NAQT rules and policy changes for 2022-2023

Elaborate on the merits of specific tournaments or have general theoretical discussion here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT rules and policy changes for 2022-2023

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT has made a number of changes to its rules and policies for the 2022–2023 season.
naqt.com wrote: Gameplay Rules

We made the following changes to the NAQT Gameplay Rules (highlighted on the page):

All occurrences of “2 seconds” have been changed to “3 seconds.” This affects Rules G.4, G.6.c (time a player has to begin answering after being recognized on a tossup), I.4.d, I.4.e (time to provide revised responses after being prompted), and F.8.d (moderator needing additional time to consult with other game officials or evaluate a response).

Specifying that replacement questions must be played with the same lineup as the question being replaced, with a procedure for possible variation (Rule E.4.f).

Stating the existing practice that “what the moderator heard” is not protestable, though the moderator may revise their decision based on consultation with other game officials (Rule J.9.e).

Two clarifications to rare cases related to protest resolution (Rules J.13.f and J.13.h).

Hosting Policies

We collected a variety of policies related to hosting local tournaments in a single page. Most of the items on that page are not new.

The most significant change is that we have dropped our old geographic exclusivity policy for high school tournaments and replaced it with a general set of principles that guide us in assigning question sets to tournaments (of all levels). However, if a host has already started (before this announcement) the process of setting up a tournament that the old policy would have applied to, the host may request (by September 1, 2022) that we treat their tournament under the old policy, and we will make every reasonable effort to do so.

Eligibility Rules

In the Middle School Eligibility Rules and High School Eligibility Rules, we clarified the rules about what combinations of schools a player may play for and emphasized the existing rule that transfers between schools count as dual-enrollment.

In the Community College Eligibility Rules and Collegiate Eligibility Rules, we clarified eligibility for students in non-degree programs.

Qualification Rules

In the qualification rules for the Middle School National Championship Tournament, Small School National Championship Tournament, and High School National Championship Tournament, we fleshed out the qualification criterion based on non-NAQT state championships and made it also apply to other championships of equivalent- or larger-sized administrative divisions.

Other

For team-based secondary championships (the Middle School National Championship Tournament, Small School National Championship Tournament, and High School National Championship Tournament), teams will be required to pay their registration fee by the beginning of the tournament unless other arrangements are made well in advance. (Payment at check-in is permitted, though not preferred.)

For collegiate national championships (the Community College Championship Tournament and Intercollegiate Championship Tournament), teams will be required to pay their registration fee or provide evidence of progress toward doing so within one week of registering (unless they are registered and coached by a school faculty member).

We amended the Privacy Policy to allow the partial redaction of player last names in certain cases.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred