2022 NAQT ICT: Division II specific question discussion

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2022 NAQT ICT: Division II specific question discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This is your specific-question discussion thread for the 2022 Division II ICT set. Tossups from the Division II set were used for the high school division of the 2022 IPNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
meebles127
Tidus

Re: 2022 NAQT ICT: Division II specific question discussion

Post by meebles127 »

I have been told there was a bonus on Paul Farmer. Can I see this?
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
Important Bird Area

2022 DII ICT round 7 wrote:Tracy Kidder's book Mountains Beyond Mountains calls this founder of Partners in Health "a man who would cure the world." For 10 points each—

A. Name this medical anthropologist who died in 2022.

answer: Paul (Edward) Farmer

B. Farmer did much of his work in this country. Wade Davis's book The Serpent and the Rainbow is about the process of making zombies in this country.

answer: Haiti (or Republic of Haiti or Republique d'Ha\"iti or Repiblik d' Ayiti)

C. In 1999 Farmer won an award named for this anthropologist, who wrote a book based on interviews with fa'afafine and others on the island of Ta'u.

answer: Margaret Mead
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
meebles127
Tidus

Post by meebles127 »

Important Bird Area wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:40 pm
2022 DII ICT round 7 wrote:Tracy Kidder's book Mountains Beyond Mountains calls this founder of Partners in Health "a man who would cure the world." For 10 points each—

A. Name this medical anthropologist who died in 2022.

answer: Paul (Edward) Farmer

B. Farmer did much of his work in this country. Wade Davis's book The Serpent and the Rainbow is about the process of making zombies in this country.

answer: Haiti (or Republic of Haiti or Republique d'Ha\"iti or Repiblik d' Ayiti)

C. In 1999 Farmer won an award named for this anthropologist, who wrote a book based on interviews with fa'afafine and others on the island of Ta'u.

answer: Margaret Mead
Whoever wrote this question has made my year.
Em Gunter
Club President, University of Virginia
Tournament Director, 2023 Chicago Open
Assistant Tournament Director, 2022 and 2023 ACF Nationals

Author of: My Guide to High School Outreach and So You Want to Buy a Buzzer System

"That's got to be one of the most useful skills anyone has ever gotten from quizbowl." -John Lawrence
joshxu
Wakka

Post by joshxu »

Can I see the tossup on the 1932 presidential election in Round 9? While playing it live I registered the first line as saying (paraphrased, not verbatim) "this election ended the Fourth Party System" and buzzed with 1928, for which I was negged and subsequently protested. My reasoning as given in the official protest was that the 1932 election is considered to have opened the Fifth Party System and thus would have been the first election of that system, making the 1928 election the final one within the Fourth Party System (as it would be implausible for 1932 to have been part of both the Fourth and Fifth systems). Since the protest ended up being moot, may I ask whether it would've been upheld or rejected?

I heard this tossup again when spectating IPNCT, and the wording of the first line there was "this was the first election after the Fourth Party System". I'm not sure if the wording was changed between ICT and IPNCT or if I completely misheard the tossup the original time I played it, but under this wording I believe 1932 would be the unambiguous correct answer.
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
Important Bird Area

2022 DII ICT round 9 wrote:This election marked the end of the Fourth Party System in the U.S. A candidate in this election first used the song "Happy Days Are Here Again" as his party's unofficial anthem. The winning candidate in this election attacked his opponent for signing the (*) Hawley-Smoot Tariff and suppressing the Bonus Army. For 10 points--name this year in which Herbert Hoover lost re-election and Franklin Roosevelt won the presidency.
This was ambiguous as-written (does "marked the end of" mean the last election under the old party system, or the first under new conditions?). I believe the protest would have been upheld had it not been mooted.

For Sunday we revised the text as follows:
the version used in the 2022 IPNCT wrote:This was the first election after the Fourth Party System in the U.S....
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

dni
Lulu

Post by dni »

Could I see the science common-link on "catastrophe"?
Dan Ni
Langley '19
Cornell '23
Important Bird Area

2022 DII ICT round 13 wrote:This noun names the phase in dynamic instability of microtubules that alternates with rescue phases, and in which depolymerization-dominates. This noun partly names a prediction of infinite radiated energy made by the Rayleigh-Jeans law at (*) "ultraviolet" frequencies. For 10 points—what noun also names the sudden violent floods and other events that changed the Earth in a theory contrasted with gradualism?

answer: catastrophe(s) (accept catastrophe phase(s) or ultraviolet catastrophe; accept catastrophism)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF