WE KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING: 2021 CO Travel thread

Old college threads.
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

WE KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING: 2021 CO Travel thread

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

WE KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING!

Evanston!

With a pocket for my oatmeal and a pocket for my salt, I will be travelling from scenic LaGuardia airport to my friend Naftali's apartment in Logan Square this Friday night. Like Darby Allin, I want to face the "Best in the World," and I know that Chicago is where the "best in the world" play for a jewel in quizbowl's "Triple Crown.'

The last in person quizbowl tournament I attended was in Providence, RI in February 2020. Eating a dollar slice at 5 AM in NYC, I asked Will Alston if he thought the COVID recession would occur. I think he said probably. Makin' History!

Since then, I have mostly been cutting invasive species and carrying heavy logs in various outer boro woodlands.

As the Chloe Zhao to all you "Quiz Nomads," I will keep this thread open. - I would love to capture your profound anecdotes in front of various windswept backgrounds and then narrate them to my cosmopolitan New York friends :lol: .

"I can't go back to the homestead, the shack no longer stands/They said I was unneeded, had no claim to the land/They said "come on get moving, it's the only thing for you"/But how can you keep moving unless you migrate too"
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Re: WE KNOW WHERE WE ARE GOING: 2021 CO Travel thread

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I appear to be 4 miles away from tech. Wish me luck in getting there!
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

I appear to be 4 miles away from tech. Wish me luck in getting there!
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

the one and only DOUG SIMONS and i will be driving from college park to chicago on friday. we will make sure to provide fun anecdotes as we make the journey.
connor mayers
maryland
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Sardorbek Eminov wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:51 pm the one and only DOUG SIMONS and i will be driving from college park to chicago on friday. we will make sure to provide fun anecdotes as we make the journey.
Please deliver Doug safely. Our team is already down one Doug.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Two hours into our journey: Valdosta fades into the distance. Jonathen points out an imposing purple billboard propped on plywood amidst the endless grass. Many tightly-arranged photos sit below the caption "Happy Birthday Zelda!!!!" Zelda is a dog.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'll be traveling solo to CO for the first time in my now-20 visits. I've got a book, but if anyone wants to meet up for a beer and some packet reading or chatter about Florida House Bill 233, I'll be at Smylie Brothers Brewing in Evanston around 6-6:30 p.m. FRIDAY for a couple hours (at least!).

Edit: Important to note the day I'm talking about!

PS--I can read in-progress Delta Burke to folks!

PPS--Screw it, my phone # is 407-252-6965.
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Eight hours in. Unsure if perception of time is slowed from staring at the same Penn Bowl answerline for 90 minutes or because my heart has finally seized from adjacent U-Hauls using turn signals to inflict psychic damage. Arby's nuggets are surprisingly good.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

The descending shroud of night accompanies discussion of Florida's most notable triumph of recent; today's QB league match versus the trivia hounds of perfidious Albion. A recollection: I sit in the passenger seat as the British deploy a quip about me quizzing while driving. Everyone laughs but I. Distracted driving is not humorous.

Presently, Jonathen turns red as I ask him to explain another science question.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Karmic retribution as Jonathen discovers his water bottle fell off the roof of the car 200 miles ago.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

anyone wanna get walker bros in wilmette at like 6 am on saturday
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

As I was driving Doug back from the New Carrollton train station, he looks over at me and declares "It feels good to be back in Middle America." I'm so dumbfounded that it takes me a few moments to respond. I think this is what people mean when they talk about so-called "Ivory Towers."
connor mayers
maryland
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Oh No You Didn't wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:26 pm anyone wanna get walker bros in wilmette at like 6 am on saturday
yes please
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

I spent 50 minutes spoiling the ending of a volleyball anime to Jonathen. The Penn Bowl question remains unwritten.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

As my laptop battery dies, so does my unsaved tossup on the seventh wife of Amenhotep IX. Sidling up to a Hucks in Bowling Green, Jonathen quickly abandons the car, leaving me to keep watch. I find a cool bug. The gas station man forces me to drink sink water, so I purchase a Heath ice cream bar as a second-choice (out of cookie sandwiches). My turn to man the wheel has come. The Heath hits different and I take note of the similarities between the terms "car crash" and "sugar crash".
Last edited by Mahavishnu on Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Sink water down there hits different, can confirm
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

