MWT Online [Open, Tossups-Only] - 21 March 2020

Old college threads.
CPiGuy
Auron

MWT Online [Open, Tossups-Only] - 21 March 2020

Post by CPiGuy »

This is an announcement of an open, tossups-only online mirror of the Michigan Winter Tournament.

Eligibility
This tournament is completely open. Anyone with a Discord account and a brain who has not already played or staffed an in-person mirror of MWT or otherwise been exposed to its question content can play, and there are no restrictions on team composition. (Brain not actually required.)

We know that people might not have been expecting this to happen. If you want to play, but your friend told you about one really cool tossup they got because they thought you weren't going to be playing the set, let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Format
Matches will consist of 22 tossups and no bonuses. We hope that this will allow us to read almost all the packets and keep rounds from being an unpleasant slog, as well as making cheating harder. (Please don't perform any remarkable feats of malfeasance, though.)

Schedule
The tournament will start at 10AM Eastern / 7AM Pacific / calculate this for your own time zone. Tournament schedule will be dependent on number of teams.

Fees
The registration fee for this tournament will be $72 per team. Payment by Venmo or PayPal is strongly preferred.

Staff
If you would like to staff this tournament, let me know (and sign up on the spreadsheet). A significant proportion of the staffers will probably come from the writing and editing team, but if we need outside staffers we'll use them (and probably remunerate them).

Registration
You can sign up to play or staff here.

We know this is short notice and will consider a second mirror in April/May if there's still demand, but I want to give people something to do immediately, as I imagine most of your plans for next weekend have been cancelled.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: MWT Online [Open, Tossups-Only] - 21 March 2020

Post by CPiGuy »

I realized I was dumb and forgot to include a contact information field on the spreadsheet for free agents or staffers. I've added that.

Edit to add: If you're signing up to staff and are reasonably active on quizbowl Discord, I'm probably able to contact you anyway.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

In case people aren't aware: on Thursday night I'll be filling out teams with fewer than four players by adding free agents and/or making teams out of the remaining free agents. I will also be giving names to teams that don't have them at that point.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I've assigned the remaining free agents to teams.

The field now consists of 18 teams with exactly 4 players each. We will likely not expand the field unless there's demand for two more teams' worth.

Registered teams, and free agents / staffers who listed their emails, should have received a logistics email from me.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This tournament took place. There are staaaaaaaaaats.

Congrats to "#JeanneGangGang" for winning the tournament with an 11-2 overall record, and to Joseph Krol for top scoring.

Stats corrections and complaints can be directed to me.

Thanks to all the staffers for helping put on what I believe to have been the largest online tournament in quizbowl history (a record that is likely to last about a week, it seems).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

This was run well and efficiently, a feat all the more impressive given the size. Thanks a bunch to Conor and all of the staffers who helped make this happen.
Michael Z
NYU '13