Collegiate Quizbowl opportunities and/or advice for a potential new team in Colorado

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
DomTom03
Kimahri

Collegiate Quizbowl opportunities and/or advice for a potential new team in Colorado

Post by DomTom03 »

Hello! I'm a freshman at Colorado College who was involved in Quizbowl during my senior year of high school, and naturally, I'd like to continue and hopefully start a team here! I'm unfortunately discovering however, that playing opportunities may be hard to come by given the geographic isolation of Colorado from prominent areas of Quizbowl activity. Consequently, I'm reaching out to see if anybody knows of any active teams in the Mountain West area, or any other fellow geographically isolated teams, that would be interested in creating tournament opportunities with one another, be that online or in person? I'm also wondering whether anybody knows of any online tournaments that would be good to target, beyond the online ACF sites? Thanks!
Dominic, Colorado College
Alejandro
Wakka

Re: Collegiate Quizbowl opportunities and/or advice for a potential new team in Colorado

Post by Alejandro »

UC Boulder used to have a team, although I don't know if it's active any longer. Colorado is sadly pretty isolated when it comes to the collegiate circuit. I'd look for online tournaments. Boise State or one of the Kansas schools for tournaments would have in-person tournaments that would be the closest to you, but I'd check the College Announcements section or the College quizbowl calendar to see what's accessible.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
DomTom03
Kimahri

Re: Collegiate Quizbowl opportunities and/or advice for a potential new team in Colorado

Post by DomTom03 »

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Dominic, Colorado College
Pyrotechnik
Kimahri

Post by Pyrotechnik »

I know this is a year-old post, but is there any news about your team?
SD Mines is working on their quiz bowl team, and we'd love to help you all out if you need it!!
Because trust me, we also feel the pain of being in the most sparsely-populated part of the lower 48 :lol:
Shelby Solem (she/her)
SD Mines '23, QB team president
--------------
Solo rischiando tu vivrai. ✸