MacVanity VI at McMaster - July 6th, 2019

Old college threads.
kanenguyen9
Lulu

MacVanity VI at McMaster - July 6th, 2019

Post by kanenguyen9 »

Hi there, Kane here. McMaster Academic Trivia Club, now free from Jay Misuk’s iron grip, is pleased to announce the 6th installment of MacVanity!!! This tournament is a pack-submission hybrid-esque quiz bowl spectacle, where proceeds from the tournament goes be given as a donation to the McMaster Children’s Hospital!

Location and Start Time
McMaster University Student Centre will be the specific location of the tournament, with the control room to be determined (likely room 203). We will be starting the first round at 9:30am, so please arrive around 9:00am to ensure that all staffers, players and buzzers are accounted for. Lunch will occur in between the fifth and sixth rounds of play.

Registration and Fees
Registration for this tournament will be open until the noon of American Independence Day, where teams wishing to register can contact me via [email protected] or via Facebook to confirm their spot. Fees associated with the tournament will be the following:
-- Base fee: $35 per player (absolute minimum fee is $20 per player)
-- Packet discount: -$10 per player on a team that submits an acceptable pack before noon, American Independence Day, 2019
-- Buzzer discount: -$5 per player on a team that brought buzzers
-- ‘Peter Cordeiro Memorial’ Discount: -$5 per player that is a part of a ‘Peter Cordeiro’-lead team

Fees are to be settled during the day of the tournament, where teams can pay via cash/etransfer. Please do not etransfer the fee to my email.

Packwriting and Distribution
Because we encourage all of you to write about content that you are passionate about, MacVanity’s pack distribution requirement will loosely follow this 21/21 structure:
- - 1 / 1 Literature, Religion, Mythology, Philosophy (LRMP)
- - 1 / 1 History, Arts, Geography (HAG)
- - 1 / 1 Science, Social Science, Computer Science, Engineering (SSSCSE)
- - 1 / 1 Can Con
- - 1 / 1 Trash
- - 1 / 1 Meta
- - 15 / 15 Free Choice
Our goal is to have enough pack submissions to produce 12+ packets overall. Also, the predetermined subject allotments don’t have to be strictly academic questions; but if you want to go CO-esque on us, go for it. packets sent to me at [email protected] before noon on American Independence Day if you want your pack to be included to the MacVanity rotation.

When submitting the pack, please have it sent as a google docs in size 11 helvetica neue. (no Microsoft word or PDF) :)

Miscellaneous
The tournament is open. Anyone can join this tournament and also bring their friends along!

The tentative field cap is 12 teams, with at least 2 teams reserved for free agents. This field cap number can be subject to increase depending on room availability and event interest.

I will try my best to send out the day schedule and staffer assignments during the night of American Independence Day to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Pack Submissions
- - Kane's Pack: 6/6 High School and College (Submitted June 5th)
- - Marcell's Pack (Submitted July 3rd)
- - Simone's Pack (Submitted July 3rd)

:party: Hope to see all of y’all on July 6th!!! :party:
Kane Nguyen
Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute (2013 - 2017)
McMaster University (2017 - 2022)
McMaster University (2022 - 2024)
kanenguyen9
Lulu

Re: MacVanity VI at McMaster - July 6th, 2019

Post by kanenguyen9 »

The following link will lead to the sign-up/team sheet for MacVanity and MIXTAPE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Kane Nguyen
kanenguyen9
Lulu

Post by kanenguyen9 »

Schedule for MacVanity VI, MIXTAPE will occur an hour after the ending of MacVanity so players can have a small break.
Attachments
MacVanity Schedule.pdf
(39.14 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Kane Nguyen
kanenguyen9
Lulu

Post by kanenguyen9 »

LOL. Quick revision to the schedule to accommodate the last unfinished pack.
Attachments
MacVanity Schedule Revised.pdf
(39.13 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Kane Nguyen
kanenguyen9
Lulu

Post by kanenguyen9 »

I would like to thank all the players and staffers for bogging through the humid day and a morning delay to play some charity trivia!

For MacVanity, we raised $280 which will be donated to the McMaster Children's Hospital! And for Mixtape, $120 was raised and will end up going to the Greater Lansing Food Bank!

Stats for MacVanity will be posted later, but I was really pleased with the variety of content and the multiple mentions of the Niagara escarpment.

After playing 13 packets of Mixtape, the following provides the points-total of all of the events' participants:
1) Erik - 885 points
2) Aaron - 755 points
3) Talia - 250 points
4) Simone - 220 points
5) Jay - 115 points
6) Marcell - 95 points
7) Luka - 85 points
8) Nick - 35 points
Kane Nguyen
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

kanenguyen9 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:58 pm And for Mixtape, $120 was raised and will end up going to the Greater Lansing Food Bank!
The final total for this was actually $90 since Erik and I wrote packets for this.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)