FALL 2020 - Spring Undergraduate Novice (SUN) 2020 Southeast Online Mirror (9/12/2020)

Old college threads.
wjg
Lulu

FALL 2020 - Spring Undergraduate Novice (SUN) 2020 Southeast Online Mirror (9/12/2020)

Post by wjg »

I am pleased to announce that the University of Florida will be hosting the Fall 2020 Southeast regional online mirror of Spring Undergraduate Novice (SUN) 2020 on Saturday, September 12th, 2020. The main link to this set with information of distribution, difficulty, and other pertinent details can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23049

We will be using similar geographic boundaries as those used by IKEA and LIT for regional online mirrors, in that teams from institutions located in KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, and FL will be allowed to participate. If your institution is outside of those geographic boundaries but you would still like to participate, please reach out to me via email and we can discuss your situation.

The tournament will take place on Zoom, with start time 9 AM eastern. The use of a webcam will be required for this tournament, however, if you do not have access to a webcam but still wish to participate, or have other concerns about you personally using a webcam, please reach out to me via email ([email protected]) explaining your situation, and exceptions can be made. I, will be serving as the tournament director, with assistance in some TD duties from Anthony Delgado. Please direct any questions about this mirror to me at [email protected]

Eligibility
This will be a closed tournament. Teams must be comprised entirely of players enrolled at the same institution. Colleges and community colleges are eligible to play. The main post for SUN outlines the general eligibility guidelines for the set. We strongly encourage schools to only enter players who are in either their first or second year of playing collegiate quizbowl (and did not have extensive high school experience) and players who do not generally finish near the top of scoring leaderboards at regular difficulty collegiate tournaments or at NAQT HSNCT, PACE NSC, or similar high school national championship tournaments. As the tournament director, I reserve the right to prohibit any individual from playing this tournament on the basis of experience or skill. If you have any questions about eligibility, please email me at [email protected]

Rules
This tournament will have a Code of Conduct that will be sent to all registered and interested teams well in advance of the tournament. All participants must agree to adhere to the Code of Conduct in order to participate in the tournament.
This tournament will follow ACF gameplay rules, with the exception of allowing 7 seconds for conferral on bonuses to accommodate the online format.

Registration
Please email me at [email protected] with the number of teams, the rosters of said teams, and the number of staffers you will provide (if any).

The field cap is set at 24, after which teams will be placed on a waitlist. Please register by September 5th at the latest.

Fees
Base fee: $90
Staffers: –$10 per staffer working the entirety of the tournament
New to quizbowl discounts:
-$10 for colleges that did not attend a collegiate tournament outside of NAQT Collegiate Novice, ACF Fall and NAQT SCT DII in the last academic year (i.e. September 2019 – May 2020)
-$30 for institutions that have not attended ANY academic quizbowl tournament in the past three (3) academic years
Fees may be paid by Venmo. If you do not have access to Venmo, please reach out to me so we can find an alternative option.

We look forward to seeing you all virtually on September 12th, 2020!

Field as of 9/2 (teams/staff):
UF (1/many)
UCF (2/2)
Georgia Tech (5/0)
UNC (2/3)
South Carolina (2/2)
Jefferson CC (2/0)
Stony Brook (1/0) (granted geographic exception due status as a newer program and lack of Northeast mirror)
UNF (1/0)
William & Mary (3/3) (granted geographic exception due to close proximity and lack of Mid-Atlantic mirror)
UGA (4/3)
Duke (1/1)
Last edited by wjg on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: FALL 2020 - Spring Undergraduate Novice (SUN) 2020 Southeast Online Mirror (9/12/2020)

Post by CPiGuy »

wjg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:28 pm teams from institutions located in KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MI, and FL will be allowed to participate.
I assume you mean Mississippi (MS) and not Michigan (MI).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Sean
Wakka

Re: FALL 2020 - Spring Undergraduate Novice (SUN) 2020 Southeast Online Mirror (9/12/2020)

Post by Sean »

1) Good catch. 2) To clarify: do the new to quiz bowl discounts stack? Trying to determine if the base price for a UNF team would be $50 or $60.

Edit: reading this back I'm going to assume it's $60--stacking discounts within the "new to quizbowl" category would be needlessly confusing. I'm kind of in questioning mode right now as I'm currently in the process of reading through the 35 pages of the last mafia game to familiarize myself with it. Sorry.
Last edited by Sean on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Farrell
Mandarin High '20
North Florida '23
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

CPiGuy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:34 am
wjg wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:28 pm teams from institutions located in KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MI, and FL will be allowed to participate.
I assume you mean Mississippi (MS) and not Michigan (MI).
Yes, I do mean Mississippi and not Michigan, that was a typo on my part. Thanks for pointing it out! The post has been updated to reflect the fix.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

Sean wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:09 am 1) Good catch. 2) To clarify: do the new to quiz bowl discounts stack? Trying to determine if the base price for a UNF team would be $50 or $60.

