GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi Friends,

Please find full details for the NYC Summer Open below. I will continue to update this thread, then move to email as the tournament approaches.

DISCLAIMER

You may notice the big "GUERILLA" in the title now. This is to emphasize that a lot of this tournament is ad hoc, more than I like; but it's either that or no tournament happening at all. In blunt terms, I would not be surprised if the event is randomly disrupted halfway through (see "Signup" and "Payment" sections). If traveling is required but difficult/prohibitive for you, I would personally not recommend attending this tournament. Otherwise, PLEASE read carefully below.

Staff

I need both moderators and "room commanders" (see below) for both Saturday and Sunday of this event. THIS EVENT WILL NOT HAPPEN IF WE CANNOT GET STAFF. Because of the guerrilla nature, we are in a situation where, even if you cannot moderate, I will feel much better if I have a rotating team of staff. Please indicate your ability to staff, either on the signup sheet, or by messaging me.

Staff will be compensated, with profits from this tournament being fully divided amongst staff.

Time/Location

The tournament will take place Saturday and Sunday July 27/28. People are free to do quizbowl Friday, but I will not be a part of it.

On Saturday, the tournament will take place in Hamilton Hall in Columbia University. We will officially be "squatting"; that is, we will not have an official reservation with the university, but will be trying to arrive early and maintain use of rooms by our presence.

On Sunday, we will also be squatting, but we only have reasonable confidence that we can use Mudd Hall. I will update this post as we get more clarity.

Because of this "squatting" situation, I would like to have some of our staff act as "room commanders." This effectively means you're responsible for being in that room throughout the day, meaning including during lunch and w/e people would not normally be there, and notifying me if you want to handoff the role to someone else.

Start time for the main event and first Sunday event are both TBD. I will email all participants as each event ends, so that they can arrive appropriately if they're only interested in certain events.

Events

We will be running Oxford Open as the main event. We will prioritize playing more side-events vs. more rounds of Oxford Open. That is, I would like to run at least 10 rounds of Oxford Open, but there is a good chance that finals will not happen if rounds are running late.

We will be running CANONEXPANSION and Age of Empires as the two Saturday evening side-events, in that order. We will be running Unanswered Question, META, and MUSES as Sunday side-events in that order. We will try to run GOLBEZ during lunch. We will not officially be running FOGEY, but I will try to obtain packets, and anyone not playing in the other side-events can try to organize their own playsession.

Signups

This tournament is open, meaning anyone of any age/education can play.

Because of the ad hoc nature of this event, I am aggressively limiting the field size to 6 teams to start with. It's likely we'll increase the field size, but I don't think it will go much bigger than 10 or 12.

Because of this small field size, it is imperative that staff sign up, and also that you only signup if you are reasonably confident you will attend. (See "Payment" below.)

You can signup here.

For side-events, in particular, I am first determining field size. We will then try to determine play format (i.e. shootout, doubles, trips, quads) based on field size. By default, events will be shootouts.

Payment

The main event fee structure will be as follows:
* $100 base per team.
* -$10 per buzzer brought.
* There is no staff discount. However, profits from this tournament will be divided amongst staff.
* The minimum fee per team is $60.
* If you are "signed up" (listed on the spreadsheet) after Monday, 9:00 PM EST, 7/22/2019, then you are liable for up to the entirety of your registration fee; with likely liability for at least 50% of your registration fee.

Side event fees will be equivalent to the mirror fee, plus $3-4 (based on the play format), per person.

Payment is up front, HOWEVER:
* You can--and I, in fact, encourage you to--pay the day of. I will only accept Venmo (@Raynor-Kuang) and cash (i.e. not checks). I would highly prefer Venmo. (New York is not as safe as Boston, and I have to travel 100 blocks home.)
* If we face the unfortunate situation of the tournament being cancelled/disrupted mid-tournament, then I will refund registration fees as appropriate. You will likely not be refunded the mirror fee (think of it as a deposit), but I will scale your refund based on how many games you did get to play. I will additionally try to refund fees if I personally believe tournament quality severely suffered as a result of its guerrilla nature, but I reserve the right to not refund fees at all. (Obviously, if the tournament is cancelled prior to its date, and you haven't paid yet, you're not on the hook for anything.)

Lingering Questions

I have almost definitely forgotten something. Please post here or message me if you have any further questions/concerns. Again, PLEASE try to staff.
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm

This is a separate post to increase visibility of the signup sheet, which, again, is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2109749004
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

csheep
Wakka
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by csheep » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Demand for the main event seems like it's far outstripping the six teams.

The current method of allocating spots based on who happened to be online and saw this thread first seems incredibly unfair to me, given how drawn out this scheduling process has been. I would be very annoyed if I don't get to play the main event, despite indicating interest way back in April, just because I was away from my computer when the sign-up sheet went up and filled out instantly.

Priority should be given to people who are willing to staff side events, as one suggestion.
Michael Zhuang
NYU '13

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:49 pm

csheep wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm
Demand for the main event seems like it's far outstripping the six teams.

The current method of allocating spots based on who happened to be online and saw this thread first seems incredibly unfair to me, given how drawn out this scheduling process has been. I would be very annoyed if I don't get to play the main event, despite indicating interest way back in April, just because I was away from my computer when the sign-up sheet went up and filled out instantly.

Priority should be given to people who are willing to staff side events, as one suggestion.
I'm unsympathetic to requests to re-allocate the initial six field spots, as there's no way to fairly kick one of the already signed up teams off the list.

It isn't a bad idea to give priority to people who will staff, but past experience tells me we probably won't need it for people who will staff side events, but rather the main event.

If, for some reason you are holding another staff member hostage, I will give your team priority to join the wait list if you can recruit that staffer.

I really hope you won't treat this as a tit-for-tat solution, though, and will preemptively recruit staffers/staff yourself. Given that staffers are already being paid, I really do not think it's in the spirit of QB to only staff because it directly benefits you.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Billiards Fool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Perhaps this is because I'm not super interested in a ton of the side events, but is there a reason side events are prioritized over a full main event? (I don't remember the poll, so maybe it was a question on the poll?). I'd personally prefer not to abbreviate the main event, but obviously whatever works works.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 pm

The Billiards Fool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm
Perhaps this is because I'm not super interested in a ton of the side events, but is there a reason side events are prioritized over a full main event? (I don't remember the poll, so maybe it was a question on the poll?). I'd personally prefer not to abbreviate the main event, but obviously whatever works works.
Because, in the context of what "abbreviating" means here, this is the equivalent of postponing side events for the entire field so that 2-4 teams can play off packets just for themselves. Actually, if whatever teams those are end up being OK with that and missing out on side-events, I'm not going to stop them if they can find a reader.

This also isn't something I want to put up to a vote, because of course more people are signed up for the main event [primarily] in the first place and so would outweigh the side event votes.

I'm already extremely peeved that it looks like there's a chance several people affected the side event voting, but were really only interested in the main event in the first place.

One of my main reasons for bothering to organize this event is because there are a lot of cool side events that people spend a lot of time to write, but there's not many good avenues to run "organized" playthroughs of those packets. I would like this open to both function as a regular quizbowl tournament, and as a chance to give those side events their proper moment in the sun.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

csheep
Wakka
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by csheep » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:32 pm

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:49 pm
csheep wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:26 pm
Demand for the main event seems like it's far outstripping the six teams.

The current method of allocating spots based on who happened to be online and saw this thread first seems incredibly unfair to me, given how drawn out this scheduling process has been. I would be very annoyed if I don't get to play the main event, despite indicating interest way back in April, just because I was away from my computer when the sign-up sheet went up and filled out instantly.

Priority should be given to people who are willing to staff side events, as one suggestion.
I'm unsympathetic to requests to re-allocate the initial six field spots, as there's no way to fairly kick one of the already signed up teams off the list.

It isn't a bad idea to give priority to people who will staff, but past experience tells me we probably won't need it for people who will staff side events, but rather the main event.

If, for some reason you are holding another staff member hostage, I will give your team priority to join the wait list if you can recruit that staffer.

I really hope you won't treat this as a tit-for-tat solution, though, and will preemptively recruit staffers/staff yourself. Given that staffers are already being paid, I really do not think it's in the spirit of QB to only staff because it directly benefits you.
What will be the order of allocating spots on shorthanded teams between players on currently waitlisted teams and the free agents list?
(Why are teams allowed to claim full four-person slots with with shorthanded teams to begin with for this particular situation, given how scarce spots are?)

Separately, I don't understand what is "tit-for-tat" about the suggestion that people who contribute to the running of the tournament in aggregate (main + side events) be given "priority" over those who do not. If, as you say, staff for side events is extraneous, why is profit being divided amongst them?
UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 pm
I'm already extremely peeved that it looks like there's a chance several people affected the side event voting, but were really only interested in the main event in the first place.
What is this referring to? It seems important to make sure the side events being run are for the benefit of those who are actually playing/staffing them, so very curious on if you think there's something off about how the vote went.
Last edited by csheep on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Zhuang
NYU '13

csheep
Wakka
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by csheep » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 pm

. double post
Michael Zhuang
NYU '13

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:38 pm

If you are a full team and contact me first, and I can successfully contact/commit your associated staffer, you will be taken off the waitlist first when full team spots open up.

If you are a free agent, you will get priority when I start forcing people to join existing teams. This is actually a good point I forgot to mention--I will take this action, so be forewarned. (Probably 7 - 10 days in advance of the tournament date.) Obviously, if you yourself reach out to an existing team, and work out something where you leave the free agent field and join a team, you won't need this kind of priority pass.

I understand your frustration with why seemingly empty spots on teams are allowed to exist, but given that there are plenty of free agents to fill those spots, prioritizing people who have full teams seems to just shift the goalposts from prioritizing people who were browsing the forums at the right time, to people who were browsing the forums at the right time and also happen to have friends who were doing the same.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Billiards Fool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:00 pm

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:30 pm
The Billiards Fool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm
Perhaps this is because I'm not super interested in a ton of the side events, but is there a reason side events are prioritized over a full main event? (I don't remember the poll, so maybe it was a question on the poll?). I'd personally prefer not to abbreviate the main event, but obviously whatever works works.
Because, in the context of what "abbreviating" means here, this is the equivalent of postponing side events for the entire field so that 2-4 teams can play off packets just for themselves. Actually, if whatever teams those are end up being OK with that and missing out on side-events, I'm not going to stop them if they can find a reader.

This also isn't something I want to put up to a vote, because of course more people are signed up for the main event [primarily] in the first place and so would outweigh the side event votes.

I'm already extremely peeved that it looks like there's a chance several people affected the side event voting, but were really only interested in the main event in the first place.

One of my main reasons for bothering to organize this event is because there are a lot of cool side events that people spend a lot of time to write, but there's not many good avenues to run "organized" playthroughs of those packets. I would like this open to both function as a regular quizbowl tournament, and as a chance to give those side events their proper moment in the sun.
That's reasonable! I'll say that just as a guess I'd imagine teams would want to play a final, but I get the reasoning.

re: side events and skewed voting: is there any way you can account for this? (also, out of curiosity, do you mean people who voted for side events and then aren't playing or staffing them at all? or just people who voted but are maybe playing less than expected?)

Aside from this all thanks a ton for organizing this! I had a ton of fun last year and I couldn't agree more with your goal for the event so thanks a ton for that!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

User avatar
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Because I had the misfortune to be traveling without WiFi today, I am looking to bribe someone to staff in order to guarantee a place in the field. People who accept will be paid $4.20 plus lunch, in addition to whatever the main event offers.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

User avatar
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Smuttynose Island » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 pm

I'd like to suggest expanding the field to 9 teams and at worst committing to run a 9 team round robin. That will, for now, solve the demand issue while also guaranteeing enough staffers to run the event. If more staffers sign up, then we can readjust. If not, we've at least got 50% more people playing quizbowl.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home

User avatar
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Aaron's Rod » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Yikes.

(Any of you who have the means should just come to Illinois. If you can find your way to Chicago, you can probably get a ride. And it's not hard for them to get rooms.)
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Smuttynose Island wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 pm
I'd like to suggest expanding the field to 9 teams and at worst committing to run a 9 team round robin. That will, for now, solve the demand issue while also guaranteeing enough staffers to run the event. If more staffers sign up, then we can readjust. If not, we've at least got 50% more people playing quizbowl.
I like Daniel's idea, and I think it's a very good option. The only reason I'm not doing it immediately is because it's literally been less than 10 hours since I made my initial post. I think we can wait a little longer to see if more staff sign up. I apologize if I gave off a tone of panic, which I think has sort of set a bad initial atmosphere. There's probably not much reason to wait, but there's also probably not much reason not to not wait. (Well, actually--the other reason is that bye's are still unoptimal for the obvious reason, so I do still want to pressure people to staff.)

If it's that you need to know immediately so you can make travel plans--I will point out, again, that I strongly discourage attending this tournament if making plans to attend is a strenuous burden on your part. The room situation remains shaky, and I will probably hold this stance until the tournament has literally happened.

(Also, as Daniel has already privately pointed out to me: we can do this with 10 teams as well, with two brackets of five, and I'm slightly leaning toward that.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 pm
Yikes.

(Any of you who have the means should just come to Illinois. If you can find your way to Chicago, you can probably get a ride. And it's not hard for them to get rooms.)
I heartily endorse this!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

Edward Lansdale
Lulu
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Edward Lansdale » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am

I'm interested in staffing* (seeing that staff constraints seem to be the main impediment to increasing field size), however, I need to know that I will not be out of pocket at the end of the weekend after my travel and food expenses. In other words, I need a concrete number, not a vague promise of profit-sharing. If the compensation is in the form of train tickets, pizza catered for lunch, etc, that needs to be communicated in advance.

*I am aware I am currently on a waitlisted team, but have told my teammates I might choose to staff instead.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
Keck Graduate Institute '15

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

Edward Lansdale wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am
I'm interested in staffing* (seeing that staff constraints seem to be the main impediment to increasing field size), however, I need to know that I will not be out of pocket at the end of the weekend after my travel and food expenses. In other words, I need a concrete number, not a vague promise of profit-sharing. If the compensation is in the form of train tickets, pizza catered for lunch, etc, that needs to be communicated in advance.

*I am aware I am currently on a waitlisted team, but have told my teammates I might choose to staff instead.
This depends entirely on what our final field size + registration fees are, and how many other staff there are going to be. I guess up to a max of us literally managing to have a mod + scorekeeper for every room, 2-3 staff floating around on call, and me. It's not going to be like "oh, I'll toss you guys $20" at the end of the day, but I can't really volunteer more than guesstimates based on math.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
vcpavao
Lulu
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:02 pm
Location: Somerville, MA

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by vcpavao » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Anyone traveling from the Boston area, I plan on driving to NYC that Friday night. Feel free to DM me if you would like to carpool or share a hotel, it would be great if we could lower everyone’s costs.

Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
Somerville, MA

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:31 pm

vcpavao wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:11 pm
Anyone traveling from the Boston area, I plan on driving to NYC that Friday night. Feel free to DM me if you would like to carpool or share a hotel, it would be great if we could lower everyone’s costs.
You are free to make whatever calculated decisions you'd like--and I'm really only repeating this out of general concern, not to try and scare you specifically off--but please, please [anyone] do not spend extravagantly on travel/lodging to the point where you would be extremely miffed if part of the tournament falls through, or at the least, would have something else to do in NYC that you'd enjoy beside Quizbowl.

If you already recognize that, and understand the risks involved, I do hope you come, then--and have a great time!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50 pm

I can maybe offer my apartment as a place to play AOE if things fall through.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 pm

I have increased the field size to 10 teams, and edited the sheet accordingly.

I expect the field size to increase further. However, please note that, after some consideration, I am probably going to hard cap the field size at 16 entirely, because of concerns I have about managing anything larger than that in a way that doesn't detrimentally affect the tournament quality of the field overall. If there is extremely significant interest, I will probably be open to jumping straight to 20 teams, but I'll probably also reduce the registration fees retroactively for the whole field in that case.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6365
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by grapesmoker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 am

Dallas Simons and I are looking for teammates.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

User avatar
grapesmoker
Sin
Posts: 6365
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by grapesmoker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am

We are now playing with Connor and Jakob.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

User avatar
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Morristown, NJ

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Kouign Amann » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:51 am

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm
We will be running Unanswered Question, META, and MUSES as Sunday side-events in that order.
Given that MUSES is twelve full packets of 20/20, I wonder if trying to stick it in at the end of the day is really the best choice. Any chance we could lead off with that?
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:45 pm

That's actually one of my reasons for putting it last--if we play it first, I have to guess to see whether we should play fewer packets or not (at the risk of severely delaying the other events). If we play it last, there's always the option to play the full 12 packets.

(And, yes, there is a chance we don't play all 12 packets. I don't think that's unreasonable, though, just 8 would already be more than enough.)

(Oh, also--there's a more than decent chance we don't do bonuses. I'm actually extremely skeptical that we'll read those, but I'll probably let people playing decide.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku
Posts: 450
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Heart's in the woods

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Stately Rhododendron » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Can I suggest censoring the names of the location of this event? Just for extra security...
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."

User avatar
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Morristown, NJ

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Kouign Amann » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:37 pm

Put me down as saying we should honor the hard work of those who provide the events for us by, yknow, playing them as written.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Billiards Fool » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:44 pm

Kouign Amann wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:37 pm
Put me down as saying we should honor the hard work of those who provide the events for us by, yknow, playing them as written.
Agreed. If it's too prohibitive to play MUSES I'd prefer another event (no idea which event I could be referring to) than a shortened version of MUSES. That way I can still try and play MUSES in full somewhere else.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:08 pm

I've increased the field size to 12.

I would really like to avoid field sizes of 13, as it is particular ugly, and 14 and 15 are not great either. If you are a free agent, or in an undersized team not yet in the field, I would encourage you to either recruit your friends so that we can get new teams, or try and join one of the teams in the existing field by taking one of their empty spots.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Also, Dogeville West & East, please add your contact emails, there is no reason to not have done so yet. I'll start emailing teams prelim. info this week, and if I don't have your emails by then, I'll move you out of the field. (Consider this a warning to a warning.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:22 pm

Also--it looks like buzzers have charged back into the fray as another cap on field size. We're probably going to have to lock the field at 12 until I can get at least another buzzer, but I'd prefer two.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
connor.mayers
Lulu
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA
Contact:

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by connor.mayers » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm

UlyssesInvictus wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:22 pm
Also--it looks like buzzers have charged back into the fray as another cap on field size. We're probably going to have to lock the field at 12 until I can get at least another buzzer, but I'd prefer two.
I’ll add two buzzers to our registration
Connor Mayers
Penn Manor '20

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks! I've modified your entry on the spreadsheet.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
zeebli123
Lulu
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:04 pm
Location: Holmdel, New Jersey

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by zeebli123 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am

The team of me, Anson, and Steven are no longer able to go, so I've removed our names from the spreadsheet.
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
"Everything Michael says sounds like a song with his voice" - Arjun Nageswaran

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:46 pm

zeebli123 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am
The team of me, Anson, and Steven are no longer able to go, so I've removed our names from the spreadsheet.
If this applies to your side event participation, just please remember to remove yourself from that as well.

In response to this drop, I have moved a team off the waitlist and into the field.

This has increased the likelihood that I will hard cap the field at 12, and I strongly encourage free agents to enter open team slots ASAP.

If you have not entered yourself as a free agent, but are still entertaining ideas of joining the field, either as part of an existing team, or as a new team, please do so ASAP. From my current POV, it seems that we do not have enough free agents to add enough teams to warrant increasing the field cap--if you have info that would alter this perspective, please make sure to provide it.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:36 am

This is two weeks away, and we have a very conspicuous empty team slot, and 8 free agents (albeit many "probably" FAs).

Please take that team slot now if you can! I have decided it will be *very* unlikely that I'll increase the field cap further, so...

Meanwhile, I'll probably be sending out the first logistics email tomorrow (mainly just a "check in, how ya doing" thing)--communication will be veeery important this event, so I've added an "Additional Team Emails" column to the spreadsheet if you'd like me to BCC any other people on your team. The main email I have will be the main mode of communication, but if you don't want to forward every email to your teammates, you can put emails there.

Note that there will be separate email threads for the Oxford Open event and (collectively) all other events.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

csheep
Wakka
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by csheep » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 am

I'm looking for a team for META, Age of Empires, and possibly Muses/Unanswered Q.
I can hopefully contribute miscellaneous lit, spotty classical music, and China Stuff. I know nothing about visual art. I will probably be a third/fourth scorer.

Separately, our main event team currently consisting of myself/Aaron Cohen/Mirza Ahmed (for part of the day) has an open slot - welcome to any/all.
Michael Zhuang
NYU '13

User avatar
nycaqb1999
Lulu
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: New York, NY + Middletown, CT

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by nycaqb1999 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Is there an approximate start time planned for Sunday side events?
Maximilian Shatan
Founder and Captain,
Bard High School Early College Manhattan '18
Captain,
Wesleyan University '22

"beep...beep...beep" - Sputnik I

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:23 pm

nycaqb1999 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:32 pm
Is there an approximate start time planned for Sunday side events?
Should be a little after 9. I'll send an email with more details later today or tomorrow.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:04 pm

We're still stuck at nine teams, and if we remain stuck, then we have no choice but to play with some ugly bye systems. If you're a free agent, please form a team sooner rather than later.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

High Dependency Unit
Rikku
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by High Dependency Unit » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm

What time is this starting on Saturday?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
NHBB Regional Coordinator
www.ctquizbowl.org

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:40 pm

High Dependency Unit wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm
What time is this starting on Saturday?
Raynor's Logistics Email wrote: Hamilton Hall doors unlock at 8 AM*. I encourage you to arrive as soon as possible, and as long as you're not actively bothering anyone setting up, your presence will only help us squat in rooms (I may in fact ask you to distribute yourselves to accommodate this.)

Registration itself will open in the control room at 8:40 AM, and I hope games will start soon after 9 AM.

*(Note that the only door that unlocks in the morning is the one on the wheelchair ramp. I will probably remind people about this later.)
Note that Hamilton may actually unlock at 8:30 AM according to some new schedules I found? But 8 AM is reputable info as well. Columbia has plenty of stuff to do if your potential problem is arriving too early.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

User avatar
rùdrâ
Lulu
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:41 am

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by rùdrâ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm

When is this running until on sunday?
Rudra Ranganathan
University of Michigan '19

csheep
Wakka
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by csheep » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:00 pm

csheep wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 am
Separately, our main event team currently consisting of myself/Aaron Cohen/Mirza Ahmed has an open slot - welcome to any/all.
We still have an open slot, if anyone wants to join last minute or if there's extraneous/backup staff who want to hop in casually.
Michael Zhuang
NYU '13

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:22 pm

rùdrâ wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm
When is this running until on sunday?
This is entirely dependent on

1) how willing people are to compromise on the format in which we run MUSES
2) whether or not the building forces our hand by kicking us out (actually unlikely, i think)
3) when MUSES begins (probably 2:30 to 3:30 range, based on similar scheduling in Boston last year)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Billiards Fool » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:25 pm

If anyone would last minute like to join Ophir, Sam, and I for the main event lmk asap!

EDIT: jk
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

User avatar
Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite
Auron
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Contact:

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Haaaaaaaarry Whiiiiiiiiiite » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:02 am

Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13, PACE Member
Tournament Database Search
Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food

User avatar
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna
Posts: 818
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by UlyssesInvictus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 pm

This happened. "Columbia" took first place with a 10-1 record, and "The Death of Cringehoffer" took second with a 9-2 record. You can find full stats at the link Harry posted above.

Side events are being run today, and will continue to be run tomorrow.

Please continue to check emails for all scheduling handling.

I hope everyone had fun!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM

The Billiards Fool
Wakka
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by The Billiards Fool » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 pm

After a protest we (Shibeposting) defeated Dogeville East so we should be 9-2 and they should be 8-3.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20

User avatar
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron
Posts: 2002
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: GUERILLA NYC Summer Open Main Thread

Post by Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:51 pm

OxO was very well run, many thanks are due to Raynor for taking initiative with this whole thing.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase HS '12, Dartmouth '16, Columbia Business School '21
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor

Post Reply