Michigan Winter Tournament (MWT) @ Auburn- 1/18/20

Old college threads.
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Michigan Winter Tournament (MWT) @ Auburn- 1/18/20

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

I am pleased to announce that Auburn University will be hosting the Southeast mirror of the Michigan Winter Tournament on Saturday, January 18, 2020. The tournament will be hosted on the Auburn University campus in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). This is a closed tournament, but high schools may play. I will be the tournament director for this tournament.

The tournament's main announcement can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22581. MWT aims to be medium difficulty, similar to the difficulty of past EFTs and easier than ACF Regionals. Notably, the tournament will feature packets of 22 tossups and 22 bonuses, all of which will be read. Also, I am editing the visual arts for this tournament, so it would be super cool if lots of teams came to play.

LOCATION, PARKING, TIME:
This tournament will take place in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). Parking on campus is free on weekends. Park in the stadium deck across from the football stadium and follow Heisman Drive to the Haley Center. It is old, tall, and brick.

On the day of the tournament, teams should arrive between 8:15-8:40. We will start at 9:00.

FIELD:
For now, I'm going to cap the field for this tournament at 12 teams. I'll try my best to expand if there's more interest.

FEES:
$120 base fee
-$5 per working buzzer (max 2 per team)
PLEASE BRING YOUR BUZZERS!
-$20 per competent staffer (as determined by me)
-$10 per 200 miles traveled one way from your school to Auburn University as determined by Google Maps.

To register, please email me at [email protected] and indicate the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you'll be bringing.

PAYMENT:
We can accept cash/checks on the day of the tournament. Please make checks out to "Auburn Quiz Bowl" and not me personally/the university.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Michigan Winter Tournament (MWT) @ Auburn- 1/18/20

Field update:
Alabama (2/1/0)
Auburn (1/1/many)
Bevill State (1/2/1)
Clemson (2/2/2)
Florida (4/2/0 [nice])
Georgia Tech (1/1/0)
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Logistics email for this event that I just sent out, in case anyone did not get it:

Hello all,

If you're receiving this email, you are registered for MWT @ Auburn this Saturday, 1/18. If this is no longer the case, please let me know ASAP. This includes if the number of teams, staffers, etc. that your club is bringing has changed.

Please arrive in Haley Center 3345 (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849) by 8:40 AM at the latest. Please note that Auburn is in the Central time zone! We aim to start promptly at 9:00, especially with more questions per round. Please bring payment with you the morning of the event (in cash or check made out to "Auburn Quiz Bowl"), as teams will not be allowed to play without paying.

The field for the event is as follow (# of teams/# of buzzers/#of staffers):
Alabama (2/1/0)
Auburn (1/1/many)
Bevill State (1/2/1)
Clemson (2/2/2)
Florida (4/2/0)
Georgia Tech (1/1/0)

With 11 teams, we will play a round robin, followed by an advantaged final if necessary, meaning teams will play 10 games in 11 rounds. As a reminder (I will remind teams and staffers the morning of as well), MWT is written as 22/22 per packet, meaning teams will play all 22 tossups and up to 22 bonuses per round. Rosters ahead of time would be helpful if possible.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Crazy Khan Tech
Wakka

Post by Crazy Khan Tech »

Over 25% of the field (Clemson A, Clemson B, and Bevill State) have left the tournament early. Their choice to leave threw the tournament into temporary disarray.

I would urge the Clemson and Bevill programs to consider the impact their actions have on other competitors and to not leave early in the future.

Thank you to Auburn for hosting this tournament and I'm sorry factors outside of their control have affected it significantly.
Zach Knecht (he/him/his)

University of Michigan '25
University of Florida '21
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You're posting at 6:46 p.m. Teams were to be there at 8:40 a.m. At some point, it's not leaving early, it's just leaving.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Crazy Khan Tech
Wakka

Post by Crazy Khan Tech »

I posted at 5:46 local time, and the teams had left a decent time before that. One team left after lunch.
Zach Knecht (he/him/his)

University of Michigan '25
University of Florida '21
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

AKKOLADE wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:02 pm You're posting at 6:46 p.m. Teams were to be there at 8:40 a.m. At some point, it's not leaving early, it's just leaving.
What? Even if this were the case, that doesn't matter, it's still inappropriate to leave before the tournament is over unless you have immutable travel plans, and you shouldn't make immutable travel plans for a time when the tournament might still be going unless you have no other choice, and you should let the TD know in advance if so.

The suggestion that it's somehow alright to leave at 6:45pm, a time when it is in fact extremely reasonable for an 11-round college quizbowl tournament to still be happening, is pretty absurd.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

AKKOLADE wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:02 pm You're posting at 6:46 p.m. Teams were to be there at 8:40 a.m. At some point, it's not leaving early, it's just leaving.
Fred,

I like and respect you, and a lot of what you do. However, this is just not fair to Chandler and Auburn, considering the 3 teams left before 5 PM, which is ridiculous (barring an emergency of some kind). In short: this is advocating for things that are completely not cool to TDs/hosts, and I wish you would have asked for the facts before making this post.

EDIT: included some facts Chandler told me about when teams left.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I misunderstood the situation. My apologies.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator