ILLIAC Online 5/4 (Small Field / Trad. Open Audience)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

ILLIAC Online 5/4 (Small Field / Trad. Open Audience)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Hi folks,

The members of the Illinois team have graciously allowed me to plan an open Discord mirror of ILLIAC for Saturday, May 4th. Anybody can play this mirror, but it is intended mainly for a more traditional "Discord Open" audience of experienced players. I have no influence as to what other mirrors will happen, but the Illinois team members have indicated to me that they plan to have additional mirrors. The entry fee will be $60 per team to compensate mods and pay for mirror fees.

Indicate on this spreadsheet if you are interested in playing or moderating. Mods will be paid $40 for their services!

For now I'm going to cap the field at four teams, since many people indicated that they couldn't make this date, and this would enable an easy triple round robin. I'm willing to expand to six or eight teams depending on interest.

More details about the question set may be found here.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Re: ILLIAC Online 5/4 (Small Field / Trad. Open Audience)

Post by Red Panda Cub »

What time is this likely to start/end? Am interested in playing, but being 5-8 hours ahead means my window of availability is shifted.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

May I ask why this is happening on May 4th, when May 18/19 (which would not conflict with an NCT) had more votes in the date poll than every other option combined?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This date works better for me so I'll be playing it. Will the other one be restricted to non-open teams?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Aaron's Rod wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:05 pm May I ask why this is happening on May 4th, when May 18/19 (which would not conflict with an NCT) had more votes in the date poll than every other option combined?
Because I asked for permission to run a separate tournament of my own accord and can't make any other dates (the only other one under consideration that I could make was April 27, and the poll hadn't been closed yet, so I assumed that it wasn't happening). This is not to the exclusion of running this set on other open dates!

To clarify, I am doing this independently, with the permission of the organizers of the set. I am not in charge of the other online mirrors, and have no say as to whether they are open or not.
Red Panda Cub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:59 pm What time is this likely to start/end? Am interested in playing, but being 5-8 hours ahead means my window of availability is shifted.
If there's a full UK team interested in playing, I have no problem starting this tournament at 10AM EST if necessary to accommodate both a Pacific and UK audience. Otherwise, we'll probably start at 11AM EST.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Any idea about ending time? How many rounds?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If I end up being the only West Coast person playing this tournament, I'm fine starting as early as 8:30 AM Eastern. Also, I'm willing to kick in more money in entrance fees if it entices moderators for this.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

It looks like we've got at least two West Coast participants, assuming Michael is still at Berkeley, so I'm fine with the 11AM Eastern start time. I'd request that people show up in the Discord server, which I will email to participants, fifteen minutes before start time so we can test things and make sure it's all working as intended.

(EDIT: Michael tells me he's back in Moscow, so I'll push the start time to 10AM EST - hopefully this will be more accommodating to our British audience)

I'm guessing rounds will go fairly swiftly, since the set isn't too hard, but would still encourage bonus interruption, etc. to keep things moving at a good pace. Given nine rounds, a thirty minute lunch break, and 30-40 minutes per round, I'll tentatively estimate that this tournament will about six to seven hours. Interested UK participants can probably anticipate a tournament ending before midnight.

I'll reach out to Discord to see if we can't recruit some mods for the current price.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Each team representative who put their name down should have received an email from me with the Discord link. If your team has not distributed the link, please message me and I will provide one for you.

We will start at 10AM EST. Please arrive fifteen minutes early so that we can make sure teams and Discord privileges are assigned properly. Thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Thanks to all for logging in to play today, and to Eric and Aidan for volunteering their time to mod! We were able to get through 9 rounds in under 7 hours despite some Discord technical issues, which I'll consider a victory.

As for tournament results, the Andrew Wang Fan Club defeated Lehmann et al in game one of an advantaged final.

EDIT: staaaats
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16