The Herb Brooks Memorial Packet

Old college threads.
meebles127
Tidus

The Herb Brooks Memorial Packet

Post by meebles127 »

As many of you know, I am somewhat obsessed with the 1980 US Men's Olympic Hockey team. As such, I've decided to write a 20 tossup packet on the team, titled "The Herb Brooks Memorial Packet" in honor of Herb Brooks. The packet will be hard but I'm trying my best to make the later clues accessible to those that haven't spent large chunks of their summer reading about the team. This is not a movie packet, while the movie Miracle is mostly accurate there are some minor inaccuracies and social interactions made up for the sake of Hollywood. However, in the name of accessibility, those that have seen the movie should be able to answer most, if not all, questions by the giveaway. I've come up with a variety of answer lines that I'm hoping people will find enjoyable.

Tossups will be written from books, newspaper articles, magazine articles, documentaries, game film, interviews, and other credible sources.

I'm planning on reading this in #packet of the main discord once it is completed. I'll post more information about when it will be read once I get close to having it complete. I am hoping to have this packet completed by the end of August.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Re: The Herb Brooks Memorial Packet

Post by meebles127 »

I've decided that due to school commitments that this packet will only be 10 tossups with an additional "bonus" question that will be read after the first ten. I will be reading this packet at 1400 UTC on Saturday, September 28th in #packet of the discord unless there are any major objections.
Em Gunter

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

I will be reading this packet again at 1600 ET on Sunday, October 27, barring any major objections.

As a reminder, this is not a movie packet. It is a packet about the happenings of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team. I have, however, made an effort to try to ensure that most TUs can be converted in the later portions by individuals who have seen the movie and paid attention.
Em Gunter

meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Em Gunter