*DATE CHANGE* SnowCAT at Carleton College (3/5/22, IS 206)

Post high school tournament announcements and results here, along with logistical information. Interest checks, opinions, and other in-depth discussion of tournaments should go in the forum below.
meekerdouglas
Lulu

*DATE CHANGE* SnowCAT at Carleton College (3/5/22, IS 206)

Post by meekerdouglas »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce that Carleton College will be hosting our annual high school tournament, SnowCAT, on Saturday, March 5th, 2022 either in Northfield, Minnesota or online, depending on the COVID situation.

We will begin at 9:00AM CST, with a general meeting at 8:45AM. [IF ONLINE] Attending teams do not need to have premium Zoom accounts; more information about technological logistics will be sent to registered teams.

Here is the fee structure for our tournament:

Conduct and Expectations:

[IF IN PERSON] All players must be vaccinated and masked at all times during the tournament. Additional requirements such as a booster may be implemented depending on the state of the pandemic and the school's policies, all of which will be updated in this forum post as the tournament nears.

[IF ONLINE] All players will be required to have their video cameras turned on during gameplay. If there are any issues with meeting this requirement, please contact me at [email protected].

Furthermore, all players are expected to abide by the Carleton Code of Conduct and the PACE Code of Conduct.

Base fee: $90 per team
-$5 for a working quiz bowl buzzer system
-$20 per each moderator provided
-$50 for teams new to quiz bowl (MN Knowledge Bowl does not count — if you have only played Knowledge Bowl before you will still receive this discount)
-$10 for traveling over 100 miles to reach the tournament

This fee will change slightly if the tournament is held online and will be updated if so on this post. If, for whatever reason, you can't pay this fee, email me at [email protected] and we can renegotiate a lower fee.

Nationals Qualification: We have Platinum certification from PACE, meaning the top 25% of the field will qualify for the NSC, to be held June 11-12th near Chicago, IL.

We are currently instituting a cap of 18 teams. In addition, there will be a cap of 4 teams registered per school, with additional teams being placed on a wait list. We anticipate being able to accept more teams.

Teams can register at any point up until February 26th through NAQT's website at this URL: https://www.naqt.com/registration/regis ... &type=TEAM

Payment: We cannot and will not accept money orders, PayPal, or credit cards. If you need an invoice, please email me. Checks should be made out to "Carleton College".

Staffers: If you wish to staff for this tournament and are not affiliated with a participating team, and have had prior online moderating/scorekeeping experience, please email me at [email protected]. Staffers will be paid $40 for the day.

Good luck in your seasons, and we look forward to seeing you in February in some capacity!
Last edited by meekerdouglas on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Meeker
Carleton College ('24) | Club Officer '20-present
a purple night
Kimahri

Re: SnowCAT at Carleton College (2/19/22, IS 206)

Post by a purple night »

If this is changed to online, how far in advance will there be a notice letting people know?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
meekerdouglas
Lulu

Re: *DATE CHANGE* SnowCAT at Carleton College (3/5/22, IS 206)

Post by meekerdouglas »

a purple night wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:21 pm If this is changed to online, how far in advance will there be a notice letting people know?
I would say a week in advance at the latest. However, it's really up to Carleton and they haven't given us much information yet on what things might look like for the rest of the term. I'll update this forum post as soon as I hear.
Douglas Meeker
meekerdouglas
Lulu

Post by meekerdouglas »

As of now, this tournament will still be happening IN PERSON. So far, 8 teams have registered, so we have plenty of room for more! I'll update this forum if we have to change to online, but in person should be a go (as it's been approved by Carleton).
Douglas Meeker
meekerdouglas
Lulu

Post by meekerdouglas »

SnowCAT ran successfully today with 10 teams. Big thank you to staffers, those from Carleton and especially those from UMN (Jahnavi Nayak and Arul Belhe). You guys made the tournament run quickly and effectively, so I'm super grateful for that! Thanks also to the coaches for the logistical/leadership roles you play for the teams and for being patient with me as a first-time TD. Finally, thanks to the players for bringing energy and focus to the games.

Congrats to Wayzata A, who won the tournament with a record of 9-0. Wayzata B took second with 8-1, and St. Paul Academy took third with 6-3. Detailed individual and team stats can be found here.

Any feedback from coaches or players about the tournament can be sent to [email protected].
Douglas Meeker