On November 28th, QuizDB will cease operation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

On November 28th, QuizDB will cease operation

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Hello all,

I have been unofficially retired from Quizbowl and the Quizbowl community since the start of the pandemic, so I regret that this is my only communication since then, but I must announce that on November 28th, QuizDB will no longer be hosted online.

On that date, Heroku will be removing several of its free service tiers. Heroku provides server and database hosting for QuizDB. As I already pay a moderate amount just for domain hosting and other Heroku service tiers and am not willing to continue doing so or paying more, nor am I willing to put in the development work to find alternate options, this is as appropriate a moment as any for me to (officially) discontinue QuizDB support.

By the 28th, I will make one last database dump to my public S3 bucket. In addition to the open source code, this will be all that remains of QuizDB.

I will not monitor this thread, nor any messages sent through the forums or Discord. You are free to email me, but I cannot guarantee that I will respond via email either. I still code for a living and am happy to discuss interesting ideas, including some form of handing off QuizDB, but cannot contribute any code myself any longer.

Thank you for the many fond memories from my time playing Quizbowl. I apologize for any inconvenience QuizDB's removal may cause.

PS. I assure you the timing along with Twitter's demise is coincidental.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Re: On November 28th, QuizDB will cease operation

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

F
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
Texas Über Alles
Kimahri

Post by Texas Über Alles »

Does anyone have any recommendations for sites with a similar function to QuizDB (packet database sorted by difficulty that can be searched through) that I could use for studying after QuizDB goes offline?
Bryce Cruise
Heights ‘24

“Knowledge is a competition to you, and you always feel you have to win it.”-Anonymous teammate
Henry Bylinowski
Kimahri

Post by Henry Bylinowski »

Texas Über Alles wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:50 pm Does anyone have any recommendations for sites with a similar function to QuizDB (packet database sorted by difficulty that can be searched through) that I could use for studying after QuizDB goes offline?
aseemsDB.me is a similar idea but it is a bit of a pain to use because it pulls up entire packets that contain the query rather than an individual tossup/bonus. The upside, however, is that aseemsDB has a much more updated database than quizDB.
Henry Bylinowski
Baker High School 2020-2024
thedoge
Lulu

Post by thedoge »

Luckily, I just made a replacement. See viewtopic.php?t=26495
Geoffrey Wu
NNHS '21 | Columbia '25
creator of qbreader.org
Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!!
Rikku

Post by Krik? Krik?! KRIIIIK!!! »

Maybe the real treasure was the stock clues we learned along the way. Thank you Raynor for your time and effort on quizdb, and thank you Geoffrey for picking up the torch.
Ganon Evans
Misconduct Representative
ACF President, PACE VP of Editing, MOQBA
Francis Howell High School 2018, University of Iowa 2021
Henry Bylinowski
Kimahri

Post by Henry Bylinowski »

Qbreader.org has added a database that has a much more up-to-date collection of packets than QuizDB. It could be used as an alternative to any other sources. Thanks again to Raynor for such a useful resource.
Henry Bylinowski
Baker High School 2020-2024
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

I have just uploaded the final dump of QuizDB to my public bucket: https://quizdb-public.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... _admin.zip. This is a simple zipped copy of the full SQL dump of QuizDB, excluding user information. This file should be served here indefinitely in posterity (unless Amazon bins my account for whatever reason).

To anyone who learns about QuizDB's closure (only) from this thread -- I apologize, I intended to update the website with a disclaimer as well, but the server configs are apparently so out-of-date new bundles of the website won't even build anymore.

QuizDB will gradually go down tomorrow (Nov 28) as I shut down the various server and DNS configs.

Thanks for all the assistance from the community over the years.

PS. I'm very impressed by the new QB software. Best of luck.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM