SCOP Novice 12 available 2022-23

This is the only forum where you should post and discuss offers to have your tournament set hosted at other locations.
TheDoctor
Rikku

SCOP Novice 12 available 2022-23

Post by TheDoctor »

The SCOP Novice 12 set will be available for mirroring from 15 October 2022 through April 2023. In the past, the set has typically stopped running whenever prospective mirrors have run out, so if you want to use the set after the first week of April, it's best to get in contact as early as possible. Previous years' questions are available on our website and posted in the archive.

The set includes eleven rounds of 20/20 (tossups/bonuses) and a half-packet of 10/10 replacement questions. Tossups are powermarked. Bonuses have three parts, which are designed to be read one part at a time. If you are planning to use this set in a non-standard format (e.g. if you're planning to run your tournament in timed format or with more than two teams per room, or if you want to use a local match format that only uses bonuses in the second half, etc.), you must confirm this with me prior to receiving the set or incur financial penalties.

Distribution
SCOP Novice's distribution per round is:

5/5 Science (including 1/1 non-computational math)
4/4 Literature
4/4 History
2/2 Religion and Mythology
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Geography
1/1 Current Events, Philosophy, and Social Science
1/1 Pop Culture

Fees
The fee to use SCOP Novice is $11/team (including house teams). There is a $1/team discount for complete statistics (in SQBS or Neg5 format with complete individual statistics and with round report enabled for SQBS) posted promptly after the tournament. There is an additional $2/team discount if you choose to email or snail mail your raw scoresheets to me for the calculation of conversion statistics by topic. If your tournament is in need of further discounts, especially if you're in a developing circuit, feel free to inquire about lowering your mirror fee.

Illinois
SCOP Novice is not available to be mirrored in Illinois, where the set is used exclusively for the IHSSBCA Novice tournament series. I'm also the Novice manager for the IHSSBCA, so if you are interested in hosting an IHSSBCA Novice site, please let me know.

Prospective mirror hosts, or anyone with questions, may contact me at [email protected].
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
mfincher
Lulu

Re: SCOP Novice 12 available 2022-23

Post by mfincher »

I've e-mailed the address in the post twice to request the opportunity to purchase the mirror. Is there something else I should be doing instead?
Matt Fincher
Greater Atlanta Christian School
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Current Mirrors
10/15 IL statewide mirror: IHSSBCA Novice at Auburn (Rockford), Barrington, Granite City, Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort), and Mattoon
10/22 VA: Blacksburg HS
10/22 AL: East Lawrence MS
10/29 MI: Detroit Catholic Central HS
10/29 IA: Iowa Quiz Bowl League at Ankeny
11/19 SC: Dorman HS
12/03 GA: Innovation Academy
12/17 MD: Richard Montgomery HS
02/11 CA: California Cup (site TBD)
03/11 MO: Missouri Academic Coaches Association
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Questions that were publicly posted after this past weekend's tournaments are being replaced, and delivery of the set for this week will be delayed by that process. If you are hosting an event on SCOP Novice, please remind all attendees (both players and coaches) that they should not post any topics, question content, or question text anywhere online. The set will be played through March of next year. Please do not ruin it for future tournaments.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
powerneg
Lulu

Post by powerneg »

I have contacted the email that was mentioned in this post twice about requesting a mirror of this set. Should I be doing something else?
Neev Sahgal
'22 Middlesex
'26 Darien High
2021 & 2022 MSNCT All Star, 2023 HSNCT Freshman Rising Star

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both." - Niccolo Machiavelli
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

The set has been posted. Thanks to everyone who mirrored and played it this year!
Kristin Strey
SCOP