ryanrosenberg wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:47 pm
Oh No You Didn't wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:26 pm anyone wanna get walker bros in wilmette at like 6 am on saturday
yes please
they don't open til 7 =(
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Mahavishnu wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:23 am As my laptop battery dies, so does my unsaved tossup on the seventh wife of Amenhotep IX. Sidling up to a Hucks in Bowling Green, Jonathen quickly abandons the car, leaving me to keep watch. I find a cool bug. The gas station man forces me to drink sink water, so I purchase a Heath ice cream bar as a second-choice (out of cookie sandwiches). My turn to man the wheel has come. The Heath hits different and I take note of the similarities between the "car crash" and "sugar crash".
when does the jonathen liveblog start
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Aaron's Rod wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 am
Mahavishnu wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:23 am As my laptop battery dies, so does my unsaved tossup on the seventh wife of Amenhotep IX. Sidling up to a Hucks in Bowling Green, Jonathen quickly abandons the car, leaving me to keep watch. I find a cool bug. The gas station man forces me to drink sink water, so I purchase a Heath ice cream bar as a second-choice (out of cookie sandwiches). My turn to man the wheel has come. The Heath hits different and I take note of the similarities between the "car crash" and "sugar crash".
when does the jonathen liveblog start
im liveblogging in the CO editors packets as we speak
Eleanor
they/she
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

While Deplorable Jon whittles away changing the phrasing of lead-ins that no one will buzz on, I begin mentally formulating my next poast. Using food as an incentive, I fool Jonathen into navigating me to the nearest McDonald's to write out my fleeting streaks of genius. Failing to enter the dining room, we revert to the drive-through, where I am struck by the fact that they have no McFlurries. A McChicken sounds good, but two sounds better.

Jonathen patronizes a gas station while I patronize my McChickens. Contextually-removed Speed Racer clips are incredibly funny. Too funny. Entering the Circle K to clean sauce from my glasses, I end up leaving with a vanilla Drumstick (still no cookie sandwich) and an uncleaned lens. Jonathen stews silently as I finish my novel. Back on the road.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Doug and I leave my apartment ten minutes before I wanted to. An auspicious start, he notes. As we pull into Wawa to get gas and food, Doug (a native New Jersian) insists on pumping our gas. He figures it out on the second try. Ordering breakfast reminds me of how much I miss Sheetz already.
Last edited by Tippy Martinez on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connor mayers
maryland
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

After drinking an obscene amount of caffeinated beverages yesterday, I am now operating on two hours of sleep. Sadly I-95 is as traffic-clogged down here as it always is in Jersey. Today promises to be a great day for my mob rule once I finally make one.
Douglas R. Simons

National History Bee JV Champion '16
High Tech '18, Captain '17-'18
NYU '22, President '21-'22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

4:08 AM (Fla-freedom hours): once, I was Tracy. I am now beyond the meaning of all time. At some moment I drove, and at some moment my drooping eyelids asked me (who relayed their request to Jonathen) to get the fuck off the road. Neverending asphalt but we find our exit. I briefly considered taking a different exit before learning that exit is a tree.

Thoroughly disgusted by all the
H%gggg%gggg%g%g%%%gggggggggg%gg%%g%%%gg%g%gggg%%%%%%g%2 14K
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Above: my masterpost to rule them all. I apparently fell asleep while crafting it, and was able to barely grab it from the ignominy of nonexistence this morning.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

A historically-informed recreation: "I've barely pulled up to the post-freeway stoplight when, thoroughly disgusted by my life-saving actions, Jonathen orders me to exit the car and switch seats with him. A miracle I'm not a stain."

Back to the present. I awaken, slowly, carefully, much like a newborn lamb. It seems we have arrived, in true Florida fashion, with me largely coasting. Truly, how am I not a stain? A brief inquiry reveals that Jonathen fueled himself with watery piss coffee, and when that ran out, telephonic stimulation, and when that ran out, pure unbridled rage. I count myself fortunate that I remain unadulterated. I hibernate until Jonathen returns, and with bad news: check-in's at noon. We trek to an Einstein Bagle. I am remiss to discover that we are in Evanston. A quartet of pigeons eyes my lox cautiously. Jonathen names one of them Naveed.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

After a quick pit stop on the PA Turnpike, I let Doug take the wheel. He tells me he hasn’t driven in a month and then asks where the accelerator is. Please pray for me.
connor mayers
maryland
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

We are at the point of the trip where I’m accumulating new counties for my mob rule map. The thrill I got from coloring in Butler, Beaver, and Lawrence counties was indescribable. 19 more fresh puppies await me on the rest of this journey.
connor mayers
maryland
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Just FYI that the Chicago Air & Water Show this weekend, so if you hear planes going so low you're like "is this a terrorist attack," that's what that is.
Alex D.
ACF

Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Doug, as we drive over the Cuyahoga River: “hey let’s throw a match into it!”
connor mayers
maryland
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Y'all.

Please don't die driving to a quiz bowl tournament. Get some goddamn sleep before day-long roadtrips.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

jonpin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am Y'all.

Please don't die driving to a quiz bowl tournament. Get some goddamn sleep before day-long roadtrips.
This post is endorsed by the CO Editing Team.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

jonpin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am Y'all.

Thankfully I was a bit more well rested and let Doug sleep for the first couple of hours. He’s also a much better driver than I gave him credit for!
connor mayers
maryland
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Sardorbek Eminov wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:37 am Doug, as we drive over the Cuyahoga River: “hey let’s throw a match into it!”
Rewrite the book and rule the pages
Saving face, secured in faith
Bury, burn the waste behind you
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

The game is played on terrain.
The one who controls the terrain, controls the game.
So at CO, who will stand taller
Than the one wearing a green collar
And holds three letters (i,K,D) to his name
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

long time lurker, first time poster

the perfect complement to mob-rule is travelmapping, the much more exclusive (and obsessive) club of people who track the highway segments they’ve driven

i added 795.96 miles and 24 counties for 2021 acf nationals, including 5.8% of US30 (much of which was formerly the very cool Lincoln Highway)
Last edited by Cody on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

Sardorbek Eminov wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 am We are at the point of the trip where I’m accumulating new counties for my mob rule map. The thrill I got from coloring in Butler, Beaver, and Lawrence counties was indescribable. 19 more fresh puppies await me on the rest of this journey.
It has been heartwarming to see Connor get so excited about the new counties

EDIT: Please do not worry about me at the wheel, I would not be driving if I thought it was unsafe for me to be doing so.
Douglas R. Simons

National History Bee JV Champion '16
High Tech '18, Captain '17-'18
NYU '22, President '21-'22
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I think I have had the longest CO journey of anyone here, having left my home twelve days ago. Right now I am at Carsten's apartment, waiting for Andrew to pick us up for the long drive through Wisconsin (where I can pick up 14 new counties). I was under the impression that Andrew would arrive between 10 and 11 AM. It is 11:54 AM and it does not appear that Andrew has left his home yet.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
LeoLaw
Lulu

Post by LeoLaw »

Mahavishnu wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:09 pm I spent 50 minutes spoiling the ending of a volleyball anime to Jonathen.
Is it Haikyu!!?
Leo
New College of Florida '19
University of Florida ‘25
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

Doug and I have a few hours left in Indiana, and we’ve now graciously decided to pick up Chandler from O’Hare. We took a detour through some Williams County, Ohio backroads where all the roads were named after numbers and letters. It was spectacular.
connor mayers
maryland
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I am at the Culver's in Tomah, which both Andrew and Rob separately remembered is on Wittig Road. As Andrew pulled in he noted that this Culver's has the hottest parking lot in the world, which appears to be true.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

This PHL pizza slaps tbh
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

In city of Chicago I am somehow now father drom Evanston please send help
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

I have now joined the Mayers/Simons caravan, saving me either an expensive Uber or a long bus ride. On to Evanston.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island
Rikku

Post by The Sawing-Off of Manhattan Island »

My flight left almost an hour late and arrived 10 minutes earlier than the original arrival time, saving me some travel headaches and firmly cementing me as the protagonist of reality
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Eating a momo...yearning (i wish my girl could have came)....waiting around in the cavernous and gauche Laguardia terminal....reading Mariarosa Dalla Costa...drinking ginger ale (only thing i drink on planes).

Sitting in the blue...line
Watching all the people
I'll feel much better on the other side
I'll thumb a ride
But we're not in Gorham NH, so i'm riding the rails like Stobe to Logan Square.

Back in Chicago, the city of trivia.
Remember who's shaping the terrain.

What are your predictions for tomorrow? Where should i go for breakfast?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Cody wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:26 pm long time lurker, first time poster

the perfect complement to mob-rule is travelmapping, the much more exclusive (and obsessive) club of people who track the highway segments they’ve driven

i added 795.96 miles and 24 counties for 2021 acf nationals, including 5.8% of US30 (much of which was formerly the very cool Lincoln Highway)
Ooh, I'm familiar with travel mapping (and keep meaning to record and submit an update for end of summer 2021) but didn't know of mob rule. I'll have to spend some time marking that when I get a chance.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Riding a bus on a muggy morning. I'd love to just walk around in the woods today but i'll be in Evanston instead. By the time I get to Evanston, she'll be....
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14