Penn State SUN Online (4/11/2020)

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
ashkum
Lulu

Penn State SUN Online (4/11/2020)

Post by ashkum »

Penn State Quiz Bowl will host a mirror of SUN Online on April 11th, 2020. The initial field cap will be at 12 teams but may expand if there is interest.

Eligibility
We will initially be limiting registration to teams from Pennsylvania and surrounding states (OH, WV, MD, DE, NJ, and NY). We will maintain a waitlist of teams outside the previously mentioned region. If our field cap is not met by the registration deadline, we will accept teams on that waitlist.

Since this is a collegiate tournament, high school teams will not be allowed to participate. Chimera or open teams will also not be able to participate. The difficulty of SUN is comparable to ACF Fall, so when sending rosters, please keep in mind that your rosters should be acceptable at an ACF Fall event.

Registration
To register for the tournament, please fill out this google form. Teams that bring tournament staff will be given a discount to their registration fee. The deadline to register is April 9th at 11:59 PM.

Teams may have a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 6 players per registered team, although up to 4 players may play at one time. Schools can bring as many teams as they like, but if a school is bringing more than six players, then they must split into two teams.

Fee Structure
$90 for a school’s first registered team
$80 per subsequent team
-$20 per staff member a school brings
-$20 per team for any school that has not competed in a pyramidal quizbowl tournament in the past three years

All teams must pay before the day of the tournament. The minimum fee is $40 per team.

Payment
Payments can be made via Venmo or a mailed check. Please Venmo our Treasurer, Tatyana Zvorsky, using her Venmo handle @Tatyana-Zvorsky. If you would prefer a mailed check, please contact me for a mailing address.

Any questions can be forwarded to me at [email protected]. We hope to see you at our mirror!
Ashish Kumbhardare

Henderson '16
Penn State '20

ashkum
Lulu

Re: Penn State SUN Online (4/11/2020)

Post by ashkum »

Field (Teams/Moderators)

Delaware (1/1)
North Carolina (1/0)
Penn (2/0)
Pitt (2/0)
Rutgers (2/0)
Swarthmore (1/0)
West Chester (1/0)

Total (10/1)

Last Updated on April 10th
Ashish Kumbhardare

Henderson '16
Penn State '20

jameshadleyg
Lulu

Re: Penn State SUN Online (4/11/2020)

Post by jameshadleyg »

I’d like to thank Ashish and the team at Penn State + all staffers involved for hosting this tournament through these difficult times. Although I understand that the definition of novice is variable and eligibility restrictions were simply suggested and up to the TD, I have to admit I’m a little dismayed by the choices some of the participating schools made regarding rosters. I’m very proud of the performances of each of my teammates, and from what I’ve heard, the tournament was generally a fun experience for them. I just hope that in the future, teams consider the benefit to be gained for each of the players they send to play novice tournaments and how their choice of roster might affect the experiences of both their own teammates as well as players on other teams in what was intended by the authors as a tournament for college players with limited quizbowl experience. Again, I'm very grateful towards those who ran this tournament for providing something for my teammates to play despite the current situation.
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University [2018-present]