[CANCELLED] Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Old college threads.
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

[CANCELLED] Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Post by Tippy Martinez »

I am pleased to announce Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life, a continuation of Laurence Li’s hip-hop tournament from two years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18915&p=344050&hil ... er#p344050

The set will hopefully consist of 7 packets, which will contain 20 super-power marked tossups between 8 and 11 lines each. The distribution for each packet will be as follows:
5 2010s
5 2000s
5 1990s
2 pre-1990s
3 Hip-hop grab bag/culture/current events/inter time period common links

The set will be done before Nats season and I will run mirrors at as many nationals as there is interest for. If anyone else would like to mirror the set, please contact me and we can set something up.

Andy Huff, Shane Mosley, Ryan Rosenberg, Vishwa Shanmugam, Sohum Shenoy, and Rohan Vora will be contributing to the set as well.
Last edited by Tippy Martinez on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
connor mayers
maryland
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Incredibly hyped. Also glad to see a reduction in pre-1990s rap.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
gerbilownage
Lulu

Post by gerbilownage »

I'm honored. Looking forward to this!
Laurence Li
Westview HS '13
Yale '17
Harvard '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Are there any updates on this such as confirmation it will be ready and what time at HSNCT you're hoping to read it (would personally prefer it not conflict with META but that's just me)?
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

100% Clean Comedian Dan Nainan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:11 pm Are there any updates on this such as confirmation it will be ready and what time at HSNCT you're hoping to read it (would personally prefer it not conflict with META but that's just me)?
The set is... making progress let's just say that. I should be able to finish if I get my ass into gear after exam season. As for a time slot I'm looking at Friday night, probably a hour or so after the conclusion of ACRONYM (from what I see this doesn't conflict with anything, let me know if I'm wrong). Once I have more specific details I'll set up a spreadsheet for matchmaking.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

An update on this set: it will have 6 packets. It will run at HSNCT on Friday night shortly after the conclusion of ACRONYM.

Here is a matchmaking spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

With 6 packets, I'm capping the field of eight so we can play 2x4 for prelims and then re-bracket and carryover for playoffs, and then play a final crossover.

I'll also need some staff, so please consider signing up!

Finally, I could still use some help on the writing/editing side, so if you'd be willing to contribute please contact me.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Hi y'all. A little bit of an update here.

Due to a variety of circumstances (junior yell workload, stress, declining mental health, etc.) I'll be postponing the finish of this set indefinitely. I definitely bit off more than I could chew here and have realized it's not worth trying to finish in the final days before HSNCT. The set should be done well before next year at HSNCT, where I hope I can mirror it again and have it be a much more enjoyable experience. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to playing, I hope y'all enjoy your Friday night at HSNCT.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

connor.mayers wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 am Hi y'all. A little bit of an update here.

Due to a variety of circumstances (junior year workload, stress, declining mental health, etc.) I'll be postponing the finish of this set indefinitely. I definitely bit off more than I could chew here and have realized it's not worth trying to finish in the final days before HSNCT. The set should be done well before next year at HSNCT, where I hope I can mirror it again and have it be a much more enjoyable experience. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to playing, I hope y'all enjoy your Friday night at HSNCT.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Re: [CANCELLED] Fight the Power Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life

Post by Tippy Martinez »

After over a year of trying to write and finish this set with not much progress, I'm going to have to cancel it. It just is not worth all that time and energy right now for a set which I probably wouldn't even enjoy writing the rest of in the first place. Sorry to anyone who was really looking forward to this.

What I do have is about 40 tossups worth of the 2010s subdistro of this tournament, which I'll read to anyone who wants to hear them. I'll be reading them in the main discord packet channel at 10 PM EST next Sunday, January 19. Hope to see y'all there. There's a chance I can do a reading or two after that one too.
connor mayers
maryland