NYC Summer Open date poll

Old college threads.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

NYC Summer Open date poll

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Hi all,

I'm in initial stages to plan a Summer Open in NYC, similar to the one I ran in Boston last year. It will have a main event (tentatively Oxford Open, although this is extremely up in the air) and several side events (also extremely up in the air). As with last year, it will likely take place on both Saturday and Sunday.

I am lining up potential locations right now, but it would be very helpful for the site organizers if you could fill out this date poll if you'd like to attend. There are three suggested weekends, but if you'd like another weekend, please fill in the "Other" option, or agitate for your choice in this thread (essentially a x5 vote).

Poll here: https://forms.gle/r6E8hcnxVjqeszqBA

There will be a later post once location + weekend have been chosen, that will include a poll for what events/question sets to run.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
jonpin
Auron

Re: NYC Summer Open date poll

Post by jonpin »

FWIW, August 3 was just announced as the weekend of Chicago Open, so that's probably not a great option.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
nycaqb1999
Lulu

Post by nycaqb1999 »

Any idea when/where this might happen?
Maximilian Shatan
Founder and Captain,
Bard High School Early College Manhattan '18
Captain,
Wesleyan University '22

"beep...beep...beep" - Sputnik I
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

nycaqb1999 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 pm Any idea when/where this might happen?
Yeah, sorry, been busy--I need to email the NYU people and confirm the likely date, but probably the last weekend of July.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Last weekend of July sounds good to me at this juncture.

In terms of side events, I'd personally be very interested in, and like to agitate for:

Scattergories
RULFO
Golbez
Imaginary Landscapes

Assuming these are ready + available for mirrors/haven't been over-mirrored by the time late-July rolls around.
Michael Z
NYU '13
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

csheep wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am Last weekend of July sounds good to me at this juncture.

In terms of side events, I'd personally be very interested in, and like to agitate for:

Scattergories
RULFO
Golbez
Imaginary Landscapes

Assuming these are ready + available for mirrors/haven't been over-mirrored by the time late-July rolls around.
There'll be a follow-up poll for people to vote on main-event + side-events, as soon as NYU can confirm (likely) rooms + I get free time (so the soonest for me would be Sunday, but likely later as NYU emails their administration).
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

If it's in NYC, I'll play whatever whenever.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
web250
Kimahri

Post by web250 »

grapesmoker wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm If it's in NYC, I'll play whatever whenever.
Same.

Any update on this?
Jason
ex-Delaware 2009, lapsed quizbowler
NYC based
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Sorry, no movement--I'll talk to the relevant people again and see if they were able to get more logistics details!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Marcion of Sinope
Lulu

Post by Marcion of Sinope »

Just letting everyone know we're currently working on getting rooms for this. We should hopefully have some secured within the next couple of weeks at the latest.
Mitch Baron
Yale University '22
New York University '20
Illinois Valley Central High School '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Would prefer to play either Oxford Open or NASAT at this event. I'm indifferent between the two.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
orgoman
Lulu

Post by orgoman »

Any chance we could get Bumpy II as a side event? Movies are my jam, yo.
Ronald "Chip" Horton
Peripatetic Reader and Quizbowl Enthusiast
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Alex and I should be able to attend most weekends
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Sorry, thought I posted this--we can't confirm a date because of trouble getting rooms, but we're (read: NYU) currently solely focused on getting rooms the last weekend of July (27/28).
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 10:28 pm Sorry, thought I posted this--we can't confirm a date because of trouble getting rooms, but we're (read: NYU) currently solely focused on getting rooms the last weekend of July (27/28).
On this note, if you think you'd be an NYC-based institution that could be a good backup for hosting, please let me know. It's OK if there'd be hosting fees involved, as we'd probably need to have the same for NYU anyways.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

The side-event poll is up: https://forms.gle/7nQf2f2yVL94GWhy8

Please vote within the next week or so, at which point I'll close the form.

