there may be 6 game rooms available at 6:30; if not, we'd need to start in hotel rooms. If participants want to come help set up some buzzers from 6-6:30, that would make it more likely that we could use game rooms. And if we set up enough rooms, it's possible Joel will not need any Lederberg participants to help with set-up after 7:30. (But staffers who haven't checked in yet will still need to go check-in between 7:30 and 9:30. If we don't need to help with set-up after 7:30, perhaps staffers who are participating in Lederberg can go check-in between rounds, or perhaps we would just take a short check-in break at some point.)

I should be at the hotel well before 6 pm, so I'll plan on going to the team check-in area at 6 and helping with early set-up. I would suggest that we all plan on meeting at 6:30 at, say, the central elevators (on the main entrance level). James can then announce what rooms we're using, whether there will be a longer break at 7:30 (for check-in plus more set-up help) or a shorter break (check-in only), etc.
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

setht wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:07 am Okay, after talking with Joel, here's the deal:

1) we can start at 6:30, but we'll need to break around 7:30 so that staffers can check in and help with set-up.
2) teams providing buzzers to ICT need to check in their buzzers before starting in on the side event. Team buzzers can be checked in starting at 6.
3) there may be 6 game rooms available at 6:30; if not, we'd need to start in hotel rooms. If participants want to come help set up some buzzers from 6-6:30, that would make it more likely that we could use game rooms. And if we set up enough rooms, it's possible Joel will not need any Lederberg participants to help with set-up after 7:30. (But staffers who haven't checked in yet will still need to go check-in between 7:30 and 9:30. If we don't need to help with set-up after 7:30, perhaps staffers who are participating in Lederberg can go check-in between rounds, or perhaps we would just take a short check-in break at some point.)

I should be at the hotel well before 6 pm, so I'll plan on going to the team check-in area at 6 and helping with early set-up. I would suggest that we all plan on meeting at 6:30 at, say, the central elevators (on the main entrance level). James can then announce what rooms we're using, whether there will be a longer break at 7:30 (for check-in plus more set-up help) or a shorter break (check-in only), etc.

Thanks Seth.

If we can actually use game rooms that will be great. I will have some UChicago people and buzzers at the hotel with me early so setting them up in time will likely not be an issue.

I would prefer that we finish the prelim bracket before breaking for check in. If we can keep a 15 minute/round pace that would mean delaying staff checkin time until 7:45. Would that be an issue? Obviously if we are slower/ If catastrophic delays happen we can just break at 7:30 and come back to finish prelims.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Fucitol wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:53 am I would prefer that we finish the prelim bracket before breaking for check in. If we can keep a 15 minute/round pace that would mean delaying staff checkin time until 7:45. Would that be an issue? Obviously if we are slower/ If catastrophic delays happen we can just break at 7:30 and come back to finish prelims.
We'll have to see how things go tomorrow. If we do enough early set-up that we're not needed for further set-up work after 7:30, I can't imagine it would be a problem to have staffers (who didn't check in before 6:30) go and check in at 7:45 instead of 7:30.
Seth Teitler
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

I just Facebook messaged all of the people who volunteered a room in the spreadsheet.

In the event that the game rooms that Seth spoke of don't materialize, we will need one more room to run this tournament. Please let me know if you have a room that would be available tonight from 6-9:30PM

Also we will need 2 more buzzer sets unless we can borrow some from ICT/use the ones in game rooms.

Packets are made and being proofread. Schedule and brackets are being made. Everything else is on track for this tournament to run smoothly. See you all at 6:30!
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Schedule is attached. Dylan et al, you were warned.

Seth is optimistic about using game rooms. The chance of us using game rooms goes up if you come to the staff check-in table at 6 and help set up rooms so please do that.

See you all soon.

EDIT: Meet in the lobby at 6:30 so we can start the tournament on time. I am not sure exactly where in the lobby as it appears it is fairly full, but we'll find an open spot.
Attachments
Lederberg-3-Schedule.pdf
(379.28 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Cody

Post by Cody »

Room 1 - DaVinci A
Room 2 - DeGaulle
Room 3 - Malpensa
Room 4 - Tegel
Room 5 - Capital
Room 6 - Mirabel
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Well, with regards to logistics, of all the tournaments that ever happened, this was one of them. Sorry for the issues that caused what should have been maybe a 4 hour tournament into a nearly 6 hour hellscape.

Thanks to everyone who came to play the tournament. I hope you all were able to enjoy it. Thanks to everyone who came to staff as well.

Special thanks to Alex Harmata who provided the flash drive that saved the tournament. If anyone knows the whereabouts of this magical device, let me or him know.

Congrats to Billy Busse, Mike Sorice, Rob Carson, and Naomi Sweeting on winning a one game final over Kai Smith, Andrew Wang, Seth Teitler, and Samir Khan.

Since the international level of the Hyatt regency O’Hare has been relegated to the primitive 20th century when wireless internet did not exist, we needed to use physical scoresheets instead ofOphir’s scoresheets. I will have the scoresheets entered into ophirs template at some date before the heat death of the universe.

EDIT: and of course thanks to NAQT for letting us use their game rooms and buzzers.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

I'd like to echo James and thank the players, staff, my fellow writers, and NAQT for making this tournament possible. I hope that people enjoyed it.

Two orders of business:

1. I have much more to say about the philosophy of this tournament when I'm not tired, and I eagerly await everyone's feedback, on any issue; I've requested a private discussion forum, which I'm sure will be up sometime in the next few days. Pursuant to that, if you have played this tournament and would like a copy of the set, please contact me any way you know how.

2. I'm more than willing to mirror this tournament (for the same fee, 15$/player) at HSNCT, PACE, and/or online (after NSC), depending on the amount of interest. I've had some requests to mirror it at HSNCT in particular. I've added tabs to the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =781759048) to sign up for a reading at HSNCT and NSC (which will either be a shootout or full team affair depending on the level of interest - most likely the former), and will post a poll in the next few days re: a date for an online mirror.

Editing this tournament was truly a joy, and thank all of you again for making this possible.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

A couple more reminders:

I'm working on stats tonight. Should be up tonight or maybe tomorrow if I find motivation to do actual work.

Thanks to everyone who venmo-ed me already. Please Venmo me $15 dollars if you haven't yet. I got physical payment from Sorice and Seth, and will track the remainder on the team spreadsheet. If you don't have venmo, DM me and we can work something out. Venmo is @James-Lasker. The dash is, for some reason, important and you won't find me unless you use it.

Northwestern's buzzer went missing in the confusion at the start of the tournament. If you have a dufflebag that says northwestern on it and has buzzers inside, let me know and I can arrange for getting those buzzers back to evanston.

Also the flash drive is still missing. anyone involved with the tournament, especially moderators, are encouraged to check their belongings and clothing to make sure the flash drive didn't end up tucked away somewhere secretly. If you do find it, let me know and I will arrange shipping for it.

Thanks again for coming to play this tournament and I hope you all had as much fun playing it as we did writing it.

EDIT: Accidentally my venmo account name.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I've set up a private discussion forum for this tournament, which you should be able to request access to via your user control panel. Eric is the group leader in charge of approving requests. Let me know if there seem to be any issues with this.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Are stats going to be posted for this, or are they a casualty of the paper scoresheets / bad hotel internet?
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

touchpack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm Are stats going to be posted for this, or are they a casualty of the paper scoresheets / bad hotel internet?
The google spreadsheets for stats are completed for everything up to finals. Someone in the editors groupchat has entered all of the games but one that I missed into SQBS, not sure what the holdup is there. We can probably just post the stat sheets in private discussion.
Last edited by Judson Laipply on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20