Logical Fallacy

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Scipio
Wakka

Logical Fallacy

Post by Scipio »

[Dear Moderators: I am nearly one-hundred percent sure this post doesn't belong here, but I don't know where I would move it. Could you please relocate it for me?] [Sure, seems like fair game for off-topic --mods]

So, here's the deal: I have a relative who has this annoying tendency to try to win/end arguments by making a sweeping exaggeration designed to show the unfairness of an interlocutor's position, often claiming victimhood in the process. To give you an (actual, non made-up) example:

(You would need to understand that he is - of course - a Trump supporter) On a comment being made about the latest "Trump as Thanos meme that the Trump campaign put out: "Well, I think he’s just bragging and being out in the open about him being evil. I think the red gauntlet is a subtle wink at his masters in Russia ... Pretty inexcusable to not vet the memes first considering how much it will be scrutinized. The FBI is probably already opening up a new secret investigation seeing if he is working for Thanos"

Or, on the release of the articles of impeachment:
"I wonder if they are going to go after the death penalty for Trump ... Treason, high crimes, and misdemeanors. Y’all know when Pence’s trial starts yet?"

Or, during a debate on Facebook in which one of Trump's policies was being criticised: "I like his policy. But I guess I'm just Hitler."

Clearly there's a lot of dickishness there, but I was wondering if there is a specific fallacy for that; I mean, obviously there are elements of ignoratio elinchi and straw man, but is there a specific term for this?

Thanks;
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Re: Logical Fallacy

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

This is pretty clearly a straw man argument, in that it attempts to create a caricature of the opposing position in order to then attack the caricature by way of sarcasm or irony.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Re: Logical Fallacy

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

If these arguments are occurring online, the way to deal with them is simply to post a picture of Ray Bolger in response.
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-