There are many, many, MANY options, so please think carefully about which events you will ACTUALLY PLAY.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Leaving this up for a few more days to give people time to figure out if they're going to play some of these events at NSC instead (note: you can edit your votes after the fact!), and also because we're still having trouble finding a location anyways.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

I know a date can't really be nailed down until rooms, events, etc are decided, but at this point is there an estimate of when a firm date—if one is going to materialize at all—might be available? I'm looking at going out to the UIUC weekend, and it'd be nice to know if I should hold off because this event only needs another week or so to get off the ground or if we're gonna keep clunking and polling along here for another three months.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Kouign Amann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 pm I know a date can't really be nailed down until rooms, events, etc are decided, but at this point is there an estimate of when a firm date—if one is going to materialize at all—might be available? I'm looking at going out to the UIUC weekend, and it'd be nice to know if I should hold off because this event only needs another week or so to get off the ground or if we're gonna keep clunking and polling along here for another three months.
I really hope the people at the relevant institutions don't take this as me putting this on blast (mainly because it's really the fault of the associated bureaucracies), but yeah, there's no estimates possible from me until the people I'm talking to about getting rooms can give me firm answers. That could be this week, or not until July.

Unfortunately, and for the same reason, I've recently become a little more pessimistic about the chance of finding any room at all, based on the current info I have. If I were Moody's, I'd have to give the prospect of this happening a "B-" (is that a thing? did I do that right?).

Again, if you're part of an NYC-based institution (and I know there are a lot of you!), and you think you could potentially help provide rooms for this event, pleeeeease let me know.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 pm Again, if you're part of an NYC-based institution (and I know there are a lot of you!), and you think you could potentially help provide rooms for this event, pleeeeease let me know.
What about an NYC-adjacent institution? I know NYC proper would be preferable but surely a tournament in New Jersey or Connecticut is preferable to no tournament at all.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Marcion of Sinope
Lulu

Post by Marcion of Sinope »

Unfortunately, after plans A, B, C, and D all fell through (due to a combination of bureaucracy and bad luck), NYU will be unable to host a summer open this year. With Raynor and Conor, I would encourage other NYC or NYC-adjacent institutions to see if they would potentially be able to host something in our stead, as there's obviously a great deal of interest.

(Keep in mind—all that's really needed are rooms to play games in! Organization, tournament direction, etc. will primarily be taken care of by Raynor and others, so inexperience with TDing or other concerns shouldn't hold you back.)
Mitch Baron
Yale University '22
New York University '20
Illinois Valley Central High School '16
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

CPiGuy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 pm
UlyssesInvictus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 pm Again, if you're part of an NYC-based institution (and I know there are a lot of you!), and you think you could potentially help provide rooms for this event, pleeeeease let me know.
What about an NYC-adjacent institution? I know NYC proper would be preferable but surely a tournament in New Jersey or Connecticut is preferable to no tournament at all.
Agreed! Unfortunately, Rutgers cannot be that site, since we're not allowed to reserve rooms over the summer.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Well, this is unfortunate. I'll try to ping various people that might be able to help out but no promises.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

For what it's worth, the "commandeer random Columbia rooms" strategy worked fine in summer 2017. If nothing else, we can try that (at our own risk)
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 pm For what it's worth, the "commandeer random Columbia rooms" strategy worked fine in summer 2017. If nothing else, we can try that (at our own risk)
Quiz Bowl isn't allowed to reserve rooms over the summer at Columbia's Hamilton Hall, but neither is any other club. If the official event management page doesn't list an event for a room, then it's officially first-come first-serve, and the building is pretty quiet over the summer. Cambridge Open in 2017 was able to use 4 rooms without a problem, but if I remember correctly, I think we could've used at least 10.

A caveat is that the building is officially closed on Sunday.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Urech hydantoin synthesis wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm A caveat is that the building is officially closed on Sunday.
Well that's definitely not good, unless people want to play no side events after all :(

I'll talk with Columbia people and Ben privately about this--I'm hoping I'll have good news for the people in this thread within a week.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Hi all--just wanted to update that I should be able to definitely announce by end of week whether we will have rooms. It will most likely be at Columbia, and there will most likely be some element of caveat emptor, where we might arbitrarily lose the rooms during the event for no good reason, though I'd put the chances at low.

I should also be able to announce the side event scheduling then.

