2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
Post Reply
rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I am delighted to announce that the 2019 iteration of ACF Fall will take place on November 2, 2019.

The tournament will be edited by Ganon Evans, Justin French, Halle Friedman, Katherine Lei, Caroline Mao, Ben Miller, Tracy Mirkin, Clark Smith, and Kevin Yu. I, Rahul Keyal, will be overseeing set production with assistance from Rohin Devanathan and various ACF members.

Registration

Teams may register for ACF Fall by filling out this form.

Fees

The fee structure will be as laid out in ACF’s revised hosting guidelines:

Base fee: $150
New to quizbowl discount: –$100
Shorthanded discount (1-2 players): –$75
Buzzers: –$10 per functional system
Staffers: –$15 per staffer with functional laptop
Travel: –$10 per 200 miles traveled one-way

The "New to quizbowl" discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2018, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Host sites will bill teams as soon as possible after the teams register. Teams should pay their host sites by whatever method is convenient for the hosts, who will in turn pay ACF by check, bank transfer, cash, or by PayPal for an additional fee.

The fee structure will likely differ for teams attending sites outside of the United States, and will be determined by ACF and the host sites by August 24.

Packet submission

Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2018, is required to submit a half-packet, unless it is a high school team attending a high-school-only mirror. If you are unsure whether your team is required to submit a half-packet, please email us at fall@acf-quizbowl.com.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT SCT (Division I or Division II), NAQT ICT, and typical college-level academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Pop culture or “hybrid” tournaments, HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT’s Collegiate Novice series sets do not.

The submission schedule is as follows (your submission must be sent to fall@acf-quizbowl.com by 11:59 PM PDT):

September 7: –$30
September 21: –$15 (–$30 if optional)
October 5: no penalty (–$15 if optional)
October 12: +$25
October 19: +$50
Packets submitted later than October 20 will receive an additional penalty of +$10 per day starting on October 21.

The submission discounts and penalties – but not the schedule – will likely differ for teams attending sites outside of the United States, and will be determined by ACF and the host sites by August 24.

If your team is obligated to submit a half-packet or wishes to do so, email fall@acf-quizbowl.com to request a 12/12 distribution. It's never too early to start writing!

Please review ACF's packet submission guidelines.

A few additional submission guidelines (adapted from Jonathan Magin's terrific post):

- Answerlines should generally emphasize playability over creativity - try to aim for creative and interesting clues with straightforward answerlines.
- Late clues / giveaways and easy/medium parts of bonuses should aim to cover high school subject matter.

Hosting

If you are interested in hosting a mirror of ACF Fall, please contact ACF’s Mirror Coordinator, Alex Damisch, at hosting@acf-quizbowl.com. Hosts will be expected to abide by ACF’s Hosting Guidelines, which have been extensively revised for 2019–2020.

ACF intends to mirror ACF Fall in the following regions:

Upstate NY: Rochester Tech
Northeast: Yale
Upper Mid-Atlantic: Maryland
Lower Mid-Atlantic: Duke
Southeast: Georgia Tech (on November 3rd)
Florida: Florida
Great Lakes: Ohio State
Upper Midwest: Chicago
Lower Midwest: Missouri
North: Minnesota
South Central: Texas-Austin
Mountain West: Colorado
Northern California: California-Berkeley
Southern California: California-Los Angeles
Northwest: Washington
Eastern Canada: Carleton University
United Kingdom:
Asia: Yale-NUS

We are still working to finalize a site in the United Kingdom.

High-school-only sites:

University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
University of Chicago (Chicago, IL)

Fields for each site can be found here.

High school teams and high-school-only mirrors

In order to encourage growth in small circuits that would benefit from a larger field, ACF will allow high school teams to attend select collegiate mirrors of ACF Fall. Collegiate hosts interested in having high school teams attend their mirror should contact hosting@acf-quizbowl.com to apply for an exemption. If this exemption is granted, hosts will work with the ACF mirror coordinator to assess high school teams’ requests to play the tournament on a case-by-case basis. This policy is not intended to let strong high school teams play against new collegiate teams, but rather to strengthen small collegiate circuits that would benefit from a larger field with local high school teams of comparable strength.

The following sites have been granted this exemption:

Northwest: Washington
Asia: Yale-NUS

ACF is also willing to provide the set for high-school-only tournaments. Those interested in hosting a high-school-only mirror of 2019 ACF Fall should express interest by email to hosting@acf-quizbowl.com.

ACF will not delay the discussion or public availability of ACF Fall questions after the weekend of November 2. High school sites are welcome to express interest in holding mirrors on other dates, but they do so at their own question security risk.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please forward them to fall@acf-quizbowl.com.

List of submitted packets:

by September 7th
-$30
Delaware
Lawrence A
McMaster A
NYU A
NYU B

by September 21st
-$15 (-$30 if optional)
Cambridge A
DePaul A
Florida A
Georgia Tech A
Georgia Tech B
Michigan A
MSU A
Purdue C
Rochester A
Rutgers A
Rutgers B
UCSD A
UCSD B
UGA A
Vanderbilt A
Vanderbilt B
Vanderbilt C
Wright State A

by October 5th
+$0 (-$15 if optional)
Boise State A
Bowdoin
Claremont Colleges A
Duke A
Duke B
Grinnell
Iowa
Kansas State A
Liberty A
Liberty B
Millersville
MSU B
Notre Dame A
Penn State A
Purdue B
Rice A
Rice B
UBC A
UNC A
Virginia Tech A
Waterloo A

by October 12th
+$25
Auburn A
Cornell A
MIT A
Oxford A
Penn State C
Wesleyan
Last edited by rahulkeyal on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 39 times in total.
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

User avatar
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by Aaron's Rod » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 pm

I've split the discussion of packet-submission at 2019 ACF Fall to a Collegiate Discussion thread.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto

Goofy Evanescence Vine
Lulu
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by Goofy Evanescence Vine » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:54 pm

rahulkeyal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:12 pm
ACF will not delay the discussion or public availability of ACF Fall questions after the weekend of November 2. High school sites are welcome to express interest in holding mirrors on other dates, but they do so at their own question security risk.
Does this include possible mirrors after November 2? Hosting any kind of serious tournament (especially a high school tournament) on clear questions seems like a bad idea.
James Malouf
La Jolla '17
UC Berkeley '21

User avatar
Cherrybell Miramonte
Lulu
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by Cherrybell Miramonte » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Goofy Evanescence Vine wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:54 pm
rahulkeyal wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:12 pm
ACF will not delay the discussion or public availability of ACF Fall questions after the weekend of November 2. High school sites are welcome to express interest in holding mirrors on other dates, but they do so at their own question security risk.
Does this include possible mirrors after November 2? Hosting any kind of serious tournament (especially a high school tournament) on clear questions seems like a bad idea.
yea would appreciate clarification on this, because if that's the case then what the fuck, that's an insanely terrible idea
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:05 pm

ACF has not allowed, and will not allow, its questions to be used for formal high school tournaments after they are clear. That clause is there because ACF questions are often used for other purposes, including NASAT tryouts, at a time after they have been released. We included it to notify community members seeking to use our questions after that date that security cannot be guaranteed, and high schoolers playing the questions will have to do so on the honor system.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 am

Registration for 2019 ACF Fall has opened! We are still working to finalize sites in the Mid-Atlantic, Southern California, and the United Kingdom.
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

High Dependency Unit
Rikku
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by High Dependency Unit » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 am

rahulkeyal wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 am
Registration for 2019 ACF Fall has opened! We are still working to finalize sites in the Mid-Atlantic, Southern California, and the United Kingdom.
What about New England?

EDIT: Never mind, it's on the form.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
NHBB Regional Coordinator
www.ctquizbowl.org

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:12 pm

High Dependency Unit wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 am
rahulkeyal wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 am
Registration for 2019 ACF Fall has opened! We are still working to finalize sites in the Mid-Atlantic, Southern California, and the United Kingdom.
What about New England?

EDIT: Never mind, it's on the form.
My bad, I've added Yale to the initial post. In addition, we've confirmed our Mid-Atlantic sites (Maryland and Duke).

EDIT: I realized I also originally missed that we've divided the Midwest into an upper site (Chicago) and a lower site (Missouri). This has been amended on both the registration form and the announcement.
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm pleased to announce that we've secured high-school-only mirrors of ACF Fall at the University of California - Berkeley and University of Chicago!
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi all,

As we make some changes to our G Suite account, please email inquiries about Fall to alexandra dot damisch at gmail dot com and rahulkeyal at gmail dot com, instead of their respective ACF addresses.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:20 pm

The King's Flight to the Scots wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 pm
Hi all,

As we make some changes to our G Suite account, please email inquiries about Fall to alexandra dot damisch at gmail dot com and rahulkeyal at gmail dot com, instead of their respective ACF addresses.
We're done making changes, and you can now email us at the regular ACF addresses listed on our site.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Reminder that the first packet deadline is coming up this Saturday (at 11:59 PM PDT). If your team is required to write a packet but hasn't requested a half-packet distribution yet, I recommend doing so promptly.
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

User avatar
1.82
Rikku
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm
Location: Atlanta area
Contact:

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by 1.82 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Why do teams playing all other mirrors of ACF Fall have to pay $20 more than teams playing the Los Angeles mirror?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 pm

1.82 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Why do teams playing all other mirrors of ACF Fall have to pay $20 more than teams playing the Los Angeles mirror?
The Southern California circuit petitioned us for a discount, providing an explanation of why their circuit had particular needs that other circuits did not.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

User avatar
1.82
Rikku
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm
Location: Atlanta area
Contact:

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by 1.82 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

The King's Flight to the Scots wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 pm
1.82 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Why do teams playing all other mirrors of ACF Fall have to pay $20 more than teams playing the Los Angeles mirror?
The Southern California circuit petitioned us for a discount, providing an explanation of why their circuit had particular needs that other circuits did not.
What is the process for such a petition? I don't see any process or ability to petition listed anywhere; the announcement notes that fees, discounts, and penalties are subject to change for teams outside the United States, but does not give any indication that this would be the case within the United States. What exactly are the particular needs that led to this discount being granted? I think it's important that other teams know this, since there are plenty of programs in other parts of the country that have financial need (or, presumably, whatever other reason it is that fees are being lowered here, since we have no way of knowing currently) and I am sure that they would also like to pay less money.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17

User avatar
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:30 pm

1.82 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm
The King's Flight to the Scots wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 pm
1.82 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Why do teams playing all other mirrors of ACF Fall have to pay $20 more than teams playing the Los Angeles mirror?
The Southern California circuit petitioned us for a discount, providing an explanation of why their circuit had particular needs that other circuits did not.
What is the process for such a petition? I don't see any process or ability to petition listed anywhere; the announcement notes that fees, discounts, and penalties are subject to change for teams outside the United States, but does not give any indication that this would be the case within the United States. What exactly are the particular needs that led to this discount being granted? I think it's important that other teams know this, since there are plenty of programs in other parts of the country that have financial need (or, presumably, whatever other reason it is that fees are being lowered here, since we have no way of knowing currently) and I am sure that they would also like to pay less money.
After discussions with UCLA and other teams in the SoCal circuit, we determined that a significant number of clubs in that area would not be able to afford the normal price. We therefore offered them a $20 discount off the normal entry fee, of which $10 would come from ACF and $10 would come out of UCLA's hosting fee. Other hosts that would like to discuss the needs of their circuits can contact mirror coordinator Alex Damisch by emailing hosting at acf-quizbowl dot com.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 pm

The initial post has been updated with the list of submissions received by September 21st. We've also secured an additional site in the Northeast at RIT.
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

User avatar
CPiGuy
Tidus
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by CPiGuy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 pm

rahulkeyal wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 pm
The initial post has been updated with the list of submissions received by September 21st. We've also secured an additional site in the Northeast at RIT.
Michigan's submission appears not to be in the list, despite our having received an email to the effect that it has been received. I assume we were just omitted in error but wanted to check.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:09 am

CPiGuy wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:36 pm
rahulkeyal wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 pm
The initial post has been updated with the list of submissions received by September 21st. We've also secured an additional site in the Northeast at RIT.
Michigan's submission appears not to be in the list, despite our having received an email to the effect that it has been received. I assume we were just omitted in error but wanted to check.
This has been amended. In the future, I'd recommend just shooting me an email!
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

rahulkeyal
Lulu
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 am

Re: 2019 ACF Fall Global Announcement: November 2, 2019

Post by rahulkeyal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:27 pm

We are very excited to announce that, for the first time ever, there will be a mirror of ACF Fall in Asia, to be held at the Yale-NUS College in Singapore. More information can be found here.

As a reminder, today is also the +$25 deadline for half-packet submissions!
Rahul Keyal
Westview '17
Berkeley '21

Post Reply