2019 EFT @ MSU (10/12/19)

Old college threads.
eiriksmal
Lulu

2019 EFT @ MSU (10/12/19)

Post by eiriksmal »

Hey everybody! Michigan State University’s Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes mirror of the 2019 Early Fall Tournament (EFT) which will take place on October 12th, 2019.

The tournament will be held in Berkey Hall (509 E Circle Dr, East Lansing, MI 48824) on MSU’s campus. The tournament will start promptly at 9:00AM, and we ask that teams arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 to check-in. We recommend that teams park in Ramp #6 (Grand River), which has entrances on eastbound Grand River Ave. and West Circle Dr. Parking in Ramp 6 is FREE on Saturdays.
Here is a campus map indicating the locations of Berkey Hall and Ramp 6.

2019 EFT has been rated at two stars (“regular minus”) on the set difficulty scale. You can find more information about the particulars of the set (writers, editors, distribution) on the global announcement.

Fees and Registration:
The base fee for EFT @ MSU will be $125 per team, with the following discounts:
-$5 per working buzzer set indicated on your registration
-$10 per staffer
-$10 per 200 miles traveled as measured by Google Maps
-$45 if your team has not attended a non-novice tournament since August 1, 2018
The minimum fee for each team is $45.

You can register for EFT @ MSU by sending an email with the following information to [email protected] with the subject line “[your school’s name] EFT Registration”:
- School name
- Number of teams
- Number of staffers/buzzers you intend to bring
- Contact information (email and phone number) for one individual who will be attending the tournament

Payment can be made in the form of a check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club” or in cash on the day of the tournament.

The initial field cap for EFT @ MSU will be set at 16 teams, which may be expanded depending on interest and the availability of staffers.

If you have any questions about EFT @ MSU please feel free to email us at [email protected] .
We look forward to seeing you all in October!
Erik Bubolz
Okemos '16
Michigan State University '20
Michigan(?) '23
eiriksmal
Lulu

Re: 2019 EFT @ MSU (10/12/19)

Post by eiriksmal »

Field Update as of 10/10:
School (# of teams/# of buzzers)

Miami Valley (1/0)
Wayne State (1/0)
Michigan (4/4)
Chicago (1/0)
Michigan State (1/many)

If you tried to register for EFT @ MSU and do not see your team here or the information regarding the number of teams/buzzers you are bringing is incorrect please let us know ASAP.
Erik Bubolz
Okemos '16
Michigan(?) '23
halle
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by halle »

This tournament was really fun and well run, and I'm really glad I went! All of the readers were competent, and the tournament ran efficiently and without any confusion. The one exception the tournament's running smoothly was, in fact, not at all the fault of the MSU club, but was due to Wayne State's team deciding to leave before playoffs. This resulted in the three other teams in their bracket only getting two playoff games, instead of three, and is a case of incredibly bad sportsmanship on the part of Wayne State! If there was an extenuating circumstance that I am unaware of that forced the team to leave, that would be perfectly understandable, but given that some members of the team were openly discussing not wanting to bother coming back and finishing the tournament after lunch during my game against them (as well as directing some other slightly hostile commentary my way while we were playing), it does not seem like this was a case of an emergency. In any case, I don't know who on the team was responsible for the decision to leave, and if it was just one or two people then I don't hold their teammates accountable for that, much less any other members of the club who might not have come to this tournament. But bailing early because you're not having fun, and spoiling some of the fun for the rest of the teams, is a highly immature move, and, in my opinion, should not go without comment (hence this post).
Halle Friedman
Chicago 2020
NYU 2023
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I was about to make a post about the same thing, Halle, so I'll just add my voice to the "don't leave things early" chorus.

Thanks to MSU for a well-run tournament (and for handling this issue smoothly)!
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
eiriksmal
Lulu

Post by eiriksmal »

Thank you to all the teams that attended EFT @ MSU yesterday. I also like to thank the teams who lost the opportunity to play an additional game in the playoffs due to the issues mentioned by Conor and Halle for being such good sports, and I'm sorry that those issues occurred.

Congratulations to Michigan A for winning the event! Michigan A defeated Miami Valley (HS) in a riveting one game final to win the tournament! I'd also like to congratulate Halle for leading all scorers in the preliminary rounds!

The stats have been uploaded to the tournament entry for this event: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5974/
Erik Bubolz
Okemos '16
Michigan(?) '23