Open 'SHOP: An open WORKSHOP online mirror (4/25/2020)

Old college threads.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Open 'SHOP: An open WORKSHOP online mirror (4/25/2020)

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Hi everyone!

Given the cancellation of several of our in-person mirrors, we on the WORKSHOP team are announcing a second round of online mirrors, one closed and one open. The following announcement covers the OPEN mirror, which will happen on April 25, 2020. Any 4 players, as long as they have not playtested the set or played any previous mirror, are free to form a team and play this mirror. The field is capped at 12 teams.

This tournament is collegiate regionals difficulty, a 3 on Ophir's difficulty scale. More information here.

In order to register, please fill out a row on the OPEN subsheet of this spreadsheet. Please also email [email protected] with a functioning venmo address that we can charge for payment.

Payment:
The mirror fee for this tournament will be $80 per team. If a member of your team commits to staff the closed mirror the following weekend, your mirror fee will be discounted to $40. If two members of your team do so, your mirror fee will be discounted to $20. Please direct payment to Alex Damisch over Venmo (preferred) @damischa or, if you can't, PayPal [email protected]

Staffing:
If you want to staff, please indicate that on the spreadsheet linked above. Staff who are not will receive $30 for the day.

Logistics:
This tournament will begin at 10 AM Eastern Time (7 AM Pacific) with or without you. Please be on the server at 9:30; a link for the server will be sent to the contact email provided the night before.

We hope to see you there!
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: Open 'SHOP: An open WORKSHOP online mirror (4/25/2020)

Given that with the free agent list, the number of signups already exceeds the number of field spaces, I have decided to expand the field for this tournament to 14, with potential further expansion contingent on demand and staff. I will give priority for remaining spots in the field to teams made up of people who are already signed up as free agents.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
AdiyaSivakuma
Kimahri

Post by AdiyaSivakuma »

I was wondering, could one sign up to moderate on both days?
When you powervulch and get it wrong...
Aditya Sivakumar
Winston Churchill (2016-2019)
Mira Loma High School (2019-)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

AdiyaSivakuma wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm I was wondering, could one sign up to moderate on both days?
Am I missing something that this tournament is being held over two days? Or are you referring to the open and closed mirrors of this set?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

AdiyaSivakuma wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm I was wondering, could one sign up to moderate on both days?
Yeah, that's fine, although I should note that we're almost at the level at which we can provide every room a reader and scorekeeper, at which point we'll close staff signup.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

Is this Tossups + Bonuses or Tossups only? I assume the former, since nothing in particular has been said, but just wanted to make sure. I was also wondering how many rounds might be used/how long this tournament will take.
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:43 pm Is this Tossups + Bonuses or Tossups only? I assume the former, since nothing in particular has been said, but just wanted to make sure. I was also wondering how many rounds might be used/how long this tournament will take.
Yes, the former is the case. Plan on 10ish rounds, potentially + a couple depending on how many teams we end up with.

Another note: I would like to have the field finalized tomorrow by 6 PM Eastern, at which time I will assign any remaining free agents to teams and make the discord server we will use for the tournament. Half of the cost of admission will be charged to any team that drops after that time.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Thanks to everyone who turned out! This tournament ended in a 5 (!) way tie for first that, it being late, we decided against breaking. Congratulations to co-champions The Velvet Underground and Neekolul (Dylan Minarik, Taylor Harvey, Alex Shaw, and Tracy Mirkin), Yale-ish B (Stephen Eltinge, Daniel Sheinberg, Michal Gerasimiuk, and DMA), Goldman et al. (Joey Goldman, Jason Zhou, Sam Braunfeld, and Isaac Kirk-Davidoff), Lewis et al. (Jack Lewis, Adam Silverman, and Jakob Boeye), and ". :feelsawfulman: (Justine French, Nicholas Dai, Prat Jai, and Alexander Harmata). Stats are here. https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... all_games/
I'd like to thank our external staffers: Thalia Aoki, Sarah Eltinge, Shohom Chakraborty, Arjun Gonuguntla, Vishal Rameshbabu, Sadie Britton, Aditya Sivakumar, Luc Wetherbee, Rebecca Rosenthal, Govind Prabhakar, Eric Mukherjee, Arjun Nageswaran, and Katherine Lei. You guys are awesome! Thanks for contributing to what was largely a pretty speedy tournament free from major malfunctions.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal