2021 ACF Regionals Invitational (1/30/2021)

Old college threads.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

2021 ACF Regionals Invitational (1/30/2021)

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I am pleased to announce that the invitational site of 2021 ACF Regionals will be held on Discord on Saturday, January 30, 2021. This tournament is invitation-only to (what we believe are) the strongest collegiate teams. 14 bids were offered and all were accepted.

Follow our liveblogger here!

The tournament will take place virtually on Discord; server link here. The opening meeting will begin at 7 AM Pacific/9 AM Central/10 AM Eastern/3 PM GMT, and gameplay will begin approximately 15 minutes later. I will be the tournament director, with seeding assistance from Ryan Rosenberg. Please direct any questions about this site to me at the email in my forums profile, preferably with "REGIONALS" in the subject line.

Once again, I am obviously not a school, so I will need a lot of staffers, both team and external. Please see the "Fees" section for more details, and sign up to staff. I am especially seeking a competent stats person! Once again, the kind quizbowl community was lightning-fast in volunteering to do stats, but you should still sign up to staff. Fill out ACF's staffing form, but if you're good at stats, please also email me. I may also want a liveblogger for this--if you have liveblogging experience, please email me.

Eligibility
The tournament will follow ACF’s eligibility rules. In general, teams where players are all attending the same school and all taking at least one class for credit during the 2020–2021 school year are eligible to play 2021 ACF Regionals. Questions about eligibility should be directed to [email protected]. This is an invitational site, which means that top teams will be invited to play it.

Video is required to play this tournament. Teams have one month to acquire working webcams. Anyone who does not have a working webcam will not be allowed to play, including if their webcam malfunctions halfway through the day. No exceptions. As with ACF Winter Midwest, I will make myself available for A/V testing in the days before the tournament.

Rules
This tournament will follow ACF’s gameplay rules. Please note that ACF’s rules have been modified for online gameplay.

Registration
Fill out the central 2021 ACF Regionals registration form with all relevant information. You may view the field for each site here.

Please register by January 25, 2021.
Fees
  • Base fee: $120
  • New to quizbowl discount: −$80
  • Shorthanded discount (1–2 players): −$60
  • Staffers: −$25 per staffer with a functional external microphone/headset. Staffers must register with ACF in advance by filling out the central staff registration form.
The new to quizbowl discount is intended for schools that did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2019, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Please note that these fees apply regardless of the school's country of origin. Staff will be required to test their A/V setup with me ahead of time, regardless of online quizbowl experience. I strongly prefer that staff use video; if a staffer cannot use video, they will most likely be assigned to scorekeep.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2019, is required to submit a half-packet. Please email [email protected] if you are unsure whether your team is required to submit a half-packet. A team that is not required to submit a packet may submit an optional packet by the no-penalty deadline for a $50 discount.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT SCT (Division I or Division II), NAQT ICT, and typical college-level academic invitationals count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Pop culture or “hybrid” tournaments, HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT’s Collegiate Novice series sets do not.

Here is the submission schedule:
  • November 22nd, 2020: −$50
  • December 6th, 2020: −$25
  • December 20th, 2020: no penalty
  • January 3rd, 2021: +$25
  • January 17th, 2021: +$50
If teams required to submit a half-packet have not submitted by January 24th, they will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

If your team is obligated to submit a half-packet or wishes to do so, please register with this form by January 3, 2021. A half-packet distribution will be mailed to you. If you register and do not receive a half-packet distribution in a timely manner, please email [email protected].

Code of Conduct
This tournament will follow this code of conduct.

Spectators
As long as they remain unobtrusive, spectators are welcome at this tournament! I will post in this thread when I have a Discord server link, and I'll let you know how to get the Spectator Discord role. Here is the Discord server link. You can @me in #general to request the Spectator role.

I am very excited for this tournament! Again, please contact me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Field (14/14)
Berkeley A
Cambridge A
Chicago A
Columbia A
Florida A
Harvard A
Illinois A
Maryland A
Minnesota A
MIT A
Ohio State A
Oxford A
Stanford A
Texas A
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Re: 2021 ACF Regionals Invitational (1/30/2021)

Post by 1.82 »

What exactly is this tournament? What region of the country does this tournament correspond to? The linked ACF Regionals thread on the forum does not, as far as I can tell, provide any relevant information.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
CaseyB
Wakka

Post by CaseyB »

I believe this is the super site referred to in this thread.
Casey Bindas
PACE VP of Event Management
Michigan Tech 2016-18
VCU 2015-16
UCF 2011-15
Canton HS (MI) 2007-11
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

1.82 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:20 pm What exactly is this tournament? What region of the country does this tournament correspond to? The linked ACF Regionals thread on the forum does not, as far as I can tell, provide any relevant information.
CaseyB wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:13 pm I believe this is the super site referred to in this thread.
Casey is correct! I've updated the original post to reflect the 14 bids that were sent out, all of which were accepted.
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

Well, it's very dismaying that there was no mention in any public location to the existence of this tournament prior to the announcement that the spots had all been filled already.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

1.82 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm Well, it's very dismaying that there was no mention in any public location to the existence of this tournament prior to the announcement that the spots had all been filled already.
I think it's because this is the rare case of a Quizbowl Invitational that is actually invite-only.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Here is the Discord server link. (I will also email this to team contacts when I invoice them, which I'll do when I get packet discount info, hopefully soon!) Please edit your Discord nickname so that your school name is first in brackets, followed by your real name. Staff should do the same. @me in #general to receive the @Spectator role.
Alex D.
ACF

Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Here is the schedule for Saturday. As you can see, we're not double-staffed the whole way through--if you're interested in switching off or scorekeeping for the best college teams in the world, I'd love to have you! Please contact me via forums or Discord DM or email. (You can also staff just for the playoffs, if you're only available in the afternoon.) I should be good on scorekeepers now! However, you are still welcome to spectate the tournament.
Alex D.
ACF

Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

The original post has been updated to reflect the correct UK start time. Thank you to Oli Clarke for noticing!

I've also updated the OP with our liveblogger's(!) handle.
Alex D.
ACF

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Chicago A cleared the field of this tournament, with Harvard and Illinois tying for 2nd. Here are stats.

Our top prelims scorers were Will Alston of Columbia (78.33 PPG), Auroni Gupta of Illinois (71.67 PPG), and William Golden of Texas (66.67 PPG).

Thank you very much to our staffers: Liveblogger Karan Gurazada, Ryan Rosenberg on stats, Matt Bollinger, Jaimie Carlson, Annabelle Yang, Tim Morrison, Natan Holtzman, Ophir Lifshitz, Jordan Brownstein, JinAh Kim, Olivia Murton, Kevin Wang, Tejas Raje, and Bernadette Spencer and Em Gunter in the afternoon. Special thanks to Ryan Rosenberg for seeding this tournament.

This tournament had a rather ambitious schedule and its participants spanned 8 hours of timezones, but I think it worked out alright. I'm sure there are also a lot of things to be said about how spectators were involved at this tournament; I encourage any public feedback so that other tournaments can improve on this.
Alex D.
ACF

Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:43 pm
This tournament had a rather ambitious schedule and its participants spanned 8 hours of timezones, but I think it worked out alright. I'm sure there are also a lot of things to be said about how spectators were involved at this tournament; I encourage any public feedback so that other tournaments can improve on this.
From a UK perspective, I would like to particularly highlight our gratefulness for the efficiency with which this tournament ran, which meant we finished before midnight our time, which made the playoffs in particular much more pleasant than we feared they might be.

Thank you to ACF for running this, and for a solid Regionals set.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
SortesVirgilianae
Lulu

Post by SortesVirgilianae »

I partly just want to echo my team-mate's words in the post above - the efficiency was immensely beneficial for our sleep schedule, and we appreciated it. We were very impressed by the moderating team, who set a high standard of professionalism and efficiency without letting that make them snappy or unkind. Particular thanks to the TD, Alex, for overseeing things so brilliantly!

As a member of a UK team, I was really very grateful that we were invited. I realise that it can't have been an uncontroversial decision to give 2 spots to Oxford and Cambridge in such a small tournament, when there are so many American teams deserving of an invitation. We were delighted to have a chance to compete against top American teams, as such opportunities are normally both rare and expensive. We were also thrilled to be able to bag a few wins in such a strong field!

(Also, I liked the question set a lot, and would perhaps have liked it even more if our opponents had allowed me to hear more literature clues...)
Alexandra Hardwick (she/her)
Cambridge 2013-16
Oxford 2016-21

Editor: ACF Fall 2020 (all literature), ACF Regionals 2022 (world literature, linguistics), ACF Regionals 2023 (European literature, world literature, linguistics), ACF Fall 2023 (European history)