MEQBA Northern New England Season Starter Tournament @ Gould Academy (9/25, KICKOFF Novice)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nicole.
Rikku

MEQBA Northern New England Season Starter Tournament @ Gould Academy (9/25, KICKOFF Novice)

Post by nicole. »

I am pleased to announce, in affiliation with the Gould Academy Academic World Quest Team, the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance Northern New England Season Starter, in-person, in Bethel, Oxford County, Maine! All important information is below.

The tournament will be directed by myself.

Location and Dates

The NNE Season Starter will be hosted at Gould Academy, 39 Church Street, Bethel, Maine, right off Route 2 and Route 26. We chose this location since it’s extremely central within Northern New England, being easily accessible from Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

The tournament will take place on Sunday, September 25th from 9:30 AM to 5 PM, with registration opening at 8:45 AM.

Questions/Format

The Northern New England Season Starter will be using the KICKOFF Novice Set. We will be using the standard 20/20 format and NAQT rules, but there will be no game clock. Housewrites do not come with Computational Math Content.

Teams will be fairly placed into preliminary brackets before being re-seeded for playoffs. Teams will be guaranteed a minimum of 8 games; teams will be expected to play all available rounds, even if your team is not in contention for the championship.

Teams

There are a maximum of 6 players per team, four of whom may play at once. If you wish to bring more players than that, please register additional teams. There are no exceptions to this rule. Teams may play short, with one player as a minimum. Nobody may switch teams during the tournament, such as from “A” to “B” or otherwise.

The field is capped at 12 teams. You will be placed onto a waitlist if you miss the cutoff, and the field may expand if we get more staff.

We are happy to allow pseudonymous teams and teams not directly sponsored by their district to register. However, we do have certain requirements for these teams, so please contact us via phone or email prior to registration and we will be happy to work with you.

It is not mandatory for a coach, parent, or adult to attend with their team; however, it is highly recommended.

Readers, Buzzers, and Question Sets

Each school is required to bring one reader for every two teams attending a tournament. Schools that cannot bring readers will be charged a $30 fee per team. Keep in mind this does not have to be a coach! It can be a player who would rather read, an extra player, a parent, an alumnus, someone’s friend, sibling, or first cousin once removed or anyone else that can read and scorekeep. Readers and Scorekeepers will be required to have a laptop computer on them to read the packets as they are digitally distributed.

Buzzer discounts will be offered to the amount of $15 per buzzer set.

Prizes

Trophies will be awarded to the top 2 teams after each tournament and the individual with the highest average Points per Game overall. The eight or so high scorers at each tournament will be awarded book prizes.

Fees

The fee structure is as follows:

$65 per team per tournament
$30 additional per team per tournament if no readers are brought
$0 additional if 1 reader is brought
-$25 for each additional reader
-$15 for each buzzer set

As we are in the process of getting officially incorporated, we will have payment details ready closer to the tournament.

Payment is due the morning of the event.

Registration

In order to register, fill out this form. Once you receive a confirmation from us, you are officially registered.

Please ensure that you register prior to the day of the tournament! Registration closes five days prior to the event.

Food

We will serve a complimentary basic cold breakfast and be selling pizza at the tournament. As well, there are some eateries in Bethel not too far from the site.

Stats

Full and complete team and individual statistics will be posted within 24 hours after the completion of this event.

Please let us know if you have any further questions! You can ask in this thread or email [email protected] or [email protected].
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Founder of the Maine Quiz Bowl Alliance (MEQBA)
Bates College '25
Kings College London, Winter '24 Semester
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
Outreach and Technology, Florida Quiz Bowl Association
nicole.
Rikku

Re: MEQBA Northern New England Season Starter Tournament @ Gould Academy (9/25, KICKOFF Novice)

Post by nicole. »

Field (10/12):

Waterville High School (ME) (1-3)
Plymouth Regional High School (NH) (1)
Windham High School (ME) (2)
Marshwood High School (ME) (1)
North Yarmouth Academy (ME) (1)
Gould Academy (ME) (2)

Declared Interest:
Oxford Hills Regional High School (ME) (1)
Last edited by nicole. on Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 am, edited 20 times in total.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21
Director of Outreach, American Quizbowl League, Prometheus Science Bowl, and Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
troyharris
Wakka

Re: MEQBA Northern New England Season Starter Tournament @ Gould Academy (9/25, KICKOFF Novice)

Post by troyharris »

I will be checking with our kids this week, hopefully, to get an idea of interest.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Plymouth is in for 1 team. Hopefully we will have 2.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
nicole.
Rikku

Post by nicole. »

This went well. Final stats are here. Congrats to Plymouth for clearing the field and winning and Windham A for getting 2nd and going 6-1. We hope to see you at the next MEQBA tournament and at PAQT V in Plymouth, NH in October.

Thanks so much to Adam Leff from Gould Academy for coordinating hosting arrangements and being an all-around great help. As well, big thanks to our outside staffers Evan McMahan and George Tagtmeier, and the coaches who read, Troy Harris, Jessica Graham and Adam Leff. Lastly, I want to just shout out the generosity of the Gould Academy campus and staff, they were great and without them, this tournament wouldn't have gone on in the same way.
Nic Pruitt (they/them)

Bates College '25
Ridgewood '21