However, I can now confirm that the main event will almost definitely be NASAT, and META, Unanswered Question, and GOLBEZ will probably be at least some of the side events. Hopefully that helps with anyone who wants to make travel plans.

(You can PM me if a couple days makes a drastic difference, and you'd like a more detailed picture of the planning slate.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:03 pm However, I can now confirm that the main event will almost definitely be NASAT, and META, Unanswered Question, and GOLBEZ will probably be at least some of the side events. Hopefully that helps with anyone who wants to make travel plans.
I'd like to strongly advocate against using NASAT for this tournament, as I would be barred from playing due to having worked on the set itself (and I know there's a few other writers/editors who worked on NASAT who feel the same- at least two of whom will be traveling pretty far to attend this tourney). I could be wrong, but I don't believe this would be an issue with CamO/Oxford Open. Anyways I've been looking forward to playing this for a while now, so I'd really appreciate a different set being used for this tourney.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
Simon de Montfort
Wakka

Post by Simon de Montfort »

How close was the public vote on the main event set? Because I have a feeling that people voted pro-NASAT and anti-NASAT, with anti-NASAT people splitting the vote between Cambridge Open and Oxford Open.
Jackson Painter
Columbia University '19
Colgate University '19
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

Couch's Kingbird wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:53 am I'd like to strongly advocate against using NASAT for this tournament, as I would be barred from playing due to having worked on the set itself (and I know there's a few other writers/editors who worked on NASAT who feel the same- at least two of whom will be traveling pretty far to attend this tourney). I could be wrong, but I don't believe this would be an issue with CamO/Oxford Open. Anyways I've been looking forward to playing this for a while now, so I'd really appreciate a different set being used for this tourney.
I'd like to second this. Using NASAT seems to create unnecessary problems while the British sets will both be Americanized to my knowledge and should be similar in difficulty. I also feel the single-choice option for the main event in the above poll allowed NASAT to win by splitting votes between the British sets, and I'd like to see how the votes would have shaken out if people were allowed to vote for multiple options.
Douglas R. Simons

National History Bee JV Champion '16
High Tech '18, Captain '17-'18
NYU '22, President '21-'22
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Simon de Montfort wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:14 am How close was the public vote on the main event set? Because I have a feeling that people voted pro-NASAT and anti-NASAT, with anti-NASAT people splitting the vote between Cambridge Open and Oxford Open.
I did consider this, but NASAT won even when the votes for those sets were combined (albeit, by a much smaller margin).

Don't take this as me saying it's definitely NASAT, though; my reasoning for sticking with NASAT anyways was partially that a "split vote" still indicates that the pro-NASAT firmly wants to play NASAT and subsequently won that vote. I suspect, however, that the anti-NASAT faction is really anti-NASAT, whereas the pro-NASAT crowd doesn't care *too* much outside of some people who have already played OxO or CamO.

Anyways, I'll leave the poll open for another week; and note that it's editable after submission! If the anti-NASAT people get together and get everyone to agree on one event, and maybe convince some of the pro-NASAT people in here to switch their votes, there's a chance.

And if you haven't already left a comment in the form (yes, even if you directly messaged me), please indicate in the form if your playing is literally predicated on which event it is!

(I do have to go with what the votes tell me for now, though :/)

(And, people who are *really* pro-NASAT, I'm sorry, please don't take this as bias, I just want the most people possible to have fun >.<)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

As a player, I'm personally agnostic between NASAT and Oxford Open, but would be strongly opposed to CamO - one, because I want to play it in LA, and two, because I don't want to play a truncated version of the set (as Raynor indicated would happen if we played that tournament).

I think using Oxford Open would be best and allow the most people to play. I'm sure there will be an online NASAT mirror for those interested in playing it, and there are always tons of mirrors of that tournament to attend anyways. In addition, I think it's a non-negligible gesture of recognition of the efforts of the British community to get better at writing tournaments - several Chicago team members have told me that OO was a strong set this year, and it'd be a shame if it got no big American mirrors.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm As a player, I'm personally agnostic between NASAT and Oxford Open
Just to re-tread this point--please change your vote if you feel swayed by this conversation, and have a similar opinion! Again, I'm literally just going off votes right now.

(In the future I'll have ranked choice voting, I guess :eyeroll:)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm As a player, I'm personally agnostic between NASAT and Oxford Open, but would be strongly opposed to CamO - one, because I want to play it in LA, and two, because I don't want to play a truncated version of the set (as Raynor indicated would happen if we played that tournament).

I think using Oxford Open would be best and allow the most people to play. I'm sure there will be an online NASAT mirror for those interested in playing it, and there are always tons of mirrors of that tournament to attend anyways. In addition, I think it's a non-negligible gesture of recognition of the efforts of the British community to get better at writing tournaments - several Chicago team members have told me that OO was a strong set this year, and it'd be a shame if it got no big American mirrors.
I’ve talked to several collegiate or high school players who cannot play a NASAT mirror, and we’ll all be voting for Oxford Open. I’d encourage others who want to make sure everyone who wants to play can play to do the same, rather than voting for CamO.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

I agree with Will's point regarding not wanting to play a truncated set. My original vote was for OxO and I guess I will keep it that way, though I'm personally agnostic between OxO and NASAT.

Please vote for Rulfo and Scattergories :<
Michael Z
NYU '13
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

csheep wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am I agree with Will's point regarding not wanting to play a truncated set.
Just in case it's an important point, hopefully "truncated" here refers to potentially playing 20/24 given questions from the CamO packets. Whether we play NASAT, OxO, or CamO, we will definitely not play all the packets we are given, for time reasons.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Couch's Kingbird
Rikku

Post by Couch's Kingbird »

csheep wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am My original vote was for OxO and I guess I will keep it that way, though I'm personally agnostic between OxO and NASAT.
If anyone else is in a similar situation (being agnostic between OxO (or even CamO) and NASAT), I'd highly encourage you to vote for OxO as Michael said above- you'd be helping those of us who can't play NASAT a ton.
Julia Tong
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Barnard 2018-2022 (VP Columbia Quiz Bowl)
Member of the Connecticut Quiz Bowl Alliance: ctquizbowl.org
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 am
csheep wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 am I agree with Will's point regarding not wanting to play a truncated set.
Just in case it's an important point, hopefully "truncated" here refers to potentially playing 20/24 given questions from the CamO packets. Whether we play NASAT, OxO, or CamO, we will definitely not play all the packets we are given, for time reasons.
That is how I interpreted it. Would rather play full packets and not ~80% of the questions per packet.
Michael Z
NYU '13
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Please give me some time to formally write up a new post with tournament details, but just so you'll pay attention to the important stuff in that, I can say that, yes, the people have spoken, and we'll run Oxford Open as the main event. (I hope anyone who has already played that set isn't too disappointed.) We will also almost definitely run the following slate of side events: CANONEXPANSION (Sat night), Age of Empires (Sat night), MUSES (Sun), META (Sun), Unanswered (Sun), GOLBEZ (Sun lunch). Exact order TBD.

[insert prequelmemes "i love democracy.jpeg"]
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

As an editor on this year's NASAT, I'm glad we decided on OxO. I just hope OxO is more properly Americanized unlike CamO from last year, which included rather odd questions like the death of Edward II and some obscure British geography questions. Of course, some oddball questions in a set is basically infinitely better than, uh, not being able to play the main event at all.
Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is the death of Edward II really that obscure?

Edit: Sorry, you said "odd," not obscure.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

AGoodMan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:02 pm As an editor on this year's NASAT, I'm glad we decided on OxO. I just hope OxO is more properly Americanized unlike CamO from last year, which included rather odd questions like the death of Edward II and some obscure British geography questions. Of course, some oddball questions in a set is basically infinitely better than, uh, not being able to play the main event at all.
Well, in fairness to the CamO people, they never explicitly Americanized it, we used a half-approach last year where I just manually cut some questions. (So that's not on them.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

People should all change their votes to scattergories pls :/
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

The Billiards Fool wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 pm People should all change their votes to scattergories pls :/
Very much this
connor mayers
maryland
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Yes please, more Scattergories votes.
Michael Z
NYU '13
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

I have posted the official tournament logistics thread here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22827

Please post in there moving forward.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM