Hypothetical New Mexico 2021-2022 Mini-Season?

The comparisons and discussion forum for North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii and California.
dreamchaser
Lulu

Hypothetical New Mexico 2021-2022 Mini-Season?

Post by dreamchaser »

Although I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, as I was thinking about a potential collegiate novice tournament for New Mexico and West Texas, I also thought about the possibility of holding a high school novice tournament (since pyramidal quizbowl does not presently exist in area high schools) at the University of New Mexico. However, I have several thoughts about this.

1. I'm unsure as to whether it would be better to hold a high school novice tournament in the fall or now.

2. I don't know whether I should order a NAQT question set (which, if the tournament was before HSNCT, could technically make the tournament a qualifier for HSNCT?) or use an uncleared question set from hsquizbowl.org. Related to this,

3. I'm uncertain as to whether holding any high school tournament in New Mexico, especially in the late Spring, could be seen as a de facto New Mexico State Championship. Although the NAQT website says that "junior varsity tournaments or other events that restrict teams or players based on ability" are not qualifying, I'm essentially holding an Introductory/Novice High School Invitational by virtue of a lack of pyramidal quizbowl in the area, which I've taken to mean that using an Introductory Invitational packet would be more appropriate. Unless there are intramural competitions or nonpyramidal quizbowl tournaments that have been going on that I'm not aware of, the idea that a high school could be offered a spot at HSNCT with only a month to a month and a half's worth of preparation is an interesting possibility (even though they could decline it). If you don't intend on restricting teams or players based on ability for your tournament, but use an Introductory Invitational packet as pyramidal quizbowl is new to the area, and no other NAQT/PACE-format quizbowl tournaments exist in the state, is any high school tournament I hold with NAQT questions and no skill restrictions a de facto 2022 New Mexico State Championship?

4. Running a collegiate tournament for the first time would already be a major effort. Holding a high school tournament as well might be too much, without major delegation to people experienced with quizbowl (none that I'm aware of in the area), although holding them at the same time could work? (they would still be separate tournaments/divisions, just happening in sync). To elaborate,

5. Taking into account likely "University of New Mexico Spring Collegiate Novice Invitational" dates (April 30th, with May 7th or May 14th possible but immediately before and after Finals week) and school calendars of schools who attended tournaments during a previous attempt to set up pyramidal quizbowl in New Mexico, a hypothetical "University of New Mexico Spring (Introductory?) High School Invitational" would likely be held on May 21st, although it could be held earlier depending on when the Collegiate Novice Invitational is held. They could possibly be held on the same day, although I'm unsure if they should be held synchronously (in terms of opening meeting, lunch, and closing meeting; any final rounds would have to be sequential) or if there should be an offset for more streamlined opening/closing meetings and final. If you think the workload of holding these two tournaments could be handled, do you think they should be held on separate dates or the same (May 14th is a possibility)? Should they be held synchronously or offset? If you think they would be best held synchronously, what advice do you have for staff recruitment? Related to this,

6. Should the (Introductory?) High School Invitational focus on being just that, or should it take into account being a (possible) HSNCT qualifier and be held at an earlier date than May 14th or May 21st? An issue with this is that an earlier date would shorten the already short period of time to prepare for this invitational, even if it would give more time to prepare for HSNCT. I don't expect that any school would go simply because it seems unlikely for someone to get involved in an extracurricular they've never heard of before in the last fourth of the school year, do well in a regional competition, and then decide to go to nationals in Chicago, unless quizbowl was already present (intramural or non-pyramidal) and was very popular and/or the winning team is very enthusiastic about going to Nationals.

What are your thoughts?
Jason Zhuang
Del Norte High School (San Diego, CA) '21
University of New Mexico '25
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Hypothetical New Mexico 2021-2022 Mini-Season?

Post by Stained Diviner »

I think it would be good to have some tournaments before May 2022, though the logistics could be challenging.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

It's 2023, Dave...
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Stained Diviner
Auron

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody really care?
If so, I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Halinaxus
Wakka

Post by Halinaxus »

Stained Diviner wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:15 pm I think it would be good to have some tournaments before May 2022, though the logistics could be challenging.
For the record, a tournament did in fact happen before May 2022. And what's more, it appears to have spawned a fledgling Southern New Mexico circuit.
Reilly Melville
Chaska High School '22
Purdue University '26
Stained Diviner
Auron

Good work! To be clear, I was mocking the forum moderators, not anybody associated with the great state of New Mexico.
David Reinstein