GFUEL - a (mostly video) games set - Winter 2022

Everything related to trash tournaments, including announcements, results, and discussion, goes here.

What day(s) work best for you?

Saturday, December 3
11%
Sunday, December 4
15%
Saturday, December 10
33%
Sunday, December 11
41%

Total votes: 27

paris
Lulu

GFUEL - a (mostly video) games set - Winter 2022

Post by paris »

I and some other UNC students/alumni are currently working on GFUEL (Games For Ur Enjoyment League), a difficult video-game-oriented set. There will be 6 packets of 20 power-marked tossups each. Difficulty will vary, but most questions should be gettable.

This set is currently being written by me (Ian He), as well as Josh Abel, Diego Almaraz, Michael Bucknall, Daniel Cronin, Vincent Du, Michael Eng, Jim Fan, Eric Gunter, and Kevin Thomas.

Distro:
6/0 Major publishers (2/0 Nintendo, 4/0 Other)
4/0 Indie
3/0 Culture (including but not limited to content on YouTubers/Twitch streamers and speedrunning)
2/0 Early (does not necessarily mean "retro"—any game that is among the first of its kind will be considered "early" i.e. flash games/newgrounds)
2/0 Non-video (including but not limited to board games, TTRPGs, and game shows)
3/0 Other/Any (including but not limited to VG music and game development)

This set will be finished by the end of November 2022. We will be holding an online mirror on December 11 at 4 PM EST.

If you would like to mirror this set for a side event, please contact me at ianhe723 [at] gmail [dot] com.

EDIT: added info on mirrors; we're also writing six packets instead of five
Last edited by paris on Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow He
UNC 2025
paris
Lulu

Re: GFUEL - a (mostly video) games set - Winter 2022

Post by paris »

Here is the link to sign up for our online mirror, which will occur at 4 PM EST on either December 3, 4, 10, or 11. I've created a poll so you can vote for the days that work best for you.
Crow He
UNC 2025
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

Based on the poll, we will be holding the online mirror on Sunday, December 11, at 4 PM EST. I'll send out more info via email closer to that date.
Crow He
UNC 2025
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Do we need to do anything to register beyond putting our names down in the Google Doc?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

Yes, please email me at ianhe723 [at] gmail [dot] com just to confirm that you've signed up.
Crow He
UNC 2025
paris
Lulu

Post by paris »

Thank you to everyone who played the online mirror and gave feedback! Congrats to Dr. Negman's Mean 15 Machine on their victory (although they technically tied for 1st in terms of wins/losses with Sam Barlow's Goncharov and Is He Next Up Out of Garreg Mach??). I would also like to thank all the writers for their contributions and for their help with logistics! A big thank you to all the staff as well!

We are considering holding a second online mirror sometime in January or February. I'll put out a poll soon to gauge interest and decide on the exact date, so keep an eye out.
Crow He
UNC 2025
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

This set was great! A good balance of interesting content, deep cuts, and fun clues that were all well-written and edited. Highly recommend to anyone interested.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021