CANONEXPANSION @ HSNCT

Old college threads.
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

CANONEXPANSION @ HSNCT

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

This is an announcement for CANONEXPANSION at the 2019 HSNCT. The fee for playing will be $15/team ($10/team if you bring a buzzer set) so I can pay staffers. It will happen on Sunday evening. I am setting the field cap to 8 teams of 4 players each for now, but this might increase.

If you are interested in playing, you can find the signup sheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Re: CANONEXPANSION @ HSNCT

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Looking for teammates for this, particularly if you know bio and (organic) chem. But if we overlap that's fine, I'm mainly looking to have a fun time!
Eleanor
they/she
Favorower
Kimahri

Post by Favorower »

Is this open to both HS and college?
Sam K
BASIS McLean '22
Wakka

Yes, as well as people who aren't enrolled at all.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

i do math, if you do things other than math i want to play this tournament with you!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

Some preliminary notes on logistics, due to the unusual time slot we’re occupying-

We’re planning on meeting Sunday night at either 9 pm or a few minutes after finals ends, whichever is later. We’ll quickly go over the schedule and the rooms, make sure everyone is present, and get to starting asap - barring anything weird happening every game room should start by 9:10pm (or very soon after finals ends). We’re playing rounds of 20/0, but with fairly long and difficult packets, so we’re aiming for 30 minute rounds at worst. We’ll try to confirm the location of the rooms to be used (and hence the meeting place) asap - it’s possible we’ll have to ask volunteers for hotel rooms.

Our maximum feasible field size at this time is 8 teams, due to the constraints of having 6 packets (so sign up fast!). We’re planning on doing a format of 2x4 prelims then rebracketing into 2x4 playoffs. If more players than we have space for want to play, we’ll consider expanding to 5 players per team. We’ll update this if more packets get finished, but that isn’t highly likely at the moment.

With these constraints in mind, we’re aiming to finish up prelims by 10:30 pm, rebracket quickly, and then play the next 2 games. Our finals would then be circa 11:30 pm, and everyone should be done with their rounds by midnight.

I know this is a long way out, but we'd like to make sure everyone is on the same page asap - we'll make sure to keep y'all updated as the tournament draws closer.
Wakka

Since we aren't allowed to use game rooms after the finals, for this side event to occur, we require at least 3 rooms to play in, so I've added a section to the spreadsheet for playing rooms. If you'd like to volunteer your room and be eligible for another $5 discount, add your name to the spreadsheet. Make sure your roommates are ok with people playing quizbowl in your room though.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

(I realize now I posted my previous post in the incorrect thread.)

HSNCT room assignments are out now, so if you have a room you are willing to volunteer, please add it to the spreadsheet. Without 4 rooms, this event won't be able to run. Also, if you have any buzzer sets you are willing to lend me, also please add it to the spreadsheet.

I will send out a logistics email at around 9 PM CST tomorrow night if we get sufficient rooms by then, if not, I'll decide what to do then.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

I've sent a logistics email to all of the emails listed for the signed up teams on the spreadsheet from Geoff22224 at gmail.com.
Hi,

We are going to meet at 9pm or the end of the HSNCT finals (whichever is later) near the Marquis Foyer area on the Marquis level. We’ll quickly go over the schedule and the rooms that the games will be held in, make sure everyone is present, and get to starting asap. We’re playing rounds of 20/0, but with fairly long and difficult packets, so we’re aiming for 30 minute rounds at worst.

Additionally, if you have an extra buzzer set or know anyone who has an extra buzzer set, it would be very nice if you could volunteer it to me to use, because right now, we only have 1 available buzzer set.

See you at HSNCT,
Geoffrey Chen
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

I forgot to mention this in the logistics email, but you can find the schedule/rooms etc. in the signup spreadsheet.

Remember that we are meeting at 9pm or the end of the HSNCT finals (whichever is later) near the Marquis Foyer area on the Marquis level.

For payment, you can either pay me in cash at the tournament or Venmo at @Geoffrey-Chen1
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

This is not going to start at 9PM since there is no way finals will be over at that time. You should probably expect to meet at the Marque Foyer area at around 9:45 PM.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

We are near the FedEx office close to the auditorium where the finals were held right now.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
Wakka

This happened. I have the stats and will compile them and resolve all the protests to figure out what the fuck happened. They will be posted eventually..

If you haven't paid yet, pay me $15/team (or $10/team if you lent me a room) on Venmo @Geoffrey-Chen1 (or some other method we can work out by pm) so I can pay the hard-working staffers who had to deal with this. I have bolded the team names of people who I believe have paid me, although this might be wrong since I have completely lost track.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
Cornell ???
shmno
Lulu

Post by shmno »

This was a lot of fun, despite some logistical hiccups.

I think the fact that the set was written with intentional difficulty variability (the 30/50/20 split) threw some people off when clues appeared "too early," but I enjoyed it. The set had a lot of interesting answerline selections and felt like it asked about important things.
Noah Chen
Columbia University
University of Michigan '18
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

This set had some of the most delightful science questions in recent memory. It has some issues, but it's a good set and I'd strongly recommend playing other mirrors.
Special thank you to the readers who stayed up late reading for us!
Eleanor
they/she
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Echoing Noah and Jonathen here: this set did have some issues (weird difficulty swings and difficulty cliffs, some of the creative ideas just didn't work out that well, etc.) However, it also had a bunch of really excellent questions, and the whimsy factor was really, really enjoyable. Thanks to the writers and staffers for making it happen!
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Noah, Jonathen, and Billy are all correct, this set was mostly a ton of fun to play (notwithstanding the logistical issues), with a lot of cool and interesting topics coming up, and only a few questions that made me really mad! Thanks to all the writers and especially the staffers who made this event possible!
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
katherine
Lulu

Post by katherine »

I agree with what was said about the difficulty variation, but overall this set was very fun to play. Thank you for writing and hosting, Gef!
Katherine Lei
Montgomery Blair HS '20
MIT '24
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

hey guys stats are up: here they are
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion