LIT Discord Mirror (03/08/2020)

Old college threads.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

LIT Discord Mirror (03/08/2020)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the online open Discord mirror of Longhorn Invitational Tournament (LIT 2020) on Sunday, March 8th, 2020.

We are going to have an initial soft cap of 8 teams for this mirror, which may expand based on interest and staff.

Schedule
The tournament will begin at 9am central time (10am East coast, 7am west coast). Links to the private discord will be sent in the days leading up to the tournament.

Eligibility
This is an open tournament; however, active college and high schools players are encouraged to play this at an in-person mirror if at all possible. The intent of this mirror is to gain feedback on the set though, and discounts will be offered based on providing feedback.

Fees
Base Fee: $80
$20 discount if at least one member of the team agrees to fill out a survey or provide otherwise substantive feedback on the set.

Staff
Staff will be provided by members of UT's club; however, any interested volunteers are welcomed to reach out to me as well.

Registration
To register for the tournament, send me an email at [email protected]. This email should include: the names of the players on your team, and whether or not you intent to claim the feedback discount.

Team Formation Spreadsheet:
A spreadsheet for team formation can be found here.

Field (0/8):
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: LIT Discord Mirror (03/08/2020)

Post by Mike Bentley »

I see on the spreadsheet that some teams have 5 players signed up. Is there a particular reason teams are more than 4 players? Discord tournaments already have overloaded fields.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Mike Bentley wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm I see on the spreadsheet that some teams have 5 players signed up. Is there a particular reason teams are more than 4 players? Discord tournaments already have overloaded fields.
Yeah, this is a good idea, in particular because we're not even at the first field cap, but can probably expand anyway if enough teams are interested. So for now I'll encourage teams of four or fewer.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Reminder that this tournament is this Sunday, and that there are currently several teams on the spreadsheet who have not yet registered with me. Several free agents are also still listed and I encourage those players to team up before Saturday; all free agents will be assigned to teams with fewer than 4 people on Saturday. Also we should have staff to handle it, so consider the team cap for this tournament to be 10 teams.
Ryan Humphrey
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

In case the TDs or staff don't have a lot of experience running a Discord tournament before, I'll plug my guide: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21446

And it's not too late for moderators to order cheap headsets on Amazon if they don't already have them. Or to plan to read from a location that has a good network connection. Those two things make a huge difference between a good and bad Discord tournament.
Mike Bentley
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Mike Bentley wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm In case the TDs or staff don't have a lot of experience running a Discord tournament before, I'll plug my guide: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21446

And it's not too late for moderators to order cheap headsets on Amazon if they don't already have them. Or to plan to read from a location that has a good network connection. Those two things make a huge difference between a good and bad Discord tournament.
Thanks Mike! We're working on getting the server set up now and are coordinating these things with our staffers, and this guide's definitely a great reference.
Ryan Humphrey
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

I'm going to be closing the field for this tournament tonight at midnight so that we can finalize our schedule and get everything set up in the discord server. Ideally remaining free agents will combine into an 8th team before this point, but I will assign free agents to teams with less than 4 as necessary after midnight. Similarly, two teams on the sheet currently haven't emailed me yet to officially register (Harvard and the Moses/Rahul/Alec/Sean team), please do that before midnight if you're still planning to play this!

All teams playing this tournament can expect a full logistics email tomorrow with a link to the discord server and all of the relevant information for Sunday.
Ryan Humphrey
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Congrats to Nerds (Aseem, Benji, Tejas, & Chris) for winning a one game final over Bentley et al. (Mike, Aayush, Kevin, Juliet)!

There are stats. Please let me know if there are any corrections.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks for running this! This was a fun set that teams should enjoy at in-person mirrors.
Mike Bentley
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

This was a lot of fun! Will packets be shared with teams that played that want to provide feedback?
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Taper or die. Can you do any less? wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 am This was a lot of fun! Will packets be shared with teams that played that want to provide feedback?
Hi Aayush, I'm really glad hear you and others enjoyed playing LIT's discord mirror! If anyone who played this mirror would like a copy of the set as read on Sunday to give feedback, please just send me a quick email ([email protected]) and I will send you a copy of the set. Thanks!
Ryan Humphrey