SUN 2020: Thanks and General Discussion

Old college threads.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

SUN 2020: Thanks and General Discussion

Post by Ciorwrong »

This is the topic for general discussion on this tournament. The writing staff as printed on the packets was the following:

Edited by: Harris Bunker, Taylor Harvey, Chris Sims, Mike Cheyne
Written by: The Editors and Lalit Maharjan, William Grossman, James Zhou, Bradley Kirksey,
Zachary Knecht, Montagu James, Roman Madoerin, Vishal Puppala, Eve Fleisig,
Rebecca Thomas, Spencer Oung, Charles Dees, Abhinav Karthikeyan, Jack Edmondson,
Karsten Rynearson, Jason Lewis, Zach Foster and Chandler West

I'll have more to say when I have a free minute and my body is not reacting so severely to nightcore music and caffeine but I wanted to thank all the editors here. I don't think the set as mirrored 4/19 was perfect, but the editors and writers (shout-out to William Grossman and Lalit!!) really saved my butt when work on this was a little off schedule. I spent a ton of time on MWT and I hope the writers of this don't feel resentment because of that. Taylor in particular kicked into high gear soon as ACF Regs was finished and absolutely was the MVP of this set. Unfortunately, we don't have a ton of novices who played this set but I tried to make this set Fall level while still skimming the surface of higher level quizbowl topics. There aren't a ton of sets to compare this too aside from ACF Fall but I think overall I'm pretty happy on difficulty control.

I take full responsibility for all the instances of sloppy or unclear wording, misplaced clues and confusing lead-ins. I think I tried to edit too much of this tournament and I hope it was still enjoyable for the players who participated.
Last edited by Ciorwrong on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Re: SUN 2020: Thanks and General Discussion

Post by Cheynem »

I had very minimal involvement in this set, having been brought on late. I don't say this to try and hide from the set, as I certainly looked over the questions, particularly the history, but I only wrote a handful of things, so if you like particular ideas, please compliment the other editors and authors, who worked very hard on the set.

I worked most on the American history, if people have thoughts on that.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
ArnavS
Lulu

Post by ArnavS »

I really enjoyed this set. Thought it was well-calibrated difficulty-wise, with an interesting but still achievable set of answer lines.

Although one phenomenon I think we all observed is that certain pronouns can cause disproportionate confusion when they’re used in questions...
Arnav Sood
"We're not going to pay you to come to our tournaments" --- Paul Kasiński
NYU, 2014-2018
University of British Columbia, 2018-2020
Carnegie Mellon, 2021-
whatamidoinghere
Wakka

Post by whatamidoinghere »

This set felt very well done, albeit a problem of perhaps including the indicator near the end of the tossup, which may lead to buzzer races if this set is played on HS fields (although I understand that this set wasn't meant to be on a HS field). However, this set was definitely a very good set and I was very happy with it overall.