Age of Empires @ Chicago Open (8/4)

Old college threads.
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Age of Empires @ Chicago Open (8/4)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is the official announcement for the mirror of Age of Empires at Chicago Open. This tournament will be run the Sunday after the main Chicago Open tournament, in some order with Scattergories.

More details about this tournament can be found at this link. For those who may be hesitant about playing an "ancient world tournament" I will offer this - though the difficulty and feel is "similar to 2015 CO Visual Arts / Jordaens," there's a lot of very accessible answers and a pretty wide range of subject material across a ton of world cultures, and a non-zero number of clues exploring more recent interactions with the ancient world. That said, staff are also highly appreciated!

The signup sheet may be found here. For now, there is no field cap. Please note that I will be assigning team names based on various cheat codes / taunts from Age of Empires II, unless you would like to request a specific team name. If you'd like to request a specific one, feel free to ask! Here are lists of cheats and taunts that you can pick from.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Age of Empires @ Chicago Open (8/4)

Post by Cheynem »

I'm happy to staff unless you have a surplus of staffers, and then will join a team that needs someone who knows nothing.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Cheynem wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 pm I'm happy to staff unless you have a surplus of staffers, and then will join a team that needs someone who knows nothing.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:59 pm If you'd like to request a specific one, feel free to ask! Here are lists of cheats and taunts that you can pick from.
can we be "to smithereens" please
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Kindly requesting that people go ahead and form teams, otherwise I'll be assigning all free agents to teams next Thursday.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

If there's a hole on a team when all the free agents are assigned, I'll join, but otherwise I'll just staff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

One more thing - given the planned festivities for the night after CO, I've been thinking of starting this event later than normal CO Sunday fare. Would people be amenable to starting at 10 AM sharp? I don't expect it to last more than 3 hours, since there are reasonable length caps and no bonuses. This means that, after a lunch break, Scattergories could start around 2.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:01 pm One more thing - given the planned festivities for the night after CO, I've been thinking of starting this event later than normal CO Sunday fare. Would people be amenable to starting at 10 AM sharp? I don't expect it to last more than 3 hours, since there are reasonable length caps and no bonuses. This means that, after a lunch break, Scattergories could start around 2.
While I would appreciate sleeping in after festivities, this would make it hard for myself and other with late afternoon flights to play Scattergories. I'm not sure how many people that is, though.
Eleanor
they/she
TaylorH
Wakka

Post by TaylorH »

settlej wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:33 pm
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:01 pm One more thing - given the planned festivities for the night after CO, I've been thinking of starting this event later than normal CO Sunday fare. Would people be amenable to starting at 10 AM sharp? I don't expect it to last more than 3 hours, since there are reasonable length caps and no bonuses. This means that, after a lunch break, Scattergories could start around 2.
While I would appreciate sleeping in after festivities, this would make it hard for myself and other with late afternoon flights to play Scattergories. I'm not sure how many people that is, though.
I agree with Jonathen and would prefer an earlier start time for AoE for flight timing considerations
Taylor Harvey (he/him)
ACF
University of Florida B.S. Nuclear Engineering '17
University of Florida Ph.D. Nuclear Engineering '21
2021 ACF Nationals Champion
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

After speaking with Alex Damisch, we've decided to shoot for a hard 9:30 AM start time. However, I'd like to request that teams show up by 9 to help assist with setup, pay before the event, and make sure all the ducks are in a row. I don't estimate that the event will take any more than three hours in total, meaning that with a one hour lunch break, which hould be feasible since we're coordinating a lunch order*. Assuming Scattergories takes about the same amount of time, this means we should finish around 4:20 4:30 PM.

In the interest of making sure we have enough packets to play the tournament out fully, I'm going to cap the field at twelve teams, and state that free agents will be assigned to teams in a manner that ensures we have twelve teams. This will allow for two 6-team prelim brackets, followed by a 3/3 playoff split and crossover games, then a final, which should exactly use the 9 packets we have available.

The final will only be played if two teams have an identical playoff record; otherwise, one will be declared the outright winner. However, since I'd like to use all the packets, I'll plan on having some sort of game on the finals packet in any case - maybe an all-star game, top scorer shootout, second place game, or something of the like.

Finally, I'd like to strongly encourage people to play this event if they're on the fence about it! A lot of people who aren't really into ancient stuff have told me that they still found the set highly engaging and interesting.

* Additional details to follow, but tentatively we're planning on placing a large lunch order, which staffers for either Age of Empires or Scattergories will have access to for free. The buy-in will be $10, with the "profits" going to pay the staffers' lunch.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, can confirm that this tournament was much more enjoyable than any previous classics tournament I've played before.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

In the interest of keeping things moving smoothly this weekend, please fill out this lunch order form if you're attending the tournament and want to have tacos. The goal is to keep lunch as short as reasonable so we can move on to Scattergories quickly and make sure people aren't missing flights. Please fill out the form by 12PM CDT tomorrow.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Are we shooting for a hour lunch break between Age of Empires and Scattergories? (i.e., you'll have a hour to go get your own food if you don't want to order the tacos)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Alex and I are planning for a 45 minute lunch break to keep things moving quickly. There should be nearby food options if you don't want to order.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I've added free agents to teams - the field is closed at 12 teams.

EDIT: Please add your emails to the signup sheet so I can send out logistics info. Thanks!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

In lieu of an email, I'm going to post here to say we have rooms and buzzers secured. I will post a schedule in the sign-up sheet either tonight or tomorrow morning. Format will be two RR brackets of six followed by three crossover playoff games.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Meet in 2343

EDIT: 2415 for player meeting
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Full stats can be found here.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Congratulations to Charles Hang, Rohan Rai, Tamara Vardomskaya, and Jay Misuk for winning in a thrilling final, 120-90
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16