Edit: reading this back I'm going to assume it's $60--stacking discounts within the "new to quizbowl" category would be needlessly confusing. I'm kind of in questioning mode right now as I'm currently in the process of reading through the 35 pages of the last mafia game to familiarize myself with it. Sorry.
Hi,

Sorry for the late response! Somehow I missed this post when replying to Conor. You are correct that the base for UNF would be $60. Please let me know if you'd like to play, we'd be glad to have you!

Additionally, to all potential teams, the OP has been updated with a field update as of today. Please register by the end of the day on 9/5 if you'd like to play and haven't registered already. The field cap is still at 16 but there is room for potential expansion, especially if additional teams provide staffers.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
Sean
Wakka

Post by Sean »

wjg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:35 am
Please let me know if you'd like to play, we'd be glad to have you!
We definitely plan on having at least one team, I just need a couple more days to determine the exact roster. We're getting going a bit later than I was hoping we would. I know we're cutting it close to the deadline, but I will definitely contact you by Friday.

Edit: changed my spelling of than again. Still don't know the difference between then and than 🤦‍♂️
Sean Farrell
Mandarin High '20
North Florida '23
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

We have been delighted by the interested in this tournament so far. The OP has been updated to reflect the current field, as well as the fact that we have expanded the cap to 18 teams. Please note that a registration is only official if your team has given me the planned final number of teams you intend to bring, so teams listed as "pending" should clarify the number of teams they intend to enter as soon as possible in order to be counted in the field. We will likely need more staffers to expand beyond 18, so any teams that register after that cap is hit will be placed on a waitlist unless another expansion occurs.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

The field has been updated. We have set a final cap at 24. Any teams that register once the field has hit 24 teams will be placed on a waitlist. September 5th remains the deadline to register or join the waitlist. Thank you all for your interest so far!

EDIT: The field is now full. All additional registrations between now and 9/5 will be placed on the waitlist.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

The OP has been updated to reflect that this tournament will begin at 9 AM eastern time on 9/12. Teams and staffers should expect an initial logistics email containing an overview of the schedule, day of tournament procedures, staff assignments (for staffers), and other such details around mid-week, and a follow up email containing links to the day of tournament Zoom call(s) the day prior to the tournament.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

All teams should have received a logistics email.
Will (he/him/his)
Florida
wjg
Lulu

Post by wjg »

This tournament happened, and I believe a good time was had by all. I think everything ran pretty smoothly, and we managed to finish before 7 PM while playing 11 rounds of quizbowl.

Congratulations to UNC A (Ciara Caines, Michael Bucknall, Aneesh Purohit, Anthony Hui), who, by virtue of their playoff record + prelim carryover, ended up 2 games clear and won the tournament without the need for a final.

The Top 10 individual scorers in prelims were:
1. Isak Jatoi, South Carolina B
2. Sean Farrell, University of North Florida
3. Aryan Rai, UNC B
4. Johnny Nguyen, Georgia Tech 5
5. Anthony Hui, UNC A
6. Jack Oberman, South Carolina A
7. Jonathan Shauf, UNC B
8. Quentin Mot, Georgia Tech 4
9. Eleanor Covington, Auburn
10. Tony Ferry, UCF A

Thank you to all of the teams and players who came out (virtually) for this tournament! A special thank you is also in order for all of our staffers, without whom this tournament would not have been possible. They were (listed in no particular order): Zachary Knecht, Anthony Delgado, John Nienajadlo, Jonathen Settle, Taylor Harvey, Eric Douglass, Bryn Douglass, Rodrigo Rose, Sarah Mueller, Casey Bindas, Henry Goff, Shawn Jarrard, Adi Basu-Dutta, Grant Peet, Brennan Merone, Jesse Gingold, Khanh Nguyen, Aidan Leahy, Zane Placie, Sadie Britton, Akshata Pisharody, Chandler West, Leo Law, Jake Deerin, Alex Howe, Eric Gunter, David Stewart, Rebecca Thomas, Tracy Mirkin, and myself. Thank you as well to all of the SUN writers and editors.

Complete stats will follow soon.

EDIT: Stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... /combined/
Will (he/him/his)
Florida