Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2019-2020

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
No1AtBeingMediocore
Lulu

Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2019-2020

Post by No1AtBeingMediocore »

(I know this is generally posted in late July, but since nationals are over and DCC's Quiz Camp is around the corner, why wait until then?)

I figured I might as well start here. As one of the few Northern Michigan Quizbowl players on here, I figured I might as well provide my perspective on a few things.

State of the Team: We will have a strong, balanced team centered around some experienced Seniors, which should help our win rates. Time will tell if this proves to be the case

Northern Michigan League/TCC Invitational: I've received no indications of these not happening, so feel free to consider joining if you would like.

Quiz Central/High School Bowl: Could be some interesting seasons, with most likely some debuting teams (Will be discussed as the episodes air).

The State of Northern Michigan QB: Getting more and more exposure by the year, but still an Archipelago (as it is in many areas).

Scheduele (As I know right now):
Mid Oct-Northern Michigan League
Oct 12- Jan Rademacher Memorial Tournament
Early Nov- Start of WNMU High School Bowl (Airings)
Dec 7- Swim'n'win invitational
Early Jan-Start of WCMU Quiz Central (Airings, tapings start September)
Last edited by No1AtBeingMediocore on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alex Olin
Traverse City Central '20
My best match
Good at everything that isn't art
mjoy
Lulu

Re: Michigan Discussion and Scheduele 2019-2020

Post by mjoy »

To travel even further north, the teams at Northern Michigan University and Michigan Tech will each very likely be hosting at least one high school tournament. The UP circuit is pretty healthy, with about 40 schools still participating in WNMU's High School Bowl. Unfortunately, that's a single-elimination tournament, which is why we're happy to offer schools more opportunities to play matches, even if they lose during round one on the TV show.

And, of course, we're always looking for new players! The NMU team has nearly doubled in size; we now have around 20 active members. Contact me ([email protected]) if you'd like to learn more.
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
No1AtBeingMediocore
Lulu

Update:

DCC's QB camp is to be held Friday, August 3, and Saturday, August 4, more here.

In addition, I've realized that WNMU high School Bowl starts early NOVEMBER, as opposed to early October. Fixed. :oops:
Alex Olin
My best match
CGismondiCC
Wakka

Post by CGismondiCC »

Thanks for posting about our camp. It’s actually Friday, August 2nd and Saturday, August 3rd, and the website reflects the correct dates now.

Cost of the camp is $55 for two days running from 9am until approximately 1pm. The camp is open to anyone in middle school, and any inexperienced high school students.

This year our course offerings will be: Civil War, Famous Battles, Astronomy, Biology, and a Literature Survey.

We will also have some individual subject-area tournaments, team scrimmages, and an overall individual tournament.

Here is the link to the registration page: https://www.catholiccentral.net/summer-camps
Christopher J. Gismondi, Detroit Catholic Catholic Central Head Coach
geo20
Kimahri

Post by geo20 »

Though I highly doubt that there are other Yoopers here, here's this season of High School Bowl's tournament bracket with filming dates.
Last edited by geo20 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Manson, Houghton High School 2020, UMich 2024
Woody
Lulu

Re: Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2019-2020

Post by Woody »

Will this be the year that DeWitt unseats DCC as undisputed champions of Michigan? ...Probably not
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
No1AtBeingMediocore
Lulu

Added White Cloud's Jan Rademacher Memorial tournament to the listings (and I can confirm our intent to enter).
Woody wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:01 pm Will this be the year that DeWitt unseats DCC as undisputed champions of Michigan? ...Probably not
Well to be fair, they have dominated since High School Quiz Bowl began
Alex Olin
My best match
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

geo20 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:51 pm Though I highly doubt that there are other Yoopers here, here's this season of High School Bowl's tournament bracket with airing dates.
Well, I've only been living here 13 years so I don't count as a Yooper. But NMU has a team! (See my post, above.) Good luck to your team in HSB, and if you want to keep playing in college, consider joining us over here in Marquette!
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
geo20
Kimahri

Post by geo20 »

Well, now that the episodes have finally aired since they were filmed over two months ago, congratulations to Calumet High School for being this year's WNMU-TV's High School Bowl champions!
George Manson, Houghton High School 2020, UMich 2024