MOIST (Summer Regs Tournament, 8/6)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
komododragon655
Wakka

MOIST (Summer Regs Tournament, 8/6)

Post by komododragon655 »

Hello! I am excited to announce MOIST (MSQB Madness Online Invitational-not Summer Tournament), a high school open tournament running this summer on August 6th!

We will be using Discord and Buzzin.live for this tournament. Players are expected to have a device that can access Discord and Buzzin.Live, as well as a setup to show two hands.

Set
This tournament will be using MSQB Madness II. It is composed of 7 tossup-only packets of high school regs, and 1 tossup-only packet of regs+. There is a replacements packet of nine tossups. Question difficulty is similar (possibly slightly harder) to RAFT, but expect more experimental/creative answerlines. This set is written by middle school and high school players participating in a summer packet submission tournament, with about 60 tossups written by the editors. This set is certainly of good quality, due to the work of our editors: Aalok Bhattacharya (Staples), Andrew Gao (Chenery), Cindy Gao (Belmont), Charles Heydt (Midtown), Aditya Khambekar (Seven Lakes), Lukas Koutsoukos (Wilton), Sam Macchi (Belmont), and Neev Sahgal (Darien), who have all contributed to multiple high-quality sets. A past version of the set is available here. Tossups range between 500 and 650 characters, and a distribution is linked here. A full list of writers is also available on the distro doc.

We will be also opening this set up for mirrors, please email me at [email protected], and I would be happy to provide you the set at a cost of $2/player.

Rules
We will be using NAQT rules with two modifications: timing will be 5/5 and rounds will consist of 20 tossups with one-tossup overtime if needed — any rules about bonuses and about receiving a bonus after getting a tossup correct should be disregarded. Players must have 2 hands visible at all times.

Format
This tournament's field will be capped at 16 teams. The format will be created so that most (if not all) teams play all packets of the set, 7 rounds of prelims/playoffs, and 1 round of finals/placement games.

The tournament will start with an opening meeting at 10:00 AM Eastern time. We expect it to end by 4:00 PM.

Fees
After paying staff, all proceeds from this tournament will go toward paying (mostly new!) writers and editors. Should we not collect enough registration fees to cover ~$200+ of staff pay, we will cancel. Each team should pay whatever they can, but the suggested price is $12 perplayer. Payment info will be sent out in a registration confirmation email.

Eligibility
Everyone in the class of 2022 or younger may play this tournament. This means that rising college freshmen may play, but not rising college sophomores. Teams can be open, meaning that they do not have to be composed of people from the same school.

Registration
Teams may consist of up to 6 people, though only 4 may play at a time.

A team formation sheet is here -> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
There is a column on the right to put yourself down as a free agent.

Once a representative from your team has emailed me at [email protected], and I respond with a confirmation email, you are officially registered.

Staff
Staff will be paid $15 for a full day of staffing. The tournament is only 8 tossup-only packets, so we do not anticipate this tournament lasting longer than 6 hours. Please email me at [email protected] if you wish to staff.
EDIT: We are not looking for staff anymore.

Stats
There will be live up to the round stats uploaded to hsquizbowl.com. There will also be live up to the game stats facilitated by a TJ Sheets add-on I created. There will also be category stats.

Contact
Please email me at [email protected] if you have any questions!

EDIT 2: MSQB Madness II will have 7 regs packets, not 8 as previously stated. Our field cap is now 16 so we can do 7 rounds of prelims + 1 placement game.
Last edited by komododragon655 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
Chenery Middle School '23, Belmont High School '27
Pandruwu Sheetz, ex-MSQBRank
2022 MS IPNCT Finalist (3rd), 2022 MSNCT Finalist (2nd), 2023 MSNCT Champion
[email protected] | pandruwu on Discord
komododragon655
Wakka

Re: MOIST (Summer Regs Tournament, 8/6)

We are no longer looking for staff! If you are eligible, you should sign up and play!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

MSQB Madness II is being mirrored for Summer Holiday Duos. More mirrors are certainly welcome!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

We are up to our field cap on the team formation sheet, though we only have 10 teams officially registered. Starting now, newer teams who have not registered officially will be bumped to the waitlist should a team email me saying they wish to sign up to play MOIST, so please email me at [email protected] to register officially!

Though it is optional, I have only received payment from 3 teams and I greatly appreciate their generosity. To make this tournament run, we will need more money to be able to pay staff and the writers of the set. Please consider paying any amount, no matter how small!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

All 16 teams on the team formation sheet are officially registered! If you are looking to play, please sign up for the waitlist- there is a good chance we will expand the field!

We have currently received a total of $96 from three teams (Hoover, Manheim Township, and Team 6 (tbd)). We do need to pay staff for this tournament, so it would be greatly appreciated if other teams could pay at least $15 to cover the cost of a double-staffed room.

Additionally, we have added another mirror, a HS open duos mirror (for class of 21 and younger). The tournament is on September 17th, and more details can be found here.
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

MOIST registration is closing today at 11:59 PM EDT -- there is still room to register if you are interested in playing!

Teams on the waitlist should expect to be promoted to the field, though we will finalize the details and schedule tomorrow. After today, if your team drops or no-shows, your team will be required to pay a flat $45 fee. Please try to finalize rosters and team names today!

Staff and teams will get emailed on Monday with tournament details.

EDIT: The field has been expanded to 20 teams. This will likely be final. We currently have 19, but if we can get 20, that would remove byes!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

We are looking for 1 more staffer for this! DM me on Discord (pandruwu#0754) if you'd be interested in staffing from 10-4 EDT on 8 rounds of tossup-only regs for $15.

Stats will be updated (hopefully live) tomorrow here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7563/
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

This tournament finished about an hour and a half ago! boy's jitches (with a perfect 8-0 record) defeated Losing hurts but heheheha hurts more in the final 190-75. Stats are here: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7563/

Big thanks to all the staffers: Aditya Khambekar, Amal Balunchanduhar, Anthony Zhao, Christian Oh, Cindy Gao, Henry Morales, Lukas Koutsoukos, Meghna Rao, Melody Zou, Padraig Finan, Pranavkrishna Bharanidharan, and Sivaneyan Vivekanandhan. Aalok Bhattacharya helped to resolve protests.

I would also like to thank all 20 teams for playing—I hope y'all had fun!

Lastly, if you have not already, you should play MSQB Madness II!
Andrew Gao (he/him)
komododragon655
Wakka

Two mirrors of the set used for this (MSQB Madness II) have finished, and we still have two more—DONUT, and an unannounced closed MS mirror!

We are still seeking mirrors until the end of 2022, so please email me at [email protected] if you would be interested. The mirror fee is $2 per person, so $8 for a 4-person team.
Andrew Gao (he/him)