2023 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-30, Chicago

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2023 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-30, Chicago

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2023 Small School National Championship Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont, Illinois, on April 28-30, 2023. This is the same hotel that hosted the 2022 SSNCT.

The field for the Traditional Public Schools Division is limited to 77 teams. The field for the Open Division is limited to 55 teams.
Full details

Qualified teams may register here

Current field

Last updated 4/3 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: 2023 NAQT SSNCT: April 28-30, Chicago

Wildcard applications and standby signup for the 2023 SSNCT are now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

What is the likelihood of field expansion?
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
Important Bird Area

We're working on the possibility of expanding the field. Exact numbers and timeline will depend on staff recruitment.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2023 SSNCT has been expanded to 55 teams in each division.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the Traditional Public Schools Division of the 2023 SSNCT has been expanded to 66 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the Traditional Public Schools Division of the 2023 SSNCT has been expanded to 77 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

I have a weird suggestion about the prelim format for this tournament.

The last few years, SSNCT prelims have not used a card system, instead dividing the field into pools of 11 and having them play a round robin, with teams finishing 6-4 or better making playoffs. This is by no means a bad format, but it strikes me as suboptimal for a few reasons:
-- SSNCT is very hard to seed correctly, meaning that some brackets will unavoidably result in (potentially significantly) easier or harder paths to the playoffs.
-- Tying playoff progression to final record, rather than placement in a bracket, exacerbates this issue to some extent. Different brackets (which are theoretically composed of teams of the same average skill) send different numbers of teams to playoffs, dependent on the patterns of who upset whom.
-- Teams (especially those near the bottom and top of the field) get to play significantly fewer games against opponents of similar skill level. For the top teams, this may not be a big problem, but for the bottom teams, coming to nationals and getting to play only one or two games in which you are not massively blown out is not a good experience. I know multiple coaches of teams at the lower end of the field last year commented on their disappointment with the format.

However, with the current field sizes, using a 10-round card system is three or four rounds too much -- there would be a lot of games in the last few rounds between teams with significant differences in record, and a lot of rematches in the top and bottom of the field, leading to similar issues with unfairness of strength of schedule (except this time even nearly perfect seeding would not ameliorate it, because it would be down to luck of which cross-record games had which outcomes). We saw these issues the last time SSNCT ran with a card system (of the top 10 teams in the open division in 2019, only two didn't have any rematches in prelims, 6/10 had at least two rematches, and one team played three rematches!)

My proposal is to make the pre-lunch games and post-lunch games two separate, 5-game, card system tournaments.
In the simplest version of this, teams would play 5 games by card system before lunch. Then, after lunch, teams would be reseeded by their pre-lunch records/statistics, receive new cards, and play another 5 games by card system. At the end, as usual, teams with 6 or more wins would make the playoffs. This would have the following benefits:
-- I have not mathematically verified this, but I think it should be possible to guarantee avoiding rematches within a 5-game card system, or at least make them very rare. This means that most teams would play zero rematches (although some teams at either end of the bracket would probably play one rematch), a significant improvement over the 10-round card system.
-- This format would be significantly more seeding-resilient; the card system in general is quite seeding-resilient, and teams would literally be seeded for the second half based on their actual performance at the tournament -- one of the best seeding methods I can think of!
-- While teams wouldn't get the full benefit of a 10-round card system in terms of playing opponents of similar skill (in particular, rounds 1 and 6 would both be characterized by blowouts, like round 1 at other card-system-based NCTs), teams at the ends of the field would get a lot more meaningful prelim games than they would under a round-robin system.

The system could probably also be engineered to seed the afternoon by the cards teams hold in the morning, which would make afternoon seeding slightly less accurate but make it possible to significantly reduce the likelihood of rematches in the afternoon (and reduce the need for handing out new cards during lunch!). This would also allow for slight tweaks like "do a 4-game card system first to seed for a 6-game card system", should something like that be preferred.

I also think this format would work well with any field size that's a multiple of 8 (or even 4), providing more flexibility for NAQT in terms of the increments by which they could expand the field. Here's a spreadsheet showing how this might go for some field sizes. It breaks pretty nicely -- the 60-team case is a little bit ugly but still has 22/30 of the last round games between teams of the same record and none more than 1 game off.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Important Bird Area

Thanks for the note, Conor. We're not planning on large-scale revisions to the format of the 2023 SSNCT, but we'll take this into consideration for future years.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Preliminary statistics for the 2023 SSNCT are now available.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Congratulations to the champions of the 2023 NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament!

In the Traditional Public Schools Division, Fair Grove (Missouri) defeated Piasa Southwestern (Illinois) 655-165. Fair Grove was also our Very Small School champion.

In the Open Division, BASIS McLean A (Virginia) defeated Alabama Cyber Tech 520-300.

Complete team and individual statistics are now available.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

As always, SSNCT was an absolutely stellar event! It remains our favorite tournament of the year. We already can't wait until next year. In the meantime, we will see many of you at HSNCT and/or PACE.

Thanks for a great experience.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Saratoga
Lulu

Post by Saratoga »

Amazing event as always. I thought I saw some people recording some games. Is this for something online or was it just a livestream thing or did I just completely misinterpret what they were doing?
Samuel McCoy
South Side High School Coach
Social Studies Teacher
Hookstown, PA
Important Bird Area

We recorded selected Sunday afternoon games from the Traditional Public Schools Division. The recordings will eventually appear on our podcasts page (but not soon; after the set is clear and after we finish editing the audio).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Saratoga
Lulu

Post by Saratoga »

That makes sense. Thank you
Samuel McCoy
South Side High School Coach
Social Studies Teacher
Hookstown, PA
osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

The team from the Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering had a fantastic time at SSNCT! The event was extremely well-organized, the questions were high quality (as usual), AND we had top-notch moderators and scorekeepers. Thank you, NAQT, for hosting such a wonderful event for our students.

Robin
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
Important Bird Area

Podcasts are now available of selected playoff matches from the 2023 SSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

osbornrj
Lulu

Post by osbornrj »

Will there be any podcasts added for the open division?
Robin Osborne
Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering (parent)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Greater Huntsville Section (Associate Fellow)
Important Bird Area

Unfortunately, we were unable to record any games from the Open Division at the 2023 SSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF