Paired Tossups and Bonuses

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Paired Tossups and Bonuses

Post by Important Bird Area »

Yes, we expect to continue this policy going forward.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ehtna
Lulu

Post by Ehtna »

Speaking solely as a staffer here, paired tossups and bonuses have been my favorite part of the NAQT online question system and some of the housewrites following the trend. The extra mental capacity that gets saved by not having to switch tabs and/or keep track of two separate copies of the packet at once is extremely underappreciated and almost certainly has had a non-significant role in improving my tournament experiences this year and last year. I would highly recommend any future packet assemblers and editors to pair their tossups and bonuses.
Ethan Ashbrook [he/him]
Uni Lab 2020
Minnesota 2024
matthewspatrick
Lulu

Post by matthewspatrick »

Ehtna wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:53 pm Speaking solely as a staffer here, paired tossups and bonuses have been my favorite part of the NAQT online question system and some of the housewrites following the trend. The extra mental capacity that gets saved by not having to switch tabs and/or keep track of two separate copies of the packet at once is extremely underappreciated and almost certainly has had a non-significant role in improving my tournament experiences this year and last year. I would highly recommend any future packet assemblers and editors to pair their tossups and bonuses.
Seconded, with one proviso.

In the print/PDF media for NAQT questions, I implore NAQT to please please PLEASE put some sort of separator between cycles, such as a horizontal line. This would make it much easier to handle the breaks between cycles, and to maximize the benefit from TU-bonus cycle pairing.
Patrick Matthews
University of Pennsylvania 1989-94
NAQT Member Emeritus and co-founder
I do not speak for NAQT in any way, shape, or form.