2021 ACF Fall - Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
katherine
Lulu

2021 ACF Fall - Specific Question Discussion

Post by katherine »

Specific questions and errata from 2021 ACF Fall can be discussed here. I have incorporated feedback from the sites and the packets can be found here.
Katherine Lei
Montgomery Blair HS '20
MIT '24
db0wman
Wakka

Re: 2021 ACF Fall - Specific Question Discussion

Post by db0wman »

There were two bonus easy parts with the answerline "banana" in packets A and C (which went poorly at my site since we skipped packet B). One of the parts played comically easily by giving "peelable yellow fruit" while the other proved difficult for several rooms, only giving "____ Republic".

Overall, it would've been nice if the set had been a little bit easier, but I understand that it's difficult to produce a playable set for both complete novices and experienced high school players transitioning to the college game.
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

The bonus on Battle of Lake Erie that also accepts Put-In-Bay mentions Put-In-Bay in the question.

The tossup on magnetic fields that accepts nuclear magnetic resonance imaging should have an answerline directive on "NMR"

The tossup on David Foster Wallace should have an answerline directive on "DFW"

The figure skating bonus where they asked for this country as a hard part name drops someone named "Guillaume", which makes it decidedly not hard.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
VelarApproximant
Lulu

Post by VelarApproximant »

Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm The figure skating bonus where they asked for this country as a hard part name drops someone named "Guillaume", which makes it decidedly not hard.
Hilariously, my team and I heard "Papadakis" and answered "Greece."
Luke E. Henson
Colorado Early Colleges Aurora Class of 2021
Cornell College Class of 2025

Jack of all categories, indefatigable Jeopardy! viewer, goonerism spuru
Bhagwan Shammbhagwan
Wakka

Post by Bhagwan Shammbhagwan »

The Bill Clinton bonus part mentions Brady Bill in the lead-in and has Brady Bill as an answer.
Hari Parameswaran
Beavercreek High School '19
Georgia Tech '23
ACF, PACE
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Bhagwan Shammbhagwan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:22 pm The Bill Clinton bonus part mentions Brady Bill in the lead-in and has Brady Bill as an answer.
As someone who only staffed this tournament, this is my only real complaint.

Otherwise, there were several questions I found really enjoyable, which I'll enumerate sometime this week.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
hiraeth
Kimahri

Post by hiraeth »

I thought it was an interesting choice to have packet L's bonus 20 include a part about aliyah after packet A's had defined it in bonus 8.
Sydney Hsin
Valley Christian HS '19
Carnegie Mellon '23+
L.H.O.O.Q.
Wakka

Post by L.H.O.O.Q. »

Lighthouse Expert Elinor DeWire wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm The figure skating bonus where they asked for this country as a hard part name drops someone named "Guillaume", which makes it decidedly not hard.
In H. Editors 1, Sarah Benner wrote: [H] Surya Bonaly is a Black figure skater from this country. Guillaume Cizeron and Gabriella Papadakis, who hold numerous all-time records in ice dancing, are a team representing this country.
ANSWER: France [accept the French Republic or République française]
I had meant to search more meaningfully for a hard part to this bonus. I had thought that maybe people's ling-fraud sensors would be thrown off by the name "Gabriella Papadakis." For what it's worth, the experienced quizbowlers who were writing, editing, and playtesting the questions seemed to indicate that this part was tough to fraud.

However, as the hard part of the bonus, this was intended to demand non-trivial knowledge on figure skating. It's not a part I should have made guessable in the first place. I think there's an argument to be made here that the fraudability of this part ruins the integrity of the entire bonus, but in the interest of sticking to what's relevant: sorry for the poor judgment there. Hopefully it didn't have any meaningful impact on any players' experience playing the questions.
Sarah Benner
Avon HS 2013-17, Purdue 2017-21
Unofficial QB Advisor for Purdue, Ohio State, and the State of Indiana

May refer to herself in the third person.
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

Packet J wrote:[E] The "omega" in the expression for the quantum harmonic oscillator's Hamiltonian represents this quantity, which
equals two pi over the period of oscillation. This quantity is measured in hertz.
ANSWER: angular frequency
This is a very minor point, but hopefully it will clear up confusion for someone. Hertz (Hz, cycles per second) is the SI unit of (ordinary) frequency (symbolized f or nu), not angular frequency (symbolized omega), which is measured in inverse seconds (implicitly radians per second). While these both have dimensions of 1/time, they're not the same unit because they differ by 2 pi: omega = 2pi f.

This is why Planck's constant is sometimes written with units of J/Hz, while hbar (the reduced Planck constant: h/2pi) has units of J s. The energy of a photon can equivalently be written E = h f or E = hbar omega.
Graham R.

Maryland