2019 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2019 HSNCT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

2019 HSNCT round 4 wrote:A shop across a street from this building contains a single cash register and no other signage. The now-vacant Mulry Square may have been the site of the inspiration for this building, which has no visible entrance. The man who depicted this building claimed it was located "where two streets meet" in (*) Greenwich Village. An advertisement for Phillies cigars adorns—for 10 points—what building in an Edward Hopper painting?

answer: (the) diner in Nighthawks (accept answers indicating both Nighthawks and the notion of a diner or caf\'e or restaurant; prompt on "diner" or similar answers that don't mention the painting; prompt on "(the building in) Nighthawks")
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Muriatic
Kimahri

Post by Muriatic »

Could I see the tossup on orthogonality? (Rd 16 I believe.) I negged after I heard product equal to Kronecker delta; I think there was probably a 2/(2n+1) in front of that that I didn't hear.
Brandon Wang
Saratoga '20
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 16 wrote:Legendre polynomials have this property since the inner product of two of them is proportional to a Kronecker delta function. Vectors must be linearly independent if they mutually have this property. The Gram-Schmidt process finds vectors that have this property, possibly (*) normalized. Two vectors with this property have an inner product, or dot product, of 0. For 10 points—name this generalization of perpendicularity.

answer: orthogonality (or being orthogonal; prompt on "perpendicular(ity)" before "perpendicularity")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auger recombination
Rikku

Post by Auger recombination »

Important Bird Area wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:06 pm
2019 HSNCT round 16 wrote:Legendre polynomials have this property since the inner product of two of them is proportional to a Kronecker delta function. Vectors must be linearly independent if they mutually have this property. The Gram-Schmidt process finds vectors that have this property, possibly (*) normalized. Two vectors with this property have an inner product, or dot product, of 0. For 10 points—name this generalization of perpendicularity.

answer: orthogonality (or being orthogonal; prompt on "perpendicular(ity)" before "perpendicularity")
Its probably worth including orthonormality in the answerline since, as the question notes, Gram-Schmidt is usually an orthonormalization process.
Finn Bender
Edmond Memorial '15
OU '19
Colorado '21
elyne road
Lulu

Post by elyne road »

Could I please see the tossups on Long Island and Epsilon from round 22? I think that the Long Island tossup mentioned something about Jones Beach and I buzzed on impulse because I really like Nas' song "One Love," which mentions it. Also, could I please see the tossups on Hyperbolae, True Grit, Tryptophan and Indus River Valley from round 23? The film tossups in this set were very fun to listen to, even though I only played a few of them, and for me, the Pulp Fiction tossup (Round 18 or 19, I think) was one of my favorite in the set in terms of both accessibility and power clues. Thanks to all the writers and editors for their hard work on this set!
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 22 wrote:It's not in Maine, but the Supreme Court case U.S. v. Maine ruled this island is legally not an island. Jones Beach can be accessed via this island's Southern State Parkway, which Robert Moses allegedly designed to limit bus access by low-income residents. This island's wealthy (*) Suffolk County contains the Hamptons. The boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens are on—for 10 points—what New York island named for its length?
2019 HSNCT round 22 wrote:This letter is not lambda, but David Hilbert used it for an operator that replaces logical quantifiers in a namesake "calculus." The Levi-Civita symbol is usually represented by the lowercase form of this Greek letter. This letter represents (*) empty strings in formal languages and empty transitions of finite-state machines. For 10 points—name this Greek letter that appears with delta in the formal definition of limits.
2019 HSNCT round 23 wrote:The lemniscate of Bernoulli is made by inverting this curve about a circle with the same center. Rotating this curve about an axis can produce a quadric surface with one or two "sheets." The equation "y equals (*) plus or minus b over a times x" gives the asymptotes ["ASS-imp-totes"] of this curve. For 10 points—name this curve defined as the locus of points with a fixed difference of distances from two foci, a conic section with two branches.

answer: hyperbola(s) (do not accept or prompt on "hyperboloid")
2019 HSNCT round 23 wrote:This film's heroine name-drops attorney J. Noble Daggett, and taunts a Texan by saying all Texans "cultivate their hair like lettuce." Glen Campbell portrayed Texas Ranger La Beouf, who is among those tracking Ned Pepper and Tom Chaney in this movie, in which (*) Mattie Ross hires an old U.S. Marshal. John Wayne's only Oscar came for playing Rooster Cogburn in—for 10 points—what Western remade in 2010 by the Coen brothers?
2019 HSNCT round 23 wrote:The compound that makes up this amino acid's side chain diffuses to another site of this compound's synthase via substrate channeling. This compound is hydroxylated to form serotonin. This amino acid co-activates its own repressor in an oft-studied (*) operon. Because of its indole side chain, this amino acid with symbol "W" is aromatic. For 10 points—name this amino acid often linked with drowsiness after eating turkey.

answer: tryptophan (or Trp or tryptophane; accept W before "W")
2019 HSNCT round 23 wrote:This civilization built the oldest known dock at its port of Lothal. This civilization also built the world's oldest public sanitation systems, exemplified by the reservoirs at Dholavira. Its "Pashupati Seal" may be an early depiction of the (*) Hindu god Shiva. Its two largest cities were Harappa in the south and Mohenjo-daro. For 10 points—what Bronze Age civilization flourished in the valley of Pakistan's longest river?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

insohumniac wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:32 am the Pulp Fiction tossup (Round 18 or 19, I think)
Could I see this tossup?
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Kasper Kaijanen wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 pm

Its probably worth including orthonormality in the answerline since, as the question notes, Gram-Schmidt is usually an orthonormalization process.
I negged a player who said "orthonormal" and that neg was upheld upon protest, and I believe the explanation was that Legendre polynomials are not necessarily normalized.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

bolshevik wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 pm
insohumniac wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:32 am the Pulp Fiction tossup (Round 18 or 19, I think)
Could I see this tossup?
2019 HSNCT round 19 wrote:For this film, Urge Overkill covered Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon." A passage in this film describing "furious anger" is identified as Ezekiel 25:17. 666 is the combination to a (*) briefcase in this film whose glowing contents are never explained. This 1994 film revived the career of John Travolta, who played the hitman Vincent Vega. A genre of cheap novels titles—for 10 points—what Quentin Tarantino film?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

jonpin wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:13 pm
Kasper Kaijanen wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 pm

I negged a player who said "orthonormal" and that neg was upheld upon protest, and I believe the explanation was that Legendre polynomials are not necessarily normalized.
I might be getting into the weeds on this, but the Legendre polynomials can be normalized. I don't think this question really distinguishes between the two definitions very well, so I'm not sure why both weren't acceptable. Especially since a player could plausibly buzz on "The Gram-Schmidt process finds vectors that have this property" with "orthnormality" and be correct (as Finn pointed out) before the word "normalized" comes up in the tossup.

Just to be clear, this is not a comment on the decision to neg the player, because I would have done the same.
Eleanor
they/she
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Looking back on this question, I think _orthonormal_ should be acceptable before the word "normalized"--while the wording of the clues more directly hints towards _orthogonal_, the first two sentences are both certainly true for an answer of "orthonormal" as well (in particular, the phrase "proportional to" in the leadin is too vague to clearly distinguish between the two). Sorry to any players who were negged because of this!
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Could I see the bonus on "Sumer is icumen in?" (I think it's round 1).

I can't remember what the other two parts were. There weren't many 0's on bonuses in the room I read, and that one in particular stuck out to me.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
Important Bird Area

dwd500 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm Could I see the bonus on "Sumer is icumen in?" (I think it's round 1).

I can't remember what the other two parts were. There weren't many 0's on bonuses in the room I read, and that one in particular stuck out to me.
2019 HSNCT round 1 wrote:This song's lyrics note that "Awe bleteth after lomb," meaning "the ewe bleats after the lamb." For 10 points each—

A. Name this Middle English rota, a verse that is often sung as a round. It describes various animals's excitement for warm weather, including how "the buck farts."

answer: Sumer is icumen in (accept translations such as "Summer has come in")

B. This fascist poet of the Cantos and "In a Station of the Metro" wrote "Winter is icumen in," a parody of "Sumer is icumen in."

answer: Ezra Pound (or Ezra Weston Loomis Pound)

C. In Middle English, the phrase "is icumen" is not a present progressive; rather, it's in this tense and aspect indicating recent completion.

answer: present perfect (do not accept or prompt on partial answers)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

May I please see the tossup on the dative case? I negged this with ablative on "separation" and just want to see some of the clues.
Robert Muñiz
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 20 wrote:The title of a book by Bastian Sick calls this case "the death of the genitive," referring to a possessive construction in German. In Latin, this case can express "separation" or "disadvantage"; in second-declension nouns, this case is identical to the (*) ablative. Some German prepositions can govern nouns in either the accusative or this other case. For 10 points—name this grammatical case often used for indirect objects.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

For people who take Latin and have no idea what the first clue was talking about, the "separation" clue could have caused quite a few negs, since the ablative of separation is a very common construction in Latin, much more so than the dative of separation. I might just be speaking for myself though.
Robert Muñiz
setaisjihad
Kimahri

Post by setaisjihad »

Could I see the sports tossup (from Round 2 I believe) on the University of South Florida? This seemed quite hard for HSNCT difficulty level.

edit: my memory sucks and this was a scrimmage
Last edited by setaisjihad on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Rubin
Langley '19
Wililiam & Mary '23
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I think, similarly to as was done with this year's MSNCT, the HSNCT could probably stand to have harder playoffs. I don't think the jump needs to be as drastic as it was for MSNCT - I think the HSNCT playoffs could stand to be L7 (for those who don't know NAQT's difficulty scale, that's equivalent to D2 ICT) instead of L6, as the prelims are. However, I think that, given the extremely similar strength of the teams at top (all but one of the T-8 teams had over 21 PPB) and that even weaker playoff teams are still handily beating 15 PPB, the playoffs could stand to amp up difficulty slightly to more finely grade these teams' skill.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I see no sports tossup on South Florida. There's a bonus on Central Florida and a tossup on the Miami Dolphins.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Important Bird Area

setaisjihad wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:28 pm Could I see the sports tossup (from Round 2 I believe) on the University of South Florida? This seemed quite hard for HSNCT difficulty level.
I too am unable to find a tossup in HSNCT matching this description; please let me know if you remember any further details.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:54 pm I think, similarly to as was done with this year's MSNCT, the HSNCT could probably stand to have harder playoffs. I don't think the jump needs to be as drastic as it was for MSNCT - I think the HSNCT playoffs could stand to be L7 (for those who don't know NAQT's difficulty scale, that's equivalent to D2 ICT) instead of L6, as the prelims are. However, I think that, given the extremely similar strength of the teams at top (all but one of the T-8 teams had over 21 PPB) and that even weaker playoff teams are still handily beating 15 PPB, the playoffs could stand to amp up difficulty slightly to more finely grade these teams' skill.
We don't believe this would be a good idea under current conditions (but we're open to reassessing that in the future if we see significant changes in conversion data).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Important Bird Area wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:02 pm
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:54 pm I think, similarly to as was done with this year's MSNCT, the HSNCT could probably stand to have harder playoffs. I don't think the jump needs to be as drastic as it was for MSNCT - I think the HSNCT playoffs could stand to be L7 (for those who don't know NAQT's difficulty scale, that's equivalent to D2 ICT) instead of L6, as the prelims are. However, I think that, given the extremely similar strength of the teams at top (all but one of the T-8 teams had over 21 PPB) and that even weaker playoff teams are still handily beating 15 PPB, the playoffs could stand to amp up difficulty slightly to more finely grade these teams' skill.
We don't believe this would be a good idea under current conditions (but we're open to reassessing that in the future if we see significant changes in conversion data).
To elaborate a bit on this argument: I think it's generally accepted conventional wisdom that a median bonus conversion of 15 PPB or so is ideal for a field. For sets like PACE, ACF Nationals, or ICT, the entire field plays almost the entire tournament, apart from a few extra playoff games at PACE (and formerly at Nationals) for the top bracket - so it doesn't make sense to modulate difficulty if it's already calibrated correctly. For HSNCT, however, the teams getting less than 15 PPB are getting eliminated before the playoffs, so you're not throwing these playoff teams something that's dramatically above their caliber.

The HSNCT playoffs format is already of a high-variance nature - it's not hard to end up like Blair, where you take two losses to top 10 teams and then get immediately knocked out, without a chance to recover. Increasing the difficulty won't remove this part of the variance, but it might help grade which teams scale up better, and adding that extra level of refinement would probably help separate out a very evenly matched field.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
benchapman
Lulu

Post by benchapman »

Could I please see the "Queens" tossup (we firstlined it and I wanted to see what the other clues were), the "Alaska" one, and the "zero" one?
Benjamin Chapman
Hunter College High School '21
University of Toronto '26
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 11 wrote:This borough is home to the main American factory of piano-maker Steinway and Sons. This borough's Rockaway Peninsula is one terminus of the "A" train. A "Unisphere" built for the 1964 World's Fair is in this borough's (*) Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, which is also the location of Citi Field, the home of the Mets. Both LaGuardia Airport and JFK Airport are in—for 10 points—what easternmost New York City borough?
2019 HSNCT round 18 wrote:Particles with a spin of this value are described by the Klein-Gordon equation. Two observables are compatible if the commutator of their operators is this constant. A subscript of either four or this number is assigned to the (*) time coordinate in special relativity. For an object in static equilibrium, the net torque and net force equal—for 10 points—what number, which gives the velocity of a particle at rest?
2019 HSNCT round 14 wrote:An ancient human skeleton found in this state's On Your Knees Cave was eventually returned to a native group. A large molybdenum reserve is part of this state's Misty Fjords National Monument, within its (*) Tongass National Forest. A shipping route called the Inside Passage runs along this state's panhandle and its cities of Sitka and Skagway. For 10 points—what state's panhandle also includes its capital, Juneau?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

2019 HSNCT round 24 wrote:When an L2 penalty is used in this process, the result is called Tikhonov regularization, or the "ridge" version of this process. In one form of this process, the matrix "X transpose X inverse X transpose" is called the "hat matrix." By the Gauss- (*) Markov theorem, the best unbiased estimator for this process's linear case is the ordinary least squares method. For 10 points—what technique estimates two variables' relationship?

answer: regression (or linear regression or ridge regression or ordinary least squares regression or OLS regression)
So the first part of the first sentence is ambigious. "L1" and "L2" penalty/regularizatoin schemas are used in both regression and classification algorithms. For example. Both are just ways of minimizing overfitting when solving your loss function. I also feel like the term hat matrix is less evocative than just writing "projection matrix" or talking about the Beta hats (or c hats) which are the estimated coefficients. This may be unavoidable given the character limitations, but there are conditions for the Gauss Markov theorem to be true. It seems this sentence was copied straight from Wikipedia instead of a book like Wooldrige or Stock and Watson.

Anyway, I'd like to praise the Puerto Rico tossup. Mofongo are very good and El Yunque is great to visit even if the hurricane destroyed some of the hiking paths.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
bigbluemist
Lulu

Post by bigbluemist »

Round 25

Could you post the question where I believe the answer was single payer healthcare but universal healthcare for all was accepted after originally ruled incorrect. I wasn’t in the room but would like to see it
Jim Reid
Glasgow
Important Bird Area

bigbluemist wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:17 pm Round 25

Could you post the question where I believe the answer was single payer healthcare but universal healthcare for all was accepted after originally ruled incorrect. I wasn’t in the room but would like to see it
2019 HSNCT round 25 wrote:A January 2019 letter to Keith Hall about this type of system noted the lack of a "clear blueprint." A May 2019 CBO analysis of this policy used Taiwan as one of six "selected countries" compared and was commissioned by John Yarmuth, chairman of the House Budget Committee. Britain's (*) NHS and "Medicare for all" exemplify—for 10 points—what policy under which the government, alone, covers healthcare costs for all its citizens?

answer: single-payer healthcare (system) (accept Medicare for all before "Medicare"; prompt on "universal health care" or "government health care" or "government health insurance" or "health reform"; do not accept or prompt on "Medicare")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Vembanad
Lulu

Post by Vembanad »

Could you post the tossups on Gulliver's Travels (Rd. 13), up-arrows (Rd. 20), and Isle of Dogs (Rd. 26), as well as the bonus on Studio Ghibli (Rd. 24)? Thanks!

I also have a general category-wide observation. The lit in this set seemed, on average, very hard to power. I'm not a great lit player by any means but in practice I can often power one lit question or so per packet of HSNCT or PACE. I wouldn't expect to do nearly this well playing against much better lit players but I was still surprised to have a total of one actual lit power the whole tournament. Looking at others' statistics, Olivia Lamberti and James Kuang, two of the best lit players in the country, only had 1 power per game in all of prelims (and some of these likely weren't lit). I'd be curious to hear what other people felt.
Cerulean Ozarow
Hunter '21
Brown '25
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 13 wrote:This book's narrator is apprenticed to a man he calls "good master Bates." A minister named Skyresh Bolgolam vows to be its narrator's "mortal enemy," and conspires to banish him for urinating on the queen's (*) house. Late sections of this novel feature intelligent horses, humans called Yahoos, and the flying island of Laputa. A doctor's adventures in Lilliput [LIL-ih-put] are recounted in—for 10 points—what satire by Jonathan Swift?
2019 HSNCT round 20 wrote:The Conway chain "a, b, c" is equivalent to an expression involving c of these symbols. The three-argument Ackermann function can be conveniently expressed using these symbols. Graham's number is defined recursively using the number (*) 3 and these symbols. Two of these symbols indicate iterated exponentiation. For 10 points—Donald Knuth suggested that what symbols be used iteratively to help express very large numbers?

answer: up arrows (accept any reasonable answer indicating an arrow pointing up; accept answers that specify Donald Knuth's up arrows; prompt on "arrow(s)")
2019 HSNCT round 26 wrote:A character in this film narrates about the time before the "Age of Obedience," during which a legendary boy warrior composed the battle-poem "I turn my back / On man-kind! / Frost on window-pane." In this film, most of the lines delivered by the "Little (*) Pilot" are not translated into English. Atari Kobayashi searches for Spots in--for 10 points--what 2018 Wes Anderson film in which canines are exiled to the title place?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

matthewspatrick
Lulu

Post by matthewspatrick »

May I please have the text of the Airplane! tossup from the final?
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.
Important Bird Area

2019 HSNCT round 31 wrote:In this film, a woman who asks for something "light" to read is given a leaflet on "Jewish sports legends." A child in this film realizes that Roger Murdock is actually the basketball player (*) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Leslie Nielsen co-stars in this film as a doctor who remarks "don't call me Shirley." Otto the inflatable auto-pilot appears in—for 10 points—what 1980 disaster movie parody about a troubled flight?
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Are conversion stats up yet?

The tossup in pack 21 on shuffling should have an answerline directive on "randomization"
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
jzlau2
Lulu

Post by jzlau2 »

The stats for the University Lab vs Stevenson A game in Round 29 are incorrect. I should have 3 negs (TUs 13, 22, 23), and Dylan should have 2 negs (TUs 5 & 24).
Jonathan Lau
UIUC Laboratory HS 2021
Johns Hopkins 2024
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jzlau2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am The stats for the University Lab vs Stevenson A game in Round 29 are incorrect. I should have 3 negs (TUs 13, 22, 23), and Dylan should have 2 negs (TUs 5 & 24).
I'll take a look at the scoresheet and make any necessary changes. For future reference, results corrections should go to [email protected] since it is often necessary to have some back-and-forth that isn't really suitable for this forum.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Important Bird Area

Conversion data is now available for the 2019 HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

J. Young wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:41 pm Can I see conversion stats for the bonus on fictional metals (alloys?)? Curious as to how many teams converted the third part.
2019 HSNCT round 5 wrote:For 10 points each—answer the following about fictional metals and alloys:

A. In the Marvel Comics universe, Wolverine's claws are made from this metal that was also used to reinforce his skeleton.

answer: adamantium (do not accept or prompt on "vibranium")

B. In The Hobbit, Thorin Oakenshield gives Bilbo Baggins a mail shirt made out of this strong, priceless metal that was mined in Moria.

answer: mithril

C. In the Star Wars expanded universe, this energy-resistant ore has the ability to block lightsabers.

answer: cortosis (ore)
adamantium: 66 rooms out of 83
mithril: 47 rooms out of 83
cortosis: 5 rooms out of 83
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

A_Failure wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 pmI would like to see the conversion data on the Carmen and Puccini bonuses when that becomes available. Both of those felt much easier than a nationals playoff bonus should be.
Round 22:

Carmen/Don Jose: 16 rooms out of 48
Escamillo: 31 rooms out of 48
Georges Bizet: 48 rooms out of 48

Round 25:

Madame Butterfly: 14 rooms out of 15
Puccini: 15 rooms out of 15
La boheme: 5 rooms out of 15

(Please note that HSNCT does not currently distinguish between "prelim difficulty" and "playoff difficulty" - so it's normal and expected that teams advancing late into the playoffs will have good conversion stats on a bonus part intended to be "easy" for the entirety of the 300+ team field.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Jasconius
Lulu

Post by Jasconius »

Could you post conversion stats on the transformers tossups and the bonus on London taxi drivers?
Matthew Siff
Georgetown Day School '20
Yale University '25
Important Bird Area

Transformer: 3/23/15 in 27 rooms

London taxi bonus:

black cab: 56 out of 84 rooms
The Knowledge: 9 out of 84 rooms
hippocampus: 65 out of 84 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Jeje Lalpekhlua
Lulu

Post by Jeje Lalpekhlua »

Could you post conversion stats on "Ivory Coast", "Mutiny on the HMS Bounty", and the geography bonus on the Azores/Canary Islands (Rd 1 or 2 I think)
Abhinav Karthikeyan (he/him/his)
Richard Montgomery HS '21
Yale '25
Jeje Lalpekhlua
Lulu

Post by Jeje Lalpekhlua »

Were there any tossups on “Arthur Miller” or “Phillip Roth” and if there were could you post them? Thanks!
Abhinav Karthikeyan (he/him/his)
Richard Montgomery HS '21
Yale '25
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

Can I see the conversion stats for the "Mexico" question in Round 5 and the Robinson question in round 1?
Important Bird Area

Rocket21 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 am Could you post conversion stats on "Ivory Coast", "Mutiny on the HMS Bounty", and the geography bonus on the Azores/Canary Islands (Rd 1 or 2 I think)
Ivory Coast: 19/42/14 in 83 rooms
Mutiny on the Bounty: 10/54/11 in 83 rooms
bonus part on the Canary Islands: 43 out of 83 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

whatamidoinghere wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am Can I see the conversion stats for the "Mexico" question in Round 5 and the Robinson question in round 1?
E. A. Robinson: 9/52/2 in 83 rooms

I'm not finding a tossup with answer _Mexico_ in round 5; there's a tossup there on the Battle of Puebla. Let me know if that's what you'd like to see stats for.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Rocket21 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am Were there any tossups on “Arthur Miller” or “Phillip Roth” and if there were could you post them? Thanks!
Neither of these was a tossup answer in the 2019 HSNCT (there was a Roth bonus and a tossup on John Proctor from The Crucible).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

Important Bird Area wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 pm
whatamidoinghere wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am Can I see the conversion stats for the "Mexico" question in Round 5 and the Robinson question in round 1?

I'm not finding a tossup with answer _Mexico_ in round 5; there's a tossup there on the Battle of Puebla. Let me know if that's what you'd like to see stats for.
Tossup 2 of Round 5 was a literature tossup on Mexico (right after the Battle of Puebla tu, which seems less than ideal to me).
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

Can we see the conversion stats for the Jonas Brothers bonus in round 7? (it was the first bonus)
Important Bird Area

A_Failure wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:14 pm
Important Bird Area wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Tossup 2 of Round 5 was a literature tossup on Mexico (right after the Battle of Puebla tu, which seems less than ideal to me).
Oh, right- we ended up moving this tossup because of that suboptimal pairing.

Mexico in literature: 11/72/10 in 84 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

whatamidoinghere wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:24 pm Can we see the conversion stats for the Jonas Brothers bonus in round 7? (it was the first bonus)
Vampire Weekend: 20 out of 84 rooms
Joe Jonas: 60 out of 84 rooms
Oxford Comma: 23 out of 84 rooms
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

Could I please see conversion stats for the Joni Mitchell and empress tossups? Both were somewhere in rounds 1-7.

EDIT: The one on the album Reputation as well, if it’s not too much trouble
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22