Terrapin Open Discord Mirror (3/28 - 3/29)

Old college threads.
Noble Rot
Lulu

Terrapin Open Discord Mirror (3/28 - 3/29)

Post by Noble Rot »

Thus is the announcement for the Discord mirror of Terrapin Open which will take place over Saturday, March 28th and Sunday March 29th, 2020

Logistics: We will be reading both tossups and bonuses - as such, we'll be splitting the tournament over two days.We will play between 7 and 10 rounds on Saturday (the exact number is still a bit up in the air, at the moment), and finish the rest of the rounds on Sunday playing finals as needed.
The tournament will begin at 10:00 am EST. Please be on the server no later than 9:30 EST. A link for access to the discord server will be sent to the contact email provided the night before.

Question Set: Terrapin Open is a Nats-minus level tournament being written by members of the Maryland Academic Quiz Team, as well as several outside writers and editors. More information about the set can be found in the global announcement here.

Registration & Eligibility: This is an open tournament, meaning all players who have not already played the set are eligible, whether enrolled in high school, college, or not currently enrolled at an educational institution. If you are interested in playing please enter your team name and roster on this spreadsheet, or put yourself down as a free agent. To register, please put your team down on the registration spreadsheet. Your team will not be considered fully registered until you have at least 2 players down, as well as a contact email.

Note that teams will be capped at 4 players per team, and the field is currently capped at 12 teams, though we will expand if we can get more staff.

Staff If you have already played the tournament, or would like to staff for any reason, please put your name and email on the spreadsheet, along with which day(s) you would like to staff. (staff columns are just to the right of the free agent one.) All staff will receive monetary remuneration, regardless of whether you help only one day, or you help both days.

Fees: This mirror will cost $75 per team. You can pay by Venmo or check.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any additional questions or concerns
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
Noble Rot
Lulu

Re: Terrapin Open Discord Mirror (3/28 - 3/29)

Post by Noble Rot »

We're expanding the field cap to 14 teams, and making Thursday the last day you can register a team.
Alex Echikson
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

We've found a full team.

Aayush, Rein and I are still looking for teammates. Our biggest holes are biology. PM me here or discord if you're interested!

Update: We've acquired one Rein Otasason.
Last edited by ErikC on Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Noble Rot wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 am
This mirror will cost $75 per team. You can pay by Venmo or check.
This will be a problem for us. We don't have Venmo in Canada and I can't send cheques in American currency. If you have PayPal, I can pay you that way, but the two options listed above are basically not possible.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
jmarvin_
Wakka

Post by jmarvin_ »

Last second drop from my team, so if you want to sneak in and play this get in touch ASAP!

EDIT: Wonyoung has taken the slot.
john marvin
university of chicago - joint ph.d., philosophy and philosophy of religions, 2028
university of chicago - m.a. philosophy of religions, 2021
boston college - b.a. theology, 2018
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

Stats for all the rounds played today (rounds 1-9) can be found here.
Alex Echikson
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

After finishing the full round robin, team 8, In Place of a Hermeneutics of Art, We Need a Joe Exotic (Chris Ray, Eric Mukherjee, Clark Smith, and Andrew Lim) cleared the field. Edit: Full stats can now be found here. If you notice any mistakes, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks everyone who came out to play - I hope everyone enjoyed the set, and hopefully didn't find the 2-day mirror too big of a time commitment.
Huge shout out to Ophir Lifshitz, Joelle Smart, Kevin Marshall, Kai Smith, Vishwa Shanmugam, Ethan Strombeck, Caroline Mao, and Emmett Laurie for helping staff and making everything run so smoothly.
Alex Echikson
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

Due to new information that has come to light, team 8 "In Place of a Hermeneutics of Art, We Need a Joe Exotic" have retroactively forfeited their games, meaning that Team 9 "Bay Area Scholars" (Natan Holtzman, Bryce Hwang, Stephen Liu, and Aseem Keyal) are now the winner of the Terrapin Open discord mirror.
Alex Echikson