EMIT II (10/8/22) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-212A

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

EMIT II (10/8/22) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-212A

Post by mithokie »

I am happy to announce the second annual Eastern Montgomery Invitational Tournament (EMIT II) to take place at Eastern Montgomery High School in beautiful Elliston, VA on Saturday October 8, 2022. The school is easy to access from Interstate 81. Traveling from the south, the school is located at the only stop light on U.S. 460, 10 miles North from Exit 118. Traveling from the north the school is located 6 miles south on U.S. 460 from Exit 132.

AFFILIATION: This tournament is an NAQT qualifier for both SSNCT and HSNCT, as such the top 15% (plus ties; rounded up) of the field will qualify for the HSNCT in Atlanta, GA. More details about HSNCT qualification can be found here: HSNCT qualification Eligible schools may qualify for SSNCT in Chicago, IL through the process outlined here: SSNCT Qualification We have not yet received affiliation with PACE-NSC. We anticipate that we would likely receive gold status with PACE. If this does indeed occur, we would then qualify 20% of the field for the 2023 PACE-NSC in a yet to be determined location. PACE-NSC qualifications (for 2022).

QUESTIONS: The question set for this tournament is the NAQT introductory set IS-212A. It is the responsibility of each team in attendance to ensure that it has not been to another tournament where it would have already heard this question set.

FORMAT: Our initial field cap is 18 teams but we reserve the right to expand the field should our staff and physical resources allow. We are going to guarantee seven rounds of competition for everyone, with a target 8-10 matches for all teams. Trophies will be given to the top three teams and we usually award the top ten individuals with some sort of prize.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $75 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work; max of 2 buzzer systems)
Staff discount: $15 off Teams providing an experienced quizmaster or scorekeeper to work the tournament can receive this discount if the name and email contact of the worker is provided to me no later than Friday September 30, 2022. This discount will be provided on an as-needed basis.
Travel discount: $15 off school's total fee if you have to travel more than 150 miles one way as determined by Google Maps.
Welcome back to quizbowl discount: Teams that have not attended a non-VHSL competition in person since March 2020 are eligible for a discount of $25 off of their first team.
Minimum fee: Discounts can be stacked to bring a team’s fee down to $0.
To Register: Use the NAQT Tournament Registration System:

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players.

FOOD: Concessions will be available for breakfast, snack, and lunch items. While I encourage teams to take advantage of the concessions, I cannot guarantee the availability of vegetarian options at the concessions as I am not in charge of their operation. As we are not conveniently located close to fast food restaurants, I encourage you to pack lunch in if you do not wish to purchase the concessions lunch.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Matt Beeken at [email protected] . We look forward to seeing you all here.
Last edited by mithokie on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Re: EMIT II (10/8/22) Eastern Montgomery High School (Elliston, VA) IS-212A

Post by mithokie »

Field Update:

See Tournament Field
Matt Beeken
Math Instructional Coach
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

We reached our field cap of 18 teams today. Teams can continue to sign-up and be placed on the waitlist. Should any teams drop from the tournament teams will be added from the waitlist.

Additionally, if I can secure all necessary resources in staff, buzzers, and rooms to expand the field we will consider a field expansion. Teams on the waiting list will be considered for potential field expansion.

That said, if anyone is in the area that I have not already reached out to, and would like to volunteer to staff for this event, please contact me at [email protected].
Matt Beeken
Math Instructional Coach
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

The tournament is done and stats have been posted.

We found out last Friday that we were awarded Gold level Certification for our tournament, which means that the top 20% of the field earn bids to PACE-NSC.

We ended up with 18 teams, although one of them (labeled Christiansburg) ended up being a Christiansburg/Orange County hybrid. One match was carried forward from prelims to playoffs (match between teams from the same prelim pool that went to the same playoff pool).

Staaaaaaaaaaaats!!!:
Prelims
Playoffs
Tiebreakers
Final Placement/All Games

NAQT results

Congratulations to our tournament champion, Raleigh Charter(NC)
and to runner-up, Northmont(OH).
Both of these teams will earn bids to HSNCT and PACE-NSC based on their performance.
Also earning a bid to HSNCT and PACE-NSC was 3rd place finisher, Richlands A.
The 4th place team, Orange County A, has also earned a bid to PACE-NSC.

Also qualifying for SSNCT-Open DIvision was Early College at Guilford A.
Both Richlands A and Richlands B qualified for the Traditional Division of SSNCT.

Our top 10 individual scorers from the 5 preliminary competition rounds were awarded with book prizes and medals; these included:
1. Aditya Sharma, Raleigh Charter (119 ppg, 28 powers)
2. Joey Simmons, Richlands A (108 ppg, 16 powers)
3. Jackson Hamilton, Orange County A (87 ppg, 12 powers)
4. Emi Kadolph, Cave Spring A (87 ppg, 11 powers)
5. Adam Williams, Northmont (86 ppg, 23 powers)
6. Alex Kagan, Virginia Episcopal School (60 ppg, 7 powers)
7. Ave Rieger, Northmont (51 ppg, 12 powers)
8. Tanner Hogsten, Orange County B (51 ppg, 5 powers)
9. Ethan Ririe, Blacksburg A (44 ppg, 4 powers)
10. Ryan Crawford, Virginia Episcopal School (43 ppg, 4 powers)

Thanks to all teams that came and competed with us. We hope to see you again next fall when we do this again. Best wishes to everyone in the area for a great season. I also want to thank the numerous volunteers that helped make this tournament go pretty smoothly after some typical AM hiccups (reader had to bail at the last minute and one team's bus was very late).
Matt Beeken
Math Instructional Coach
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org