Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (transportation side event) - re-announcement

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).
CPiGuy
Auron

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (transportation side event) - re-announcement

Post by CPiGuy »

It has been over three years since the original announcement for this set and so I have decided to start a new thread rather than significantly editing the old one.

I am writing a set called Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. This set will consist of 5 rounds of tossups on the history, geography, culture, and infrastructure of transportation. The difficulty of this set will range roughly from "college regular difficulty" to "why the hell would you ever consider tossing that up, Conor?". Tossups will be powermarked.

I will not be sticking to a strict distribution; I would rather write questions on things that I find interesting rather than on things that fill in the gaps, and also given the nature of this tournament there will be a lot of questions that I could only subcategorize as "mixed". Despite the name, all modes and types of transportation will be fair game for this set, including the occasional question on fictional things. I will try to balance the packets to have fairly similar blends of content (i.e. I will not be putting half the train tossups in the set in packet 3 or anything like that).

I plan to have this set ready to be played by spring 2023. Assuming side events are permitted, I would like to see it played as a side event at several of next year's national tournaments. Otherwise I will look to have it run over the summer. There will be at least one online mirror no matter what.

This set is being run at MSNCT and HSNCT.
Last edited by CPiGuy on Fri May 12, 2023 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (transportation side event) - re-announcement

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

Are there plans for this set to be mirrored during nationals season?
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF
CPiGuy
Auron

Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (transportation side event) - re-announcement

Post by CPiGuy »

Heiliger Dankgesang wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:35 pm Are there plans for this set to be mirrored during nationals season?
Yes. I am not going to announce anything until the set is, uh, finished, but I would like to run it as a side event at several national tournaments this year (and perhaps also on CO Sunday if there are not that many other side events planned for then).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

This set is going to have at least one online mirror TBA, and is also open for use at side event weekends if people want to run it. Let me know.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
Heiliger Dankgesang
Wakka

Post by Heiliger Dankgesang »

Just wondering— are there plans for this set to be posted to the archive?
Jacob Egol
Duke '23
Ranney '19
ACF