Bluegrass Music Bracket Interest Check

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
meebles127
Tidus

Bluegrass Music Bracket Interest Check

Post by meebles127 »

I'm considering running a bluegrass bracket starting probably around June and am wondering if people would actually be interested in such a thing. I plan on running the gauntlet all the way from the old days of Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers to about the year 2000, with a few exceptions. I am also considering a few instances of pitting different recordings of the same song against each other, mostly for the hell of it, but I also think there's a lot to be gained from comparing different recordings of the same song.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
bkmcavoybickford
Wakka

Re: Bluegrass Music Bracket Interest Check

Post by bkmcavoybickford »

meebles127 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 am I'm considering running a bluegrass bracket starting probably around June and am wondering if people would actually be interested in such a thing. I plan on running the gauntlet all the way from the old days of Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers to about the year 2000, with a few exceptions. I am also considering a few instances of pitting different recordings of the same song against each other, mostly for the hell of it, but I also think there's a lot to be gained from comparing different recordings of the same song.
I would be very interested in such a thing!
Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford.
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

meebles127 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:58 am I'm considering running a bluegrass bracket starting probably around June and am wondering if people would actually be interested in such a thing. I plan on running the gauntlet all the way from the old days of Bill Monroe and the Stanley Brothers to about the year 2000, with a few exceptions. I am also considering a few instances of pitting different recordings of the same song against each other, mostly for the hell of it, but I also think there's a lot to be gained from comparing different recordings of the same song.
Absolutely interested!
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Also interested.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

I'm interested as well
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Why would we stop at 2000 and miss out on contemporary bluegrass music? Either way, sounds fun!
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Steeve Ho You Fat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:08 pm Why would we stop at 2000 and miss out on contemporary bluegrass music? Either way, sounds fun!
This is mostly because I don't feel as if my knowledge of contemporary bluegrass is sufficient to make good judgment calls.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence