Boston University

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
BiyangZ
Kimahri

Boston University

Post by BiyangZ »

Hello everyone,
I am a newly admitted freshman into Boston University and apparently, the quiz bowl team in Boston went defunct around 2010. I was thinking about restarting it. However, I am not sure how to sign up for tournaments through a school and was also wondering what was the best way to stay up to date on tournaments. Also, if anyone is going to Boston University and would like to join, please contact me through my email, [email protected].
Biyang Zhang
Boston University -> University of Michigan 26'
Okemos High School 22'
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Boston University

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hi Biyang,

Welcome to the forums!

When it comes to registering for tournaments, you mostly just email the tournament director per the instructions in the tournament announcement.

Most tournaments are announced here on the forums, specifically under the Collegiate Announcements subforum. There's also the Tournament Database on this site.

The biggest things team struggle with starting is launching as an official organization, which allows for things like hosting tournaments on campus. Boston University seems (from the outside) to have a fairly straight forward organization registration policy; their website has that information. It sounds like you may need to have four other members to register as an organization. They even have instructions on how to create your bylaws. Uniquely, it seems like BU does not require an organization to be sponsored by a faculty member.

If you are not approved as an organization for your university, you might not be able to officially represent them in competitions. For stand-alone tournaments, this will largely not be an issue - email the Tournament Director and ask them if it's okay if you play under a team pseudonym ("Boston Scholars" or something like that).

You might want to reach out to teams in the area you can travel to that you see are hosting and reach out to them to see if they can help you out by reducing entry fees. Again, this will likely be easier for independent events rather than those run as qualifiers for NAQT, ACF, or, in the future, IQBT.

The NAQT Rising Freshmen list is a good way to find other potentially interested people. I don't see anyone that lists Boston U as their college off the 2021 graduating class, but there's two on their 2020 list. NAQT might also be able to help you with the 2022 document pre-release if you ask them very nicely at [email protected].

I hope this helps! Post any other questions you can think of and I'm sure you'll get help.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
BiyangZ
Kimahri

Post by BiyangZ »

Thank you Fred for the information as it is really helpful. A general question I have is wondering which "area" Boston U plays in for NAQT quizbowl tournaments. I looked at some past tournaments and find that they play in the New England Sectional and I want to confirm whether that is correct. Also, I was curious to if there was a discord server for quiz bowl in that New England area or Massachusetts that I can join.
Biyang Zhang
Boston University -> University of Michigan 26'
Okemos High School 22'
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

That's correct (although note that in general we don't have geographic limits on which teams attend which SCT sites- the usual practice is "whichever site is the most convenient for your team to travel to").
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred