2022 NAQT SCT @ MIT (2/5/2022)

Old college threads.
SirMrGuy
Lulu

2022 NAQT SCT @ MIT (2/5/2022)

Post by SirMrGuy »

I am pleased to announce that MIT will be hosting the New England site of the 2022 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 5, 2022. I, Steven Liu, will be acting as tournament director.

The tournament will take place in buildings 2 and 4 of MIT. A campus map can be found here.

Questions
Each packet consists of 22 tossups and 22 bonuses. Division I and Division II play on separate sets of questions. Eligibility rules can be found here.

Fees and Discounts
Base fees: $145 base fee for the first team from a school; $120 for second or subsequent teams
- $10 discount per working buzzer system (must accommodate at least eight players)
- $40 discount per experienced moderator
- $20 discount (per team) for schools new to quizbowl (neither competed in nor hosted SCT, ICT, or CCCT in 2020 or 2021)

Payment will be taken at check-in on February 5, either by cash or a check made out to "MIT Quiz Bowl Team".

Registration
This tournament uses NAQT's online registration system. Register here.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you next month!
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Re: 2022 NAQT SCT @ MIT (2/5/2022)

Post by SirMrGuy »

I've sent logistics emails to all teams and staffers. If you think you should have received an email and haven't, let me know.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

This happened. Brown A won the DI field through a finals sequence that for quizbowl's sake I hope never has to be repeated. Yale B cleared the DII field with a perfect record. Congratulations to both teams, and thank you to all the staffers and players for participating! A special thanks as well to our external staffers (in no particular order) Stephen Eltinge, Olivia Murton, Michael Kearney, Josh Xiong, Jonchee Kao, Kevin Wang, and Eric Lu. This tournament absolutely could not have run as quickly as it did without all of you.

Stats are here. If there are any issues, let me know and I will sort them out as soon as I can.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

I was not expecting to experience a new finals structure in my 15th year of tournament attendance, but today I did! I think today's handling of the finals sequence was a great show of teamwork from all the players and organizers, and everyone involved should be proud of it. Even if we also hope it never happens again!
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
Howemilton
Lulu

Post by Howemilton »

what happened
Alex Howe
TJHSST 2014-2018
William & Mary 2018-2022
machgielis
Lulu

Post by machgielis »

Before the last round of the third round robin, all four teams were tied for first. Some of us were opposed to having the last round determine the two teams that would play a one-game final, and Steven suggested playing a fourth round robin. Since this had the potential to put us in the same situation later, the teams, the TD, and NAQT agreed to do "advantaged semifinals" (don't let this ever become a thing) after the last round. In each of the semifinals, a team with 5 wins would have the advantage against a team with 4 wins.
Michał Gerasimiuk, Yale '23, Stanford '(this decade, I hope)

"But people today instead separate knowing and [buzzing] into two distinct tasks to perform and think that one must first know and only then can one [buzz]. They say, 'Now I will perform the task of knowing, by studying and learning. Once I have attained real knowledge, I then will pursue the task of [buzzing].' And so, till the end of their days, they never [buzz], and till the end of their days, they never know." - Wang Yangming
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

machgielis wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:13 pm ...and Steven suggested playing a fourth round robin...
As a minor clarification/correction, the suggestion of a fourth round robin occurred a little before I knew the teams would end up all being 4-4 after round 8 and was initially separate from the discussion about finals sequences (some teams had talked to me about it during lunch, and it was only like 2:45 when I asked NAQT about it during round 8). The rest of the description is accurate to my recollection.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23