Minnesota 2006-2007

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Strongside
Rikku

Minnesota 2006-2007

Post by Strongside »

Although I doubt many people here care I know there are at least a few people who are from Minnesota and since other states were doing it I couldn't resist.

Chaska: They got second at Chip's tournament. They are losing their entire A team. Since I know a few of the guys from Chaska read this I'll let them elaborate.

Saint Thomas: They got fourth at Chips's tournament and tied for 16th at NAQT Nationals. They are losing 3 members off of their A team but they return Tom and they have a solid B team that beat our team at full strength at a tournament.

Eden Prairie: They return Michael, Trevor, and Gautam and they have a solid B team. They won the NAQT State Championship and I think they'll be the best team in the state this upcoming season.

Minnetonka: They're losing Sean along with a lot of other seniors but they have Alex who was really good for a freshman.

Saint Paul Academy: I think they're losing 3 of their top 4.

Orono: They made it to the semifinals of the state tournament.

Saint Anthony: They do much more knowledge bowl than quiz bowl but they have James and a huge program and they won the state championship in knowledge bowl.

Wayzata: They are losing a few people but they have Rohan.

Cretin Derham Hall: They are losing a few people including Bob.

Other teams to watch: De La Salle, Edina, Armstrong
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I was gonna start one of these sooner or later, but you beat me to it.

Next year for Chaska's definitely gonna be a rebuilding year. We lose our entire A team and a number of other less-frequently-participating seniors. Apparently we'll have a huge sophomore contingent next year, though it remains to be seen how many will actually play QB in addition to, rather than just, Knowledge Bowl (>_<). Due to Science Bowl Nationals, most of last year's A team missed NAQT state, so some younger kids got a good workout there. I expect us to do pretty well.

Eden Prairie A is gonna kick some serious ass though. Like Brendan said, they return the three most dominant members of their A team, as well as their rather strong B team. They're going to win a lot, and I'm excited to come back and read for them.

St. Thomas loses Jack and Josh, which is a sizable hit. Lucky for them, though, they keep Tom for another year. He'll take them pretty far. They also had a good B team, so he'll have a solid supporting cast.

Minnetonka loses Sean. There goes most of their points. Alex, a rising sophomore (ninth in scoring at NAQT state, apparently) looks pretty good, but I didn't see many other standouts.

Wayzata does indeed keep Rohan, their top scorer at NAQT state. Also, they have a surprisingly deep program with a bunch of good sophomores.

St. Paul Academy graduates most of their A team, so that's a big hit. I don't know how strong the rest of their program was.

Eden Prairie B is another one to watch out for. With the lack of turnover they can still maintain a strong B team that can only get better.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Forgot to mention that next year's seniors and juniors are good, but somewhat untested. Often Chaska only brings one team to non-MNHSL QB tournaments. However, they all have several years of experience in Knowledge Bowl, for what that's worth.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mitu
Lulu

Post by Mitu »

Aside from us returning Rohan, next year's A team is quite untested. Its definitely going to be a rebuilding year for us.
Mitu Ramgopal
Wayzata '08
Canadajin
Lulu

2006-2007

Post by Canadajin »

I also think that next year's Minnesota QB scene will be very interesting. We're very fortunate to have had only two people graduating this year...it's probably thew only reason we'll succeed. But anyway, I think St. Thomas will, as usual, have a very good team next year. I just haven't seen much of their other players yet. I think Minnetonka will also have quite a bit of contention and that Wayzata will as well. As for KB, it doesn't matter because QB is much better :wink:. It will definitely be an interesting year.

Michael Wright