The MONTHS TOURNAMENT: "ancient 4" quadrant

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

The MONTHS TOURNAMENT: "ancient 4" quadrant

Post by theMoMA »

Although not offering the same amount of whimsy or "star power" as some of the other brackets, the "ancient" months are rich in history and culture. This bracket calls on voters to step back in time and travel around the world, from Egypt to Persia to Rome and beyond.

A crowded field of Aztec months, in particular, awaits voters in this first revealed quadrant of the "ancient" bracket. The first voting post and ballot will be posted shortly. Thank you for your patience, and please do not vote until then.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Re: The MONTHS TOURNAMENT: "ancient 4" quadrant

Post by theMoMA »

In the 4/61 matchup, observers of the MONTHS TOURNAMENT have been talking up the strength of Dumuzu for, quite literally, months, but it remained to be seen until now if the organizers would reward the month with a top seed. The revelation of this quadrant of the bracket answers that question in the affirmative. All of the factors for a top seed were there. "Ancient" has a little less name recognition up and down the bracket, and Dumuzu is an early summer Babylonian month with a rich mythical connection; it is named for the mythical shepherd Dumuzid, the linguistic forerunner to the Hebrew month Tammuz (which recently won its play-in; we'll see if that factors into the voters' decisions), and is associated with the Zodiac sign Alluttu, the Babylonian equivalent of Cancer. The 61 seed, Athyr is no pushover, however, and comes with a rich mythical tradition of its own; it is an Egyptian month associated with Hathor and the middle of the Nile flood season.

The 29/36 showdown pits the Athenian month Mounichion against the Aztec month 1 Crocodile. The Greek month, which falls in late spring, earns a slightly better seed owing to its association with the Mounichia festival, a celebration honoring Artemis and commemorating the Athenian victory over the Persians at Salamis. Unfortunately for Mounichion, its opponent is not an Old Persian month, but rather an Aztec one, with formidable qualifications in its own right. 1 Crocodile is the first trecena of the sacred Aztec calendar, and is associated with the "dualistic" god Ometeotl.

The 20/45 matchup is between two Aztec trecenas, 1 Rain and 1 Jaguar. 1 Rain comes in as the heavy favorite, owing to the centrality of rain and sacrifice to its associated deity, Tlaloc, in Aztec culture. Fans of 1 Jaguar might feel it was hard done by the seeding committee, as it boasts qualifications, including association with both the sacred animal of the jaguar and the recognizable deity Quetzalcoatl, that many feel are equal to any Aztec month in the bracket, and several months from other calendars as well. It looks like this matchup is one to watch for some potential fireworks and controversy.

The battle between 13 and 52 involves Tebetum and Abu, two Babylonian months, and only one can advance. Tebetum earns a commanding 13 seed, although some observers have scrutinized this seed heavily, feeling that the Babylonian month's association with the coming of the water and the attendant deity Pap-sukkal are not nearly enough to warrant such a good seed. Abu enters this matchup as an unusually strong 52 seed, coming off of a win in the play-in against Sabatu on the strength of the former's association with Gilgamesh, and despite the latter's association with the etymology of the word "Sabbath." Many have expressed concerns that Abu and even Sabatu had stronger resumes than Tebetum coming into the MONTHS TOURNAMENT, and it appears that the organizers have responded by allowing the voters to decide, once and for all.

The 12/53 matchup will perhaps get lost in the shuffle, as it also involves an underdog Aztec trecena, in this case 1 Water. The organizers of the MONTHS TOURNAMENT take no official position on any of the months before the voting begins, but everyone should understand that this month is associated with Chalchiuhtotolin. The name is a mouthful, but in simple terms, it is a turkey that is covered in jewels and brings plague and sickness. As Wikipedia puts it, "Another depiction of Chalchiuhtotolin's evil side includes the sharp silver of his talons. His nahual, of course, is a turkey in which he terrorizes villages, bringing disease and sickness." Although it is not for anyone but the voters to say, this association with plagues, disease, and vicious talons is the last thing many people want to hear, given the proliferation of the novel coronavirus/COVID-19, a disease/plague that uses its "spike peplomers" (reminiscent of talons) to "claw" its way into human cells. That said, voters shouldn't overlook Markašanaš's charm and allure, as this could be a sneaky contender to make it out of this "ancient 4" quadrant. This Old Persian late autumn/early winter month, which is associated with the ritual wolf hunt, is seen as having no real downside and by many voters as a "safe" choice to advance ahead of the disease-bearing Mesoamerican fowl.

Voters should find the 21/44 matchup a bit lighter than the previous one, with the Greek month Skirophorion entering as a comfortable favorite over the Old Persian month Sākurriziš. Skirophorion, the final month of the Athenian calendar, was associated with the end-of-year festival and its accompanying inversion of the social order, in which women were granted many liberties at the expense of men, including the communal eating of garlic. In one of the many delightful congruences set forth by the organizers of the MONTHS TOURNAMENT, Sākurriziš is an Old Persian month whose name means "garlic-collecting month."

1 Quake takes on Hekatombaion in what is seen as a fairly even 28/37 matchup. 1 Quake has earned its better seed on the strength of its association with earthquakes, minor league baseball teams from Rancho Cucamonga, and Tlazolteotl, the Aztec eater of filth, widely considered one of the more interesting Aztec deities. Hekatombaion, named after the hekatombe, or ritual slaughter of one hundred (100) oxen, will be hoping that its status as the first month of the Attic calendar, and its position at the height of midsummer, will earn it favor with voters.

Finally, at the bottom of the bracket, in our 5/60 matchup, we have one of our two Roman months in a showdown against an underdog Aztec month. 1 Flower beat up on poor 1 Deer to advance out of the play-in, and it will have to rely on the strength of its association with the flayed god of sacrifice, Xipe Totec, if it wants to pull off a "major upset" in this quadrant. Mensis Quintilis is a Roman month, originally the fifth, but eventually the seventh after calendar reform, that was renamed "July" in honor of Julius Caesar, who is one of the most megalomaniacal people ever to be born on 12 Quintilis.

BALLOT: COPY/PASTE TO VOTE

4/61: Dumuzu v Athyr
29/36: Mounichion v 1 Crocodile
20/45: 1 Rain v 1 Jaguar
13/52: Tebetum v Abu
12/53: Markašanaš v 1 Water
21/44: Skirophorion v Sākurriziš
28/37: 1 Quake v Hekatombaion
5/60: Mensis Quintilis v 1 Flower

Voting is open until April 4 (4/4).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
bkmcavoybickford
Wakka

Post by bkmcavoybickford »

A month for floods would be a great idea, except we would have to move it around in the calendar whenever flooding began to hit, since most of the world doesn't have predictable floods
1 Crocodile is probably safe if it is in a good enclosure. I would much prefer it to 2000 Crocodile
1 Rain is not nearly enough rain.
I'm not sure there's much special about Abu, even if it is associated with Gilgamesh
I'm going to vote for most of the Old Persian months, because they have the most interesting names to say
Also has an interesting name
The Aztecs may have done human sacrifice, but did they name a month for ritually killing 100 oxen?
This month deserves revenge for being kicked out of the calendar.
Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford.
kammajos000
Lulu

Post by kammajos000 »

Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
jameshadleyg
Lulu

Post by jameshadleyg »

In my continued crusade against myth (except rain gods) and philosophy, I'll vote for Athyr because floods are REAL.
I'm not even going to try to pronounce "Mounichion." I don't know anything about Ometeotl, but Crocodiles are always cool.
I've voted for rain before and I'll do so again.
Despite Abu having a delightfully short and easy to spell name, it's the reason Sabatu isn't here, so Tebetum takes my vote.
I'll vote water here just to be contrarian. I would even think about covid if it weren't brought up here!
Skirophorion seems like a pretty cool month. All Sākurriziš has going for it is garlic, and Skirophorion has that too!
I've always been fascinated by earthquakes--maybe a month named after them will raise awareness and improve preparedness. I can't say the same for Oxen murder.
Still don't like the imagery of a flayed god. Mensis Quintilis is pretty long, but like we could just call it MQ and people would understand.
James Hadley
Chatham High School '18
Rutgers University '22
University of Western Ontario [2022-Present]
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Hathor is pretty cool.

I am afraid of crocodiles.

In honor of Greg Gauthier

This is my chance to get revenge for the premature ousting of Sabatu.

My uncle used to have a pet turkey named George that I liked.

It is better to collect garlic than to have other people eat it.

Why not?

Mensis Quintilis should have had its name changed when it stopped being the 5th month.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

4/61: Dumuzu v Athyr. Dumuzu as a 1 seed is a cool story, and I'd hate to see it end here.
29/36: Mounichion v 1 Crocodile. Our Secretary of Treasury, Steven Mounichion, needs all the support he can get.
20/45: 1 Rain v 1 Jaguar. I can't imagine I'm the only one for whom this combo of jaguars/Quetzalcoatl will be too much to pass up.
13/52: Tebetum v Abu. Tebetum was way overseeded...yeesh.
12/53: Markašanaš v 1 Water. I simply will not vote for the plague turkey.
21/44: Skirophorion v Sākurriziš. I support Athenian women's right to eat garlic.
28/37: 1 Quake v Hekatombaion. 1 Quake does not move me.
5/60: Mensis Quintilis v 1 Flower. Real heads appreciate Quintilis. (By the way, the criticism that Quintilis should have been renamed after it became the 7th rather than the 5th month applies equally to September, October, November, and December.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

4/61: Dumuzu v Athyr - Tammuz is a bottom icon
29/36: Mounichion v 1 Crocodile - tough matchup, as I like both Omoteotl and salamis
13/52: Tebetum v Abu - ah yes, that figure everyone knows and loves, " Pap-sukkal"
12/53: Markašanaš v 1 Water - all these years later, I still remember the delightful phrase "magical turkey of jade" from the 2011 Illinois Open bonus part on Chalchiuhtotolin, so this choice is clear
21/44: Skirophorion v Sākurriziš - it's not enough to simply collect the garlic, because then it'll just rot in your pantry as you don't cook enough to get through it all
28/37: 1 Quake v Hekatombaion - the descriptions of hecatombs in the Homeric epics are sort of sickening
5/60: Mensis Quintilis v 1 Flower - if Julius Caesar was inclined to reform it, it must not have been a very good month at all
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

4/61: Dumuzu v Athyr - Dumuzid really got screwed when Inanna allowed the galla demons to drag him down into the underworld as her replacement, and as all good Magic players know, screw beats flood.
29/36: Mounichion v 1 Crocodile - I feel obligated to support both the late spring and delicious, delicious salamis.
20/45: 1 Rain v 1 Jaguar - I would be perfectly happy to have either of these months advance, but I see no reason to abstain here; I give the edge to Tlaloc.
13/52: Tebetum v Abu - must continue to support my boy Gilgamesh.
12/53: Markašanaš v 1 Water - you fiends didn't sufficiently respect the Obsidian Butterfly; I really hope to see some support for the Jade Turkey (or, as a different website has it, the "Precious Night Turkey"!). What I can only assume is the official website of the Aztec calendar reminds us that despite his association with plagues, Chalchiuhtotolin can also absolve people of guilt and cleanse them of their contamination. Ultimately, of course, the question is: what better time than now to propitiate a plague god by signaling your respect?
21/44: Skirophorion v Sākurriziš - Garlic-collecting is ultimately necessary at some level, of course, but I think it's more important to celebrate the sharing and communal eating of garlic, lest we overly fetishize mere acquisition (of garlic).
28/37: 1 Quake v Hekatombaion - 2 Quake has generally maintained higher critical regard, but it's undeniable that 1 Quake is also an absolute classic, not least because of the Trent Reznor-composed soundtrack.
5/60: Mensis Quintilis v 1 Flower - Xipe Totec rules
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Floods are meh
two gods is better than one
jaguars are pretty cool, rain is cool too but not as cool
Gilgamesh was pretty baller
kinda reminds me of Arkansas, a state I was recently in and enjoyed
Who doesn't love garlic
much like Tlazolteotl, I enjoy eating filth
All hail the flayed god
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
IncompetentIdiot
Lulu

Post by IncompetentIdiot »

Kevin Fan
Bell High School '19
McGill University '23
Apocolocyntora
Rikku

Post by Apocolocyntora »

I have never heard of Dumuzid or Alluttu, but I have heard of Hathor and I have heard of floods. Easy decision.
While I do enjoy rain, Tlaloc is probably the worst Aztec deity and I cannot in good conscience vote for any month related to him.
When I first saw the name Markašanaš, I misread it as "Markanšaš," and I can't help but vote for such a patriotically-oriented month.
It is tough to decide between two months that champion the consumption of garlic, but Skirophorion earns the win due to its synthesis of women's rights and garlic consumption.
I cannot endorse the slaughtering of oxen :(
Tora (she/her/hers)
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22 (President, '20-'22)
Noble Rot
Lulu

Post by Noble Rot »

After having had my house flood multiple times, I've got a personal vendetta against them. Sorry Athyr.

Purely because Mounichion has a better name.

While I do enjoy the rain sometimes, jaguars are a top-tier animal and can't be ignored.

This would make a lot more sense if you flipped the seeding.

While wolf hunting is bad, Water hits a bit to close to home right now given the disease association.

Tough choice. Two great months but I always have a soft spot for months that come at the end of the year.

Abstaining because neither of these months deserves to go on to the next round.

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:05 pm Xipe Totec rules
Alex Echikson
Richard Montgomery '16, University of Maryland '20
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Voting closes tonight!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

The organizers of the MONTHS TOURNAMENT humbly apologize to the members of the hsquizbowl forum community for the gap in "posting" that has taken place this week. Before taking advantage of the remaining week of "rest and relaxation" leading up to the next round of voting, which will begin Monday, it's time to announce some winners.

There's no other way to put it: this "quadrant" was a bloodbath. Voters were asked to evaluate the merits of months that do not have a lot of "name recognition," and insanely close matchups and shocking upsets resulted.

The shocks started right out of the gate, with the #4 seed, Dumuzu, losing out to the lightly regarded #61 seed Athyr, 10-8.5. No one saw this coming, and it appears that Dumuzu simply took this matchup for granted, which is surprising for a month that put in so much effort into attaining the respect needed for that #4 seed to begin with. Take nothing away from Athyr though, which is clearly no pushover.

The upsets kept rolling in the 29/36 matchup, although Mounichion's loss to 1 Crocodile was not nearly as shocking as the "Dumuzu downfall," as some are now calling it. Observers thought that Mounichion had this one in the bag due to its historical connection to the Battle of Salamis, but the voters saw otherwise, awarding the Aztec month the win, 11-7.5.

Many thought that the 20/45 matchup between 1 Rain and 1 Jaguar was a lot closer than the seeding suggested, as both of these are powerhouse Aztec months with connections to central deities and practices. In the end, the underseeded 1 Jaguar prevailed on the strength of its associations with Quetzalcoatl and Jaguars, and it was not particularly close, with the final count standing at 13.5-5.

The matchup between Tebetum (#13 seed) and Abu (#52 seed) had many observers putting the better-seeded of these two Babylonian months on "upset alert," but in a somewhat surprising twist, Tebetum lived up to its seed and took a relatively comfortable 11-7.5 victory. It's fair to say that observers really were not on the same "wavelength" as the voters for this "quadrant," and it remains to be seen whether people will get a handle on how the "ancient" category will shake out.

The 12/53 matchup involved the Old Persian month Markašanaš, seen as the "safe" pick, and 1 Water, seen as a "dangerous" or "controversial" pick owing to its association with a notorious Aztec plague fowl during this time of COVID-19/novel coronavirus. In the end, the voters took the "safe route," and Markašanaš prevailed, 10.5-8, although the fact that so many voters were willing to court danger could be a bellwether of future risk-taking in the MONTHS TOURNAMENT.

Voters in the 21/44 matchup were treated to a surprising "garlic-themed" faceoff between the favored Greek month Skirophorion and the underdog Old Persian month Sākurriziš. In one of the few relatively straightforward votes of the round, the favorite won out, 11.5-7.

There's not that much to say about the 28/37 matchup, other than perhaps that it was not as close as some observers (or the seeds) would have suggested; the favorite, 1 Quake, was able to win fairly comfortably over Hekatombaion, 10.5-6.5, with many voters pointing to the latter's association with ritual cattle slaughter as a negative.

Finally, in what was surprisingly the closest vote yet in the MONTHS TOURNAMENT, #5 seed Mensis Quintilis barely hung on over what observers thought was a relative pushover, the #60 seed 1 Flower. Perhaps observers should have been more wary of the Aztec month due to its association with voter-favorite Aztec "flayed deity" Xipe Totec. Regardless, the Roman month barely escaped to fight another battle, 9.5-9.

Observers are calling this quadrant a big win for the Aztec calendar, which managed to advance most of its well-seeded months and gave some real scares to big favorites up and down the bracket, in what may signal that voters are attuned to the mythical and symbolic connections that places a lot of intrigue in these months.

Things were a push for the Greek and Old Persian months, with the former going 1-2 and the latter 1-1, and both advancing their best-seeded month in the "quadrant." The Roman calendar will feel trepidation but also relief after one of just two months it entered into the event was able to advance despite fierce resistance.

And of course there's no way to spin what happened to the Babylonian calendar as anything but a disaster. Simply put, Dumuzu had a lot of factors going for it but simply could not find traction with the voters against a relatively anonymous opponent. Although Tebetum fights on, it was at the expense of another Babylonian month, and many observers believed that Abu was actually the stronger choice in that matchup and that fans of the Babylonian calendar may come to rue the decision to advance Tebetum.

The MONTHS TOURNAMENT is currently on hiatus but will return on Monday, April 13.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum