Open HSNCT 2-Day Mirror @ Toronto (August 13-14, 2022)

Old college threads.
Calculus?
Wakka

Open HSNCT 2-Day Mirror @ Toronto (August 13-14, 2022)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada and surrounding regions!

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce our eighth annual 2-day open mirror of the HSNCT set, to take place here at the University of Toronto in-person on Saturday, August 13th and Sunday, August 14th. Exact building and rooms TBD. This tournament will start at 9:00 AM sharp, please be in or outside the control room at 8:45 for announcements and setup.

Fees and Discounts

NOTE: THIS FEE IS PER DAY. If you want to play both days, you will have to pay both times, but if your team has played the first day, you will receive a discount for the second day.

Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: -$10 per functioning set
Moderator discount: -$10 per functioning moderator
Buzzer anti-discount: +$10 if you tell us you’re bringing a buzzer set and then show up to the site with no set or an unusable set, barring some emergency circumstances.

Second-day fee: $60*

*This fee will apply to your team if you played the first day already. It cannot be combined with other discounts.

Registration and Eligibility

This mirror is completely open, so anyone in good standing with the quizbowl community is eligible to play. High school players are welcome, as are players from outside of Canada.

You may register a team or register yourself as a free agent and we can help you find a team to join.

To register, please send me an email at meghan DOT torchia AT mail DOT utoronto DOT ca. If possible, please let me know if you will be claiming any of the discounts.

Payment

We're coming out of two years of playing online tournaments so I KNOW you all have your online payments sorted out. As a result, I will no longer be accepting cash or cheques as payment for in-person tournaments. I will accept either Interact e-transfer (for Canadians) or PayPal. If you are joining us from the US or another country, you MUST pay me using PayPal. Payment apps like Venmo, CashApp, etc. are not available in Canada and I cannot use them to accept payment. If for some reason none of these options are feasible to you please reach out and we can work something out.

Note on masks

Although U of T's mask mandates are being lifted July 1st, we are requiring that all attendees to this tournament wear masks at all times, except for the usual eating/drinking. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy please let me know.

Field

Saturday
Jesse's Team
Parth's Team
念陳文志,李宇辰﹑吴雯莹,周詣宜﹑雖然異姓,既結為兄弟,則同心協力,救困扶危;上報國家,下安黎庶;不求同年同月同日生,只願同年同月同日死。皇天後土,實鑒此心。背義忘恩,天人共戮!
Queen's A
Erik's Team
Queen's B
obamna
A Visit from the Crab Rangoon Squad

Sunday
Jesse's Team
Parth's Team
Makmaasidaat Daihok
Queen's A
Erik's Team
Queen's B
obamna
A Visit from the Crab Rangoon Squad

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here or send me an email. See you all in August!
Last edited by Calculus? on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Open HSNCT 2-Day Mirror @ Toronto (August 13-14, 2022)

Post by Calculus? »

A team formation spreadsheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please note that just filling this out does not count as a registration, you MUST email me to register as well.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

The registration deadline for this is 11:59 PM on August 3 due to the notice needed to book more rooms -- you can request to play after this deadline but I reserve the right to decline your registration.
Meghan Torchia
Calculus?
Wakka

Post by Calculus? »

Here is a copy of the logistics email I sent out. If you need any of the information that's redacted please contact me privately.

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for signing up to play and/or staff the 2022 HSNCT 2-Day Mirror this weekend. This is your logistics email. Please read it carefully and reach out to me as soon as possible if you have questions, if I missed something, or if anything about your registration has changed.

Please note that masks are mandatory at this event. If you forget yours, we will have extras on hand to give you.

This email applies to both days of the tournament.

Schedule

We have 8 teams registered per day. On both days we will be playing a 7-round round robin followed by a rebracket and a 3-round playoff, for a total of 10 rounds per day. There will be an advantaged final if necessary.

The control room for this tournament will be room [REDACTED] of [REDACTED]. Please be in or outside the control room by 9:00 AM for opening announcements and setup. This is a time-limited event. If you are late we will start without you.

[REDACTED info on the building]

If you haven’t given me a team name, you can still give me one, it won’t appear on the scoresheets or schedule, but it will be recorded in the stats.

Technology (beep boop)

Although this is an in-person tournament, we will be using a Discord server for communication with teams and staff. The server link can be found [REDACTED]. Upon joining the server, please react to the honour pledge in order to receive access to the channels. Please also change your server nickname to your real name.

Payment

Please check the two locked tabs on the team formation spreadsheet (linked on HSQB) to see what I have for your fee for either day. Make sure this fee is correct and let me know if you think it isn’t.
Please pay the U of T quizbowl club (NOT ME) by Interac e-transfer at uoftquizbowl [A T] gmail [D O T] com. The e-transfer should auto deposit. Include in the notes which team you are paying for. We would prefer to receive your entire team’s payment in one transfer and have you sort out the division on your own. For non-Canadians, I will accept PayPal if e-transfer is not possible for you. Apps like Venmo, Cashapp, etc. are not available in Canada. If you have any issues with payment please let me know. Please try to have your payment sent by the beginning of the tournament tomorrow so we don’t have to chase you down and/or shame you.

Cheating and Stuff

Cheating is banned at this tournament, you already know that, and you will agree to not cheat when you sign the honour pledge. Please be nice to each other. Rude or unsportsmanlike behaviour will not be tolerated, and neither will racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other kind of bigotry.
I think I’ve covered everything you need to know. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, and I will of course be available all day during the tournament. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!

Meghan
Meghan Torchia
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

This was delightful. Thanks for the fun intro to the canadian circuit. Thanks to Meghan and the mods for the well-paced and smooth tournament. It aas very cool to meet y'all and play some quizbowl.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21