Michigan State Quizbowl Championships (East Lansing AND Ann Arbor; 28 March 2020)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CPiGuy
Auron

Michigan State Quizbowl Championships (East Lansing AND Ann Arbor; 28 March 2020)

Post by CPiGuy »

The quizbowl teams at the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, in cooperation with the Michigan Quizbowl Coaches Association, are pleased to announce the 2020 Michigan State Quizbowl Championships will take place on Saturday, March 28, 2020. The event will comprise four separate tournaments, held across two campuses, on the same day.

Teams will compete in one of four classes (A, B, C, or D) based on their classification with the MHSAA, with the exception that all-boys and all-girls schools will not need to double their enrollment when determining their classification. (For example, an all-boys school with 600 students would ordinarily compete in Class A, being considered to have 1200 students for the purpose of athletic contests, but would compete in Class B here.) Homeschool collectives and schools not in the MHSAA will be asked to estimate their enrollment.

The Class A and C tournaments will be held at Michigan State University in East Lansing. The Class B and D tournaments will be held at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Eligibility and qualification

All Michigan high school teams who have either:
-- won a tournament or league featuring four or more teams from two or more schools, except for a tournament explicitly restricted to novice or JV teams, or
-- qualified for one of HSNCT, SSNCT, PACE NSC, or the NAC (in the latter case, by explicit qualification rather than receipt of a wildcard bid)
are automatically eligible.

Only one team per school can compete.

Teams who have not fulfilled the qualification requirements are also welcome to register, and will be added to the field if it's not full by the registration deadline (see "Registration" below).

Question set

We'll be using NAQT's IS-192.

Format and rules

Unlike past state championships run by the MSU honors college, but like most quizbowl tournaments, these tournaments will use a bracketed round-robin format. Teams will play a round-robin in preliminary pools, will be split into playoff brackets on the basis of their performance, and will play another round-robin (potentially carrying over games from the prelims). A final will be played as necessary.

The tournaments will begin at 9am; teams should expect to arrive by 8:30am and to play until 5pm or so.

Games will be untimed and read 20 tossups (and as many bonuses as the teams earn over those tossups). We will skip computational math tossups but not computational math bonuses, in accordance with NAQT's high school nationals format. We will use 5/5/5 timing rules. We will otherwise use NAQT's rules.

Fees

Base registration fee: $90
Buzzer discount: -$5 per functioning buzzer system
Staffer discount: -$10 per competent staffer provided

Registration and deadlines

Fulfilling one of the qualification requirements does not automatically constitute registration. In order to register for the tournament, you MUST fill out this registration form.

The initial field caps will be 24 in Classes A and B and 13 in Classes C and D. The registration deadline is 11:59 PM on Sunday, March 8th. After the deadline, wildcard teams -- who have not fulfilled the qualification requirements but still want to play -- will be added to the field in order of registration if it has not filled.

[Edit on March 9th: Some classes' fields have not filled. We still welcome registrations and will add newly registered teams to the fields in a first-come-first-served manner until they are full.]

Field updates

Fields as of 25 February, 4PM:

Class A (21)
Detroit Catholic Central
DeWitt
East Grand Rapids
Flushing
Hartland
Haslett
Holland
Holt
Huron (New Boston)
Kearsley
Livonia Churchill
Mount Pleasant
Okemos
Port Huron
Riverview
Roseville
Saline
Southgate Anderson
Sturgis
Troy
Woodhaven

Class B (20)
Berrien Springs
Chelsea
Cranbrook Kingswood
Detroit Country Day
Fennville
Flat Rock
Forest Hills Eastern
Fremont
Hamilton
Houghton
Ionia
Ludington
Manistee
Mercy
North Branch
Orchard View
Plainwell
Reed City
Spring Lake
West Catholic

Class C (13)
Bad Axe
Bridgman
Calumet
Kalamazoo Christian
Kent City
Lakeview
Monroe County Middle College
Pewamo-Westphalia
Roscommon
Sandusky
White Cloud
White Pigeon
Whitmore Lake

Class D (6)
Carsonville-Port Sanilac
Fulton
Hillsdale Academy
Peck
Roeper
Sacred Heart Mt. Pleasant

Field map.

We are excited to continue the long tradition of the Michigan state championship tournaments, and we look forward to seeing the state's finest teams in East Lansing and Ann Arbor at the end of March!
Last edited by CPiGuy on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 am, edited 29 times in total.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Michigan State Quizbowl Championships (East Lansing AND Ann Arbor; 28 March 2020)

Post by Cheynem »

I'm glad Michigan/Michigan State has come together on this and that this tournament will (basically) be continuing.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Michigan State Quizbowl Championships (East Lansing AND Ann Arbor; 28 March 2020)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 pm I'm glad Michigan/Michigan State has come together on this and that this tournament will (basically) be continuing.
Strong agree. It's awesome Michigan and Michigan State worked this out and continued an idea I had for four years. This is also taking place on my birthday funnily enough.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Cheynem wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 pm I'm glad Michigan/Michigan State has come together on this and that this tournament will (basically) be continuing.
Hopefully both continuing and improving! I'm very excited we were able to settle on a format that will dramatically increase the number of games each team will get to play
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Update: This tournament will use NAQT's IS-192.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Perialasj
Kimahri

Post by Perialasj »

Hi Connor, are there any updates to teams that have registered since the original post? We're in Class C, and I'm concerned about reaching the cap for both class C and Class D. (not enough teams)
Also, how will we handle the registration fees? It may have been mentioned in the original registration, but I missed it. Do we make checks out to the respective quiz bowl teams at MSU and UM? Or another method? Thanks- Jim Perialas, Roscommon High
Jim Perialas
Roscommon High
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Perialasj wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm Hi Connor, are there any updates to teams that have registered since the original post? We're in Class C, and I'm concerned about reaching the cap for both class C and Class D. (not enough teams)
Also, how will we handle the registration fees? It may have been mentioned in the original registration, but I missed it. Do we make checks out to the respective quiz bowl teams at MSU and UM? Or another method? Thanks- Jim Perialas, Roscommon High
Hi Jim!

I've updated the fields this afternoon; I've been doing so every few days and will continue to do so.

If the fields don't reach the cap, the tournaments will happen nonetheless; this is a maximum, not a minimum. We will probably also leave registration open should the field not be full even after adding wildcard teams. We'll also only draw up the schedules after we know how many teams will be playing.

You should make checks out to the respective clubs hosting your tournament, yes. Checks to us at U-M should be made out to "Michigan Academics Competition"; I'm not sure about MSU.

If you have any more questions, feel free to reach out further.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
eiriksmal
Lulu

Post by eiriksmal »

Perialasj wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm Hi Connor, are there any updates to teams that have registered since the original post? We're in Class C, and I'm concerned about reaching the cap for both class C and Class D. (not enough teams)

Hey guys!

Payment for teams attending the Michigan State site can be made via checks made out to "MSU Academic Competition Club".
Erik Bubolz
Okemos '16
Michigan State University '20
Michigan(?) '23
CalQuiz
Kimahri

Post by CalQuiz »

Hello,

I'm new to this (competing at states), so I'm not sure how to go about participating. I registered our team (Class C) on Saturday but received no confirmation... Should I have?

Thanks,
Dave Torola
Calumet High School Quiz Bowl
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

CalQuiz wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 am Hello,

I'm new to this (competing at states), so I'm not sure how to go about participating. I registered our team (Class C) on Saturday but received no confirmation... Should I have?

Thanks,
We're monitoring the registration sheet; the U-M and MSU clubs will contact the teams competing at their respective sites at a later date.

We did receive your registration.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
zcresswell
Kimahri

Post by zcresswell »

eiriksmal wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 pm
Hey guys!

Payment for teams attending the Michigan State site can be made via checks made out to "MSU Academic Competition Club".
Would it be possible to get an address for the Academic Competition Club? I need it to fill out the check request paperwork.

Thanks,

Zach Cresswell - Mt. Pleasant High School

User reminded to add signature -mgmt
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

The initial registration deadline has passed, and wildcard teams have been added to the field where applicable.

There is still space in Classes A, B, and D; teams who register will be added to the field on a first-come-first-served basis. The U-M and MSU clubs reserve the right to set a final registration deadline and will communicate that if and when it is decided.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

As a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, it will not be feasible or responsible to host this tournament on the planned date.

We would like to tentatively postpone this tournament to May 30, assuming that conditions permit such an event to go on. MSU and U-M will likely be unable to host on that date (not because of the virus but because we're out of school); we are therefore actively soliciting potential hosts. Classes A/C and B/D need not take place in the same location.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that everyone is doing what they can to stay safe and flatten the curve.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Conceivably, all of the classes could take place at one location or four separate locations for each class right?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Cheynem wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:54 pm Conceivably, all of the classes could take place at one location or four separate locations for each class right?
Correct. I do think it's unlikely that there'll be a site capable of hosting 60+ teams, though.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16