SMART ('22-'23): Call for Writers and Preliminary Announcement

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
eygotem
Wakka

SMART ('22-'23): Call for Writers and Preliminary Announcement

Post by eygotem »

I am pleased to announce the Show-Me Academic Regular Tournament (SMART), a high school regular-difficulty question set that will be available for mirrors starting in fall 2022.

The set will be edited by an experienced team of Missouri quiz bowl players and alumni. The subject distribution will include 4/4 literature (distributed by genre), 4/4 history, 4/4 science, 3/3 fine arts, 2.5/2.5 RMPSS, and 2.5/2.5 other.

We are seeking writers through an open application. High schoolers are welcome to apply, and we encourage less-experienced writers to apply as well. You do not need to be affiliated with the state of Missouri (although in some cases we may have a slight preference for writers from Missouri).

To apply to write, simply submit one tossup and one bonus to ericyin AT gmail DOT com. Set the subject line to “SMART Writer Application,” and attach the application as a text file or Google doc.

Questions can be of any subject, but should be new and specifically written for the application. They are primarily a show of commitment rather than a show of writing ability; however, in the case that more writers apply than we have room for, we will evaluate applications based on clue choice and quality of prose. Applications should be submitted before 11:59 PM on January 10th.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the process. We look forward to seeing your submissions!
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: SMART ('22-'23): Call for Writers and Preliminary Announcement

Post by quizbowllee »

I don't guess there are trademarks on these things.... But, West Point has - in the past - written sets using the acronym "SMART." And, we plan to again in the near future.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
eygotem
Wakka

Re: SMART ('22-'23): Call for Writers and Preliminary Announcement

Post by eygotem »

There’s 10 days left before the deadline, so if you would like to be a writer, get your application in soon!
June Yin (they/them)
Ladue 2021
WUSTL 2